Behavior with Default Folder X

morrie

13 Jun, 2020 03:16 PM

Whenever there is a PathFinder window open, it comes up as the selected window when I mouse over the area where it is, when using Default Folder X (while holding down the ctrl key), even if there are many Finder windows on top of it. In contrast, when there is no Path Finder window, only the expected topmost Finder window gets selected. I don't know what precedence rules Default Folder X uses to select the window, but somehow it is unable to select any Finder window on top of a Path Finder window. Is this a Path Finder or Default Folder X issue?

This is a problem for me because I usually keep my PathFinder windows pretty big taking up most of my screen, but in the back unless I need to use it, while I have many small Finder windows on top of it, so I can't get to many of those Finder windows using Default Folder X if PathFinder is open.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Jun, 2020 11:32 AM

Hi Morrie,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

In order for me to best assist you and try to reproduce the issue on my end, I would like to ask you to make a screen recording of the issue and send it to us.
      You can check on how to record a video recording here. After doing so, please upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other storage provider and send a link to me.

Make sure the access settings are modified in a way that will allow us to view it. I believe this is going to help us a lot!

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jun, 2020 11:32 AM.

3. Morrie Gasser re-opened this discussion on 14 Jun, 2020 03:42 PM

4. 2 Posted by Morrie Gasser on 14 Jun, 2020 03:42 PM

Here’s a demo of the bug. I have a Default Folder Open Dialog on the right, a Finder window on the left on top of a Path Finder window. Holding down control in the Open Dialog and moving the mouse into the Finder window on the left, where it overlaps the Path Finder window, brings the Path Finder window to the foreground instead of the Finder window, as if the Path Finder window was always in front.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdfupknfpv008x9/PathFinderDefaultFolderBukg.mov?dl=0

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Oct, 2020 11:15 AM

Hi, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

Can you please specify if the following issue still persists once you update your Path Finder 9 to the latest version available, e.g. 9.4?

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2020 11:15 AM.

7. Morrie Gasser re-opened this discussion on 20 Oct, 2020 01:37 PM

8. 4 Posted by Morrie Gasser on 20 Oct, 2020 01:37 PM

Hi Mary,

Sorry, 9.4 it does not fix the problem. Even if the PathFinder window is behind all the Finder windows, Default Folder X still chooses the PathFinder window when I mouse over that area. It acts like the PathFinder windows are always on top of the Finder windows.

Morrie

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Oct, 2020 08:14 AM

Hi Morrie,
    I appreciate the update!

Can you please specify if you have any of these options chosen under Windows in the menu dock?

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2020 08:14 AM.

11. Morrie Gasser re-opened this discussion on 22 Oct, 2020 10:56 AM

12. 6 Posted by Morrie Gasser on 22 Oct, 2020 10:56 AM

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 Oct, 2020 10:32 AM

Hi Morrie,

I appreciate the screenshots!

I believe this might be a default expected behavior: even though your Finder window is on top, you are hovering your mouse and wait for couple seconds and thus, the system switches over to a folder underneath. 

You can try to close the Default Folder X app and try to test it dragging the folder from your Desktop to Finder and Path Finder respectively. On my end, I have received the same behavior as you do.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Oct, 2020 10:32 AM.

15. Morrie Gasser re-opened this discussion on 23 Oct, 2020 07:32 PM

16. 8 Posted by Morrie Gasser on 23 Oct, 2020 07:32 PM

I’m not sure what you are saying. When you say “dragging the folder from your desktop”, what folder are you referring to? If I drag a file or folder from my desktop onto a Finder window that is on top of a PathFinder window, nothing special happens if I hover the mouse over the Finder window. In order for PathFinder to pop to the front, I have to drag the file into a part of the PathFinder window that is showing. If it’s completely blocked by the Finder window, it does not pop to the front.

Have you actually tried using Default Folder X? In the file save or open dialog, hold down the control key and hover the mouse over a Finder window that is on top of a PathFinder window. The PathFinder window shows up, not the Finder window.

17. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Oct, 2020 09:18 AM

Hi Morrie,

I have tried using Default Folder X on my end, and I can clearly receive the same behavior you do. Therefore, I have said that it might be the default behavior, though I can agree that my original example was not the best one to provide with.

After checking with the Default Folder X's website I have uncovered the following passage:

"The graying out behavior we're experiencing when hovering the mouse is a part of Default Folder X's "Finder-click" feature. Whenever you move the mouse over a Finder window, Default Folder X draws a gray shadow over the window. This shows you that clicking on the window will switch to that folder in the file dialog." I believe this also applies to Path Finder as it is also a file manager like Finder (we also accept to give access to Path Finder when both Path Finder and Default Folder X's open / save dialog is opened).

In this case, I believe this is not an issue related to Path Finder itself coming upfront (as it remains on the background while usage), but Default Folder X's feature, therefore, I would highly suggest contacting their support to clarify the expected behavior in this case.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, do not hesitate to let us know!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2020 09:18 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac