Bug: Keyboard shortcuts apply during rename function

TheBloke

26 Jun, 2020 09:29 AM

Firstly, thank you Mary for the response to my feature request. I didn't want to re-open the ticket just to say that, so I will say it here!

Secondly, there's a bug that's been bothering me for a while that I thought I'd now take the time to report:

My system details:
Path Finder 9.3.5 (2054), on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

1. In Preferences->Keyboard I have rebound "Commands -> Delete..." to the Delete key, as shown in the attached screenshot.
  2. This causes an annoying problem when I try to rename a file.
  3. If I press the Delete key while renaming a file (to delete a character in the name), Path Finder recognises it as the Delete File shortcut, and immediately brings up the "This action bypasses the Trash. You cannot undo this action. Delete/Cancel" dialogue. If I clicked Delete here, it would delete the file I am trying to rename!
  4. Therefore I either can't rebind Delete to Commands->Delete (or any other action), or else I must remember to never press the Delete key while renaming files, and only use Backspace (which I also cannot then rebind). This slows me down, because I am used to using both keys as appropriate.

Suggested fix: During a file rename operation, key presses should not trigger any Path Finder shortcuts, and should apply only within that rename operation. If I rebind Backspace, Delete, shift + X, etc, these should not take effect when doing a file rename, except for manipulating the text within the filename as part of that rename.

Thanks very much.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 Jun, 2020 10:30 AM

Hi Tom, 

I appreciate your report!

Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this issue on my end, therefore, it seems like a bug on your side.

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Jun, 2020 10:30 AM.

3. TheBloke re-opened this discussion on 26 Jun, 2020 10:46 AM

4. 2 Posted by TheBloke on 26 Jun, 2020 10:46 AM

Hi Mary

Thanks very much for the super fast response.

The Sample is attached. Unfortunately I found it impossible to sample it while the issue occurs, as the sampling takes no more than a second or two, and I couldn't reproduce it in Path Finder quick enough. This sample was taken after I had reproduced it several times in succession.

I was surprised you were unable to reproduce it, so I made a quick screen recording to make sure it's clear what I'm doing and what's happening. It can be viewed here: https://streamable.com/x1gbk3 (I tried attaching it, but got an "Entity too large" error when I tried to submit, despite the attachments being lower than the 10MB limit?)

Thanks very much

Tom

5. 3 Posted by TheBloke on 26 Jun, 2020 10:51 AM

It just occurred to me that I should have been more specific in my original post: the issue does NOT occur when I use Commands->Rename, or hit Shift-Cmd-R, both of which bring up a separate Rename dialogue.

It only occurs when I use the in-view rename, accessed by clicking twice on a filename, or by using the Enter key.

I expect that's why you couldn't reproduce it.

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 08:40 AM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 08:42 AM

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Jun, 2020 08:42 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the sample and screen recording.

Unfortunately, even after your remark about specific way on how to access rename option I was still not been able to reproduce the issue. It might mean that this is the isolated bug.

Can you please provide us with an additional sample? Make sure to reproduce the issue several times once you open Path Finder and actually, proceed and delete the file you have tried to rename.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 08:42 AM.

10. TheBloke re-opened this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 10:04 AM

11. 5 Posted by TheBloke on 27 Jun, 2020 10:04 AM

Hi Mary,

How strange! Please find attached a new sample. This is the procedure I used to create it:

1. I first closed and re-opened Path Finder, so it was a fresh instance
    2. I re-created the issue 4 or 5 times in succession, clicking Cancel when the "Delete File" dialogue appeared.
    3. On the last reproduction, I clicked Delete and actually deleted the file
    4. Then I took the sample.

Hope this helps you get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

Tom

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Jun, 2020 11:12 AM

Hi Tom, 

Thank you for the sample! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 11:12 AM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 11:13 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screenshot_2020-06-26_10.14.41_kVcEUu.png 46.3 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac