"An error occurred. File exists File exists"

Darrell Curtis

30 Jun, 2020 01:54 AM

I am running Path Finder 9.3.5 (2054) on an iMac running macOS Catalina 10.15.5

I am merging files in My Documents with a previous copy of same on an external Hard Drive. I launched Path Finder and did a Merge. I keep getting this error message when it encounters a file at the source and destination with the same name:

"An error occurred. File exists File exists"

I have seen several posts about this on your site, so thought I should write in for assistance.

See attached sample file from my Activity Monitor.

Thank you

Error

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 Jun, 2020 06:53 PM

Hi Darrell,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

In order for me to best assist you and try to reproduce the issue on my end, I would like to ask you to make a screen recording of the issue and send it to us.
      You can check on how to record a video recording here. After doing so, please upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other storage provider and send a link to me.

Please also attach the files you used for testing purposes, so we can try to reproduce your issue on our end.

Additionally, make sure to clarify what is the hard drive you are using (brand, capacity) and test if the same problem occurs when you have both files on your computer.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2020 06:53 PM.

3. Darrell Curtis re-opened this discussion on 03 Jul, 2020 12:50 AM

4. 2 Posted by Darrell Curtis on 03 Jul, 2020 12:50 AM

Hi, Mary.

The issue occurs at random times. I did create a video to show you how I am Merging the folders.

The first file that error out had a “.” In the filename. I could not locate the file to give you a copy to test.

I have put the other files I used in this Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b0zzy1zbadk3ke4/AACa0OXjlK4Zq396NOVVj72Ea?dl=0

The external hard drive is:Western Digital (WD) My Book Essential 2TB

If you need anything else, let me know.

Thanks,
    Darrell

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Sample_of_Path_Finder.txt 120 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac