Will you charge an upgrade price from PF8 users for the use of PF9 from May 26 on?

cdsign

22 May, 2020 08:42 AM

I wonder whether Cocoatech will really ask PF8 users to pay for a PF9 upgrade from May 26 on?

PF8 was a huge disappointement. It caused a lot of trouble and, in the end, meant a huge waste of time for me.

Cocoatech was wise enough to let PF8 buyers use PF9 without paying for the upgrade, but this grace period will be over in a few days. I hope that Cocoatech will think twice about that.

I spent money for a useless and annoying version 8, and I think the next upgrade price you should charge from me is for PF10. In my eyes, I gave my share for a working version of PF, when I purchased version 8, but I didn't get it from you.

If you want me to pay for version 9, I will abandon PF.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 May, 2020 01:33 PM

Hi there,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

The date of when you would need to upgrade your license from PF8 to PF9 depends on when you have initially purchased the license. You have purchased yours on 2019-05-26. As the new version of license was released in October you was able to update your application to Path Finder 9 and would be able to use it until total of your 12 months. After 12 months pass, your application will ask you to upgrade your license.

In this case there are two choices to proceed: either upgrade your PF license to the latest one or uninstall PF9 and install PF8 using it forever.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible for you to upgrade directly to PF10 when it is out in October 2020, as the upgrade is possible only from a previous version of Path Finder, in this case, from PF9. It is technically impossible to upgrade from earlier versions at the moment.

I understand that there are some issues with the PF9 that might arise after the updates, however, this is something that can be resolved if the information is gathered and passed to our developer.

Thanks for being Path Finder customer. Let me know should you have anything else I can address.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 May, 2020 01:33 PM.

3. cdsign re-opened this discussion on 25 May, 2020 09:15 AM

4. 2 Posted by cdsign on 25 May, 2020 09:15 AM

Hi Mary,

on the long run, it is of little use to me to get one year of free usage of PF9, when I will be charged for a software I have already purchased.

I paid you for PF8, which is probably the worst version you ever published. It only meant a lot of extra work for me. PF8 was the caricature of a file managemnet tool. It broke my workflow. It was time consuming.

In my eyes you still owe me a functional version of PF. I paid you on May 26, 2019, trusting that the piece of software you had been selling to me would be worth the price. It wasn't. I would have been better off to stay with PF7, definitely.

So, do you really believe, I pay again, now for PF9, after I had been using it for a year? In my eyes, PF9 is the substitute version you owe to all buyers of PF8.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 May, 2020 01:09 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching back to us!

We completely understand your frustration considering the fact that you had several issues using Path Finder. We're very sorry for the amount of struggles you have experienced. 

Indeed, PF8 had some issues while operating as any other application after the big update is deployed, however, nevertheless, the application was operational as the issues reported were fixed with further sub-releases. Even though we really want to, it is technically impossible for us to provide you with a free upgrade.

In this case, we could suggest using Trial period of Path Finder 9 and if you would like it enough to purchase, to upgrade your license from PF8 to PF9 for $18 as per the upgrade discount. In case if you would not be satisfied with the version, let us know, and we'll refund you the charge if the charge was made within the last 60-days.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 May, 2020 01:09 PM.

7. cdsign re-opened this discussion on 25 May, 2020 07:11 PM

8. 4 Posted by cdsign on 25 May, 2020 07:11 PM

Thanks for answering again, Mary.

I can't imagine it is impossible to prolong the "grace period" one more time (until PF10 is released), since you already did that about two months ago and then give PF8 users a special discount for the purchase of PF10.

You wrote:
    "... the application was operational ..." Sorry, no it was not.

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 May, 2020 05:03 AM

Hi CD,

Just to clarify: two month ago we have extended Trial period application-wide due to the coronavirus situation, however, we cannot set grace periods locally, for a certain user.

Additionally, the discount provided was not for PF10, but for PF9.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2020 05:03 AM.

11. cdsign re-opened this discussion on 27 May, 2020 05:18 AM

12. 6 Posted by cdsign on 27 May, 2020 05:18 AM

We are talking at cross purposes, Mary, so let's give it up.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2020 04:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac