Dropbox for Work integration

chris

16 May, 2020 08:23 PM

I often need to share files from my work Dropbox Account. This is a breeze to do with Finder, but NOT PathFinder - see first illustration.
Now I know I COULD go to my options, unlink my personal DB, and then link my work AC, but then I'd be left in the same situation on my private DB Account.
I've been waiting for this feature for some time - in fact it is the ONLY reason I started the trial for version 9 - hoping I would find full DB integration, but alas I find DB is only HALF integrated, and I still have to use Finder for these operations.
Could you please add an option to also link a Work Dropbox account with PathFinder?
[Edit - I actually decided that I'd prefer to link my work DB, so I did Unlink/relink my DB account, and when linking I was presented with a dialog acking which account (personal oe work) to link to. I chose my Work DB, but PF did NOT change - it is still linked to Personal DB]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 May, 2020 08:36 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out to Path Finder support team!

As you can read in our Knowledge Base article (http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/features-and-development/dropbox-in...), once linked to a Dropbox account, Path Finder can execute Dropbox related functions without Dropbox.app running, but integration is still dependable to Dropbox.app in a way that Path Finder can be linked ONLY to the account to which Dropbox.app is linked. In other words, when linking Path Finder to your Dropbox account, you have to choose the same account you've chosen in the Dropbox.app, because Path Finder uses information stored in Dropbox.app configuration files.

I just want to point out we're trying to make Path Finder working with multiple Dropbox accounts, but it's not easy at all.
    Even what we have now is partially based on reverse engineering of Dropbox.app configuration files. We asked Dropbox guys for support (not only for multiple Dropbox account issue, but for Dropbox integration in general) many times, but they apparently decided to ignore us. We're sorry we can't do more about this issue at the moment, but we will take it into the account while further development processes.

When you re-link your personal and work accounts, make sure you have restarted Path Finder to make sure the changes have been made.

Should you have anything else I can help you with, do not hesitate to let me know!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 May, 2020 08:36 AM.

3. chris re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2020 03:55 AM

4. 2 Posted by chris on 21 May, 2020 03:55 AM

Hi Mary,

Thanks for replying. I now appreciate your problem. Too bad Dropbox
    doesn't support better integration. However, I still can't link to my
    work account, in spite following unlinking and re-linking.

I recorded a short video to show my problem.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/90wphz8ujhc5zhn/Screen%20Recording%202020-05-21%20at%2013.44.33.mov?dl=0

For now though, I'll put up with it being linked to my personal account
    I guess.

Chris

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 May, 2020 02:44 PM

Hi Chris,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

I have tested everything on my end, and I am able to reproduce this issue. This issue happens when your main Dropbox application is linked to the incorrect account and as it is being connected to one specific folder it won't allow you to link another account connected through Path Finder to the same very folder, therefore, the path does not change.

In this case, please make sure you have connected the correct account in your main application and Finder as it captures the very same setups.

Additionally, make sure you have restarted Path Finder after unlinking and re-linking accounts.

If the issue would still persist in spite of re-linking the main account, let me know and we'll dig into this further.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 May, 2020 02:44 PM.

7. chris re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2020 10:11 AM

8. 4 Posted by chris on 24 May, 2020 10:11 AM

Hi Mary,

Thanks for persisting with me, but there is clearly something amiss.

I have unlinked DB from my private account, DB is linked ONLY to my work
    account

PF "appears" to be linked to my work account

BUT...

Even after completely restarting my computer, PF does NOT give me any of
    the DP options in my DP folder like Finder does, nor does it give me the
    DP icons for my work DB.

PATHFINDER

FINDER

NOTE - One small exception
    My "personal" *Chris Weish *folder in my work account has the DB options...

I can live without this. But would be nice if it worked. Honestly, I'm
    only providing this information in case it helps YOU, nit to have a
    whinge about the product.

Chris

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 May, 2020 08:23 AM

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for getting back to us!

First of all, please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experience. I will make sure to pass feedback to our developer, so he can try to develop Dropbox feature further.

May I ask you to follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces according to the article: 
      http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...
      (The AppCleaner option is highly recommended) 
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site

3. Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests

4. Test your Dropbox once again.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards, 

Mary

Path Finder Support Team 

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 May, 2020 08:23 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac