3rd or 5tyh Call for Help re: Sidebars . . . I really forget how many times I have asked. This is my last.

Michael Silverman

19 May, 2020 11:52 PM

To Whom It May Concern:

I did receive a response to the apparently ongoing and global Path Finder issue of disappearing Sidebars -- this about a week or two ago, today being 19 May 20. But never a response to my follow-up.

However, it was apparent from the initial response that the responder had NOT read what I had written, as she -- as did Jordan in discussions I have just finished reading on your site -- recommended saving one's Sidebars.

Had she with minimal interest read my request for support, she would have seen -- as I subsequently informed her -- that I have always saved and named both right and left sidebars (via sidebar settings) for the past 3 or 4 versions of Path Finder.

No response, acknowledgement or follow-up was issued.

Now, having subsequent once again rebuilt and SAVED both Left and Right sidebars, i.e., as "Sidebar.ms-L" and "Sidebar.ms-R" I went about my computing business. While today, a week or so later -- still without a follow-up to my response -- both sidebars again disappeared.

One of the questions I had asked support -- and was again not answered -- was confirmation of where the sidebars were saved. I proposed that sidebars were probably saved either in the /Application Support/Path Finder/Settings folder and/or in the . . . /Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist file. Again, MY REQUEST FOR CONFIRMATION WAS NOT ANSWERED.

I'm an old Windows user of Directly Opus, with whom I never received over several years such shabby, ineffectual treatment. I believe I neither pester nor rejoice in posing needless questions. While I assume Opus dealt with far more users than you.

So I give up. As Your support is lacking, i, in turn, will no longer support you.

Consider perhaps that I am more than a disgruntled complainer; that perhaps there is an element of truth in what I have written; that perhaps there are some questions that merit being answered.

I do acknowledge many admirable aspects of your program. However, I no longer will struggle with maintaining such a basic component as your Sidebars..

Michael Silverman

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 May, 2020 11:59 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to Path Finder support team!

I am very sorry for the experience you have encountered. I understand your situation, and I am here to clarify the things that seemed not clear previously. 

I have doublechecked with our developer and I can confirm that preferences are stored under this folder within the next file:

~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder) ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (file) 

Therefore, it is crucial to have both folder and file saved on your end, just in case Path Finder reverts to default. You would need to copy the file back within a folder I named.

I do understand that it is very disturbing to see your settings getting reverted, and I apologize for the inconveniences. Our developer is already aware of this problem, and we'll try to fix it in the upcoming releases.

Once again thank you for your patience and consideration!
    Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2020 11:59 AM.

3. Michael Silverman re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2020 03:18 PM

4. 2 Posted by Michael Silverm... on 26 May, 2020 03:18 PM

Hello, Mary:

I appreciate your response.

My concern is based upon the fact that I have tried most MacOS file managers, and Path Finder seems to be the most competent and complete.

Fortunately I have through both screen shots and Findersaved my sidebar settings, so that, when disappearing, the bar can more easily be rebuilt.

It is good to know your staff is aware of the issue and affirm my concept of where settings are stored.

Prior to leaving a review on-line in your support section, the sidebars had once again disappeared; while replacing saved settings and restarting did nothing to correct the issue. But then, suddenly, the sidebars reappeared. I'm a a loss to understand why and look forward to a solution.

Be well,
    Michael

On 5/26/20, 4:59 AM, "Path Finder Support Team" <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: 3rd or 5tyh Call for Help re: Sidebars . . . I really forget how many times I have asked. This is my last.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to Path Finder support team!

I am very sorry for the experience you have encountered. I understand your situation, and I am here to clarify the things that seemed not clear previously.

I have doublechecked with our developer and I can confirm that preferences are stored under this folder within the next file:

~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder)
        ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (file)

Therefore, it is crucial to have both folder and file saved on your end, just in case Path Finder reverts to default. You would need to copy the file back within a folder I named.

I do understand that it is very disturbing to see your settings getting reverted, and I apologize for the inconveniences. Our developer is already aware of this problem, and we'll try to fix it in the upcoming releases.

Once again thank you for your patience and consideration!

Best Regards,
        Mary
        Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/167209-3rd-or-5tyh-call-for-help-re-sidebars-i-really-forget-how-many-times-i-have-asked-this-is-my-last

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 28 May, 2020 02:43 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for updating us on this matter!

It takes some time for program to "update" itself and locate the preference settings you have previously set up, that's why it did not happen right away as it had previous default setups in use already.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2020 02:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac