Old Path Finder Bugs Fixed in 9.3.x?

morelli

25 May, 2020 10:30 PM

I keep getting nag screens asking me to upgrade to version 9.3.x. (I currently have version 8.6.)

There are a ton of old issues that I've been waiting years for Cocoatech to address, as I'm sure we all have. I doubt many if any users are upgrading, but just in case, I thought I'd ask.

1. Does PF 9.3.x still have the bug that prevents the tool bar from accepting dropped objects?
  2. Is PF 9.3.x still unable to share files by, for instance, AirDrop?
  3. Does PF 9.3.x still have broken search functionality (where all words in a search are connected by OR, even if enclosed in paretheses, but multiple criteria are always connected by AND)? Also, can PF understand Finder smart searches yet?
  4. Does PF 9.3.x introduce any useful new features? I can't really tell from the changes description. Of course, other recent versions have focused almost exclusively on UI changes that add no useful functionality. But one can hope ...
  1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2020 11:22 AM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2020 11:23 AM

3. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 May, 2020 11:23 AM

Hi Robert,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

You can avoid further automatic checks by writing into Path Finder preferences directly from the terminal. In Terminal.app execute:

defaults write com.cocoatech.PathFinder SUEnableAutomaticChecks NO

That should disable automatic update checks, manual checks will still work.

As for your further questions, I am more than happy to answer them: 
    1. In PF9.3 the toolbar prevents dropped objects and it is the expected behavior. You can drop the files on your Bookmark bar to create a bookmark.

1. Our developer is working on the AirDrop feature at this moment and it will be added in further releases.

2. As for the search feature, it is indeed, yet to be developed.

3. In PF 9.3 versions we have added tags colors (labels) drawing mode preference: ribbon, badges or combined, set brightness of label/tag colors for light and dark system mode and fixed several bugs.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2020 11:23 AM.

5. morelli re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2020 01:17 PM

6. 2 Posted by morelli on 26 May, 2020 01:17 PM

The drag and drop issue I was referring to began with Mojave and was repoorted as a bug in 2018, for instance here: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/116897-cant-drop.... It was reported in this discussion forum repeatedly since that time, for instance:
    https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/125684-still-no-...
    https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/134324-cant-drop...
    https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/141692-dragging-...

Cocoatech always claimed it was due to Apple changing the behavior of its toolbar component. Since Finder continued to have the ability to drop items on its toolbar, it always seemed to be a fishy excuse, but I'll assume that Apple for some reason didn't want your developer to know how to use its operating system.

It was announced here
    https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/116412-cant-drop...
    that cocoatech had given up trying to fix the problem and had switched to a different interface for placing custom tools on the toolbar. I guess my follow up question is: did you finally implement this alternative interface in the shipping version of PF9 and is it still working?

As for my questions 2. and 3., you seem to be acknowledging that PF still hasn't addressed them, but is instead fiddling around with something about how it draws tag colors.

I have raised 3 basic functionality issues that are working in Finder, but not in Path Finder, and I could add others. Path Finder is supposed to be an enhancement of Finder, but at the moment it seems that in many ways Finder has been an enhancement of Path Finder for several years. In view of this, I suggest you remind your developer that Path Finder is not his hobby; it is a business. As such, it behooves him to prioritize basic functionality like sharing files and searching. If he enjoys working on tweaks to how tags are drawn and things like that, he can always fiddle with Linux in his spare time.

7. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 28 May, 2020 05:34 AM

Hi Robert,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

The reason why some features similar to the ones in Finder can't be implemented in Path Finder 100% is because Apple does not share their APIs. The APIs for such applications at most times are strictly confidential (which is understood) and therefore, can't be adopted by developers.  

As for the dropping items into Bookmark bar, it is up and running!

I understand how frustrating it might be not to be able to use Path Finder in full as the Finder, for example, however, I am here to let you know that our developer tries to do his best and implement the features available to develop. Some features take time and this is why it is so time-consuming.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2020 05:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac