Files in Finder folders & stored in iCloud not visible when searched in Pathfinder

cotty

27 Jul, 2020 06:17 PM

I was looking in Pathfinder for a file I was sure I had but the likely folder appeared to be completely empty. I examined the folder in Finder and the file was there, but showing it had been stored in iCloud and available for download.

I have "Optimize Mac Storage" checked in System Preferences>iCloud.

I don't want to have to search through iCloud in the Sidebar (and Desktop and Documents Folders doesn't show up there anyway). I want the files I have put in folders to show they are in the folders even if the file itself is in iCloud but accessible through the folder.

Is that possible, or do I have to choose between Optimize Mac Storage and Pathfinder?

Please don't make me use the Finder.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 28 Jul, 2020 09:26 AM

Hi Cotty,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

I am to let you know that Path Finder can only display locally downloaded/synced files. There's not way to get to know about other files present only on iCloud server.

Unfortunately, this issue is something that any third-party file manager runs into as Apple does not share their private API for us to be able to adopt display of such files.

If you disable Optimize Mac Storage and download those files, Path Finder would be able to pick them up.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 Jul, 2020 09:26 AM.

3. cotty re-opened this discussion on 28 Jul, 2020 03:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by cotty on 28 Jul, 2020 03:38 PM

Since there’s a path in Finder to the iCloud files, there must be some kind of marker there. But PF can’t find it or read it?

I don’t need PF to be able to call the files down from the iCloud but it would be nice to know they were there, even if I had to go to Finder to actually get them.

Not possible?

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 Aug, 2020 01:08 PM

Hi Cotty,

There is marker for locally downloaded files, but not the ones that are stored online only. Unfortunately, it is not possible to display them and thus, show the path to them in such case. 

I am sorry for the inconveniences. We'll make sure to try to develop this further, however, not everything depends on us in such case, unfortunately.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Aug, 2020 01:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac