Photos library size incorrectly displayed

Dan W

21 May, 2020 02:13 PM

I am in the process of skinnying down my Photos library. Since I've started, I've probably shed 20-30 GB of data. The odd thing is that the more photos I cut, the bigger Path Finder thinks my library is getting. I've attached two screen caps, one showing PF's Get Info Window and the other showing the Finder's. I scanned the drive with Daisy Disk and it confirms the Photos library size at about 80-some GB. I've been running frequent Time Machine backups and purging the deleted files within Photos itself, so I have no idea where PF is seeing all this extra bloat. Any idea what might be causing the discrepancy?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 May, 2020 01:44 PM

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for reaching out to Path Finder support team!

Path Finder reports the real used space including the backups, cache, recently deleted (moved) files etc, while Finder cheats a bit by excluding them from the used figure, assuming they are temporary. 

Can you please specify if you have deleted the files permanently? After you delete files on Apple devices, for 30 days they are still stored under deleted.

Additionally, check the total amount of existing files under Photos as sometimes some files might be stored on iCloud and thus, downloaded only when navigated to.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 May, 2020 01:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac