PathFinder 9.3.5 excessive CPU usage (QuickLook-related?)

Jon R. Roma

28 Jun, 2020 08:29 PM

Since upgrading to PathFinder 8 and late 9, I've had a persistent problem with PathFInder pegging one of my four CPU cores at around 100%, even when I am doing nothing in PF. This results in me having to quit and restart PathFinder as much as a dozen times every day.

I can't vouch for this with any certainty, but my instinct tells me that this surge in CPU activity may relate to selecting files and hitting spacebar to bring up QuickLook. One sure-fire way to trigger this is to use the up/down arrows to scroll through files and see their QuickLook rendition, but it seems to also happen without any particular smoking gun.

I've used PathFinder for a long time, but I am wondering whether it is now time to part company. I previously offered to send whatever debugging information I can, but I never got a response. This is growing intolerable, and my patience is wearing thin. I am not going to stick with PathFinder forever if this fails to get attention.

System details: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G5033)
PathFinder 9.3.5 (2054)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Jun, 2020 08:01 PM

Hi Jon, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, thanks for reporting such issue!

I am here to let you know that indeed, back in early Path Finder 8 we've had some CPU usage issues, however, our developer was able to get it under control and fix the issue.

Sometimes, however, isolated cases of high CPU usage occur, but it can easily be lowered.

In this case, make sure to follow the suggestions to reduce the CPU usage:

1) Choose any .txt file, open Preview module preferences (gear button next to its header) and uncheck "Colorize syntax". 
    2) Restore defaults for View Settings (CMD+J). Make sure to have "Calculate all sizes" unchecked here. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2020 08:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac