Pathfinder File Tagging Oddities

rgdeagle

07 May, 2020 03:24 PM

I'll apologize in advance for this. I am using the Pathfinder trial and finding odd behaviors with regard to file tagging. This might be long-ish, and I'm not exactly sure if I'll be able to articulate the odd behavior that I am seeing. I'll start with an example:

If I am in a word processing document with random bold-type words throughout, and I quickly want to remove the bold type, I select all of the text in the document (CMD+A) and click the 'Bold' button, which applies the bold type to all of the selected text. I would then click the 'Bold' button again, removing the bold type from all of the selected text. This is MUCH quicker than manually selecting all of the bold-type words in a multi-page doc, then clicking the 'Bold' button to remove the bold type.

Now, applying this methodology to Pathfinder, and its handling of adding, or removing, tags to files...

If I have a directory of files, with mixed tags (some with a single tag, others with no tags), and I want to remove the tags from the files that have them, it is easier to simply select all of the files, then attempt to click the color of tag that I want to remove, wait for the tag to be applied to those files that do not yet have a tag, then repeat the process to remove the tag from all of the files.

What I've seen in doing this is that Pathfinder is not capable of processing the tags and throws an error any time I attempt it. In a nutshell, the only option for successful tag removal is to manually select each tagged file (which can be a pain in a large directory), then using the context menu, select the color of the tag to remove.

Summary of screenshots attached:

1. Directory listing showing mixed tagged/untagged files
  2. Context menu reflecting proper tag applied to file
  3. Context menu reflecting proper lack of tag applied to file
  4. All (mixed tag) files selected
  5. All (mixed tag) files selected, click tag color
  6. Tagging error
  7. Result (one file untagged)
  8. Started over (removed tag from #5 from several files). Selected ONLY untagged files, and context menu option to add tag.
  9. Tags applied to untagged files as expected.

Essentially, Pathfinder can't handle removing/adding tags when the files selected are mixed (some tagged, others not)?

1. 1 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:26 PM

Since I couldn't attach all of the screenshots to the OP (even though the cumulative size is only a third of the specified 10MB limit):

2. 2 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:27 PM

Since I couldn't attach all of the screenshots to the OP (even though the cumulative size is only a third of the specified 10MB limit):

3. 3 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:27 PM

4. 4 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:27 PM

5. 5 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:29 PM

6. 6 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:29 PM

7. 7 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:30 PM

8. 8 Posted by rgdeagle on 07 May, 2020 03:32 PM

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 May, 2020 08:20 AM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 May, 2020 08:21 AM

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 09 May, 2020 08:21 AM

Hi there,

Mary from Path Finder support is here!

After trying to reproduce your issue on my end, I was not able to do so, therefore, to investigate this issue further we would need some information about the following issue.

Can you please specify the macOS and Path Finder version you are using? If the Path Finder is not of the latest version, make sure you have updated to the latest 9.2.0 version before testing it once again.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 May, 2020 08:21 AM.

13. rgdeagle re-opened this discussion on 09 May, 2020 12:56 PM

14. 10 Posted by rgdeagle on 09 May, 2020 12:56 PM

The OS X version is 10.15.4 (this version shipped with my Mac) and the Pathfinder version is the current version from the site (within the past two weeks; I'm not home to query the exact version number).

15. Support Staff 11 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 May, 2020 03:00 PM

Hi there,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

In order for us to dig into this deeper, we would need to know the version of the Path Finder you had while having this issue. As our developer have already released two new sub-versions in Path Finder 9 within the last month it would be of a most importance to get the version correctly.

In addition, I would ask you to make a screen recording when the following issue occurs.

You can check on how to record a video recording here. After doing so, please upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other storage provider and send a link to me.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 May, 2020 03:00 PM.

17. rgdeagle re-opened this discussion on 15 May, 2020 08:21 PM

18. 12 Posted by rgdeagle on 15 May, 2020 08:21 PM

I checked for an update this morning, and it appears that my current version was 9.2. Version 9.3.2 was available, so I downloaded and installed it. The behavior remains.

I will follow your suggestion to make a screencast, and reply with a link. I likely will not get to it today, but will try to get it done shortly.

Thanks for the follow up!

19. 13 Posted by rgdeagle on 15 May, 2020 10:02 PM

I found the time to put together a (rudimentary) simulation of what I am seeing. Notes for each video (3 total) are as follows:

'1. Select one RANDOM file in the list of files
    Context menu > Add tag SUCCESSFUL

Select all files (CMD+A) (selection is mixed, with one tagged and XX untagged)
    Context menu > Add tag FAILURE (error message and last file in list remains untagged)

Select untagged file
    Context menu > Add tag SUCCESSFUL (nothing wrong with the file that would prevent tagging)

Select all files (CMD+A)
    Context menu > Remove tag SUCCESSFUL

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z11LZ6MM1kGtpG0wh2aw0dcLGNoaJ8tt

'2. Select LAST file in the list of files

Select all files (CMD+A) (selection is mixed, with one tagged and XX untagged)
    Context menu > Add tag FAILURE (error message BUT all files are tagged)

Select all files (CMD+A)
    Context menu > Remove tag SUCCESSFUL

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LsdkxhVxq3qwqUadGF3lpwnGF4XfFzjB

'3. Select one RANDOM file in the list of files

Select VARIOUS files (NOT ALL files), to include newly tagged file (selection is mixed, with one tagged and XX untagged)
    Context menu > Add tag FAILURE (error message and last file in selection is untagged)

Select untagged file of selection
    Context menu > Add tag SUCCESSFUL (nothing wrong with the file that would prevent tagging)

To go further (continuing where Number 3 left off)...

Select all files (CMD+A) (selection is mixed, with multiple tagged/untagged files)
    Context menu > Add tag FAILURE (error message; last file in selection is untagged, along with another sporadically placed file)

Select remaining untagged files individually
    Context menu > Add tag SUCCESSFUL (nothing wrong with the files that would prevent tagging)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I4iCy9NaPAacVFt66lPA5w2yMENVPQSD

Synopsis: The error and lack of tags I am seeing are (usually) related to the last file in the list of selected files, regardless of how many files are selected (all or some; the fact that the selection of files is mixed tagged and untagged seems to be the issue).

Number 1 displayed an error and left the last selected file untagged. Number 2, even though the error was present, was not affected in the same manner as Number 1, because the last file was already tagged. Number 3 also exhibited the error message and left the last selected file untagged. The multiple tagged files at the end of Number 3 produced odd results...

The demonstrations I've given are very simplified, with the directory containing few files (i.e. the issue could be 'rectified' by simply manually selecting the files that require application/removal of tags). However, in large directories, this workaround is simply not ideal.

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 May, 2020 01:06 PM.

21. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2020 01:07 PM

22. Support Staff 14 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 May, 2020 01:07 PM

Hi there, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, thanks for such extensive explanation. I have reproduced the following issues on my end as well.

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. We would highly suggest making a sample for each of the versions of issues you got and reported to us with a video recording.

Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 May, 2020 01:07 PM.

24. rgdeagle re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2020 03:44 PM

25. 15 Posted by rgdeagle on 21 May, 2020 03:44 PM

Hello Mary,

Thank you for reaching out. I don't have access to the newer Mac (with the newest PF) until the end of the weekend. I currently only have a MBP (on El Cap, running PF 8.6). While the issues are reproducible, and I took the requested samples, I'll wait to get back to the current machine before sending the samples (considering that I'm not sure how useful the samples would be from an old version of PF).

I'll check back in on Monday with samples from the current OS/PF.

Take care!

26. Support Staff 16 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 May, 2020 08:58 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching back to us!

Indeed, it would be better if you can send us a snapshot samples from your newest macOS as PF9 is not compatible in full when using on macOS El Capitan.

Looking forward to your snapshots!

Stay safe!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 May, 2020 08:58 AM.

28. rgdeagle re-opened this discussion on 25 May, 2020 02:29 PM

29. 17 Posted by rgdeagle on 25 May, 2020 02:29 PM

I attempted to perform all actions during the sample collection, however the sample collection duration is so short, I never could get all of the actions into the window of collection. Even pre-staging the initial tagged files, I couldn't squeeze it in.

As a result, I performed the actions outlined in the videos (exactly; I pre-staged the same initial tagged file, selected the same files for tagging, etc.) and once the error message popped up, I collected the sample without clearing the error.

Evidenced by taking multiple samples, I collected a sample corresponding to each video (with the different actions being taken and differing results, I wasn't sure if the various samples would contain variable (read: potentially more helpful) information.

Note that the 4th sample corresponds to the "Further" section in video 3 above (where there are multiple pre-tagged files versus a single file, which results in multiple files being left untagged after the error, versus simply leaving the last file in the list untagged).

30. Support Staff 18 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 May, 2020 09:11 AM

Hi there, 

Thank you for the samples! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

31. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2020 09:11 AM.

32. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2020 09:29 AM

33. Support Staff 19 Posted by Dragan on 26 May, 2020 03:03 PM

This is actually an error when trying to apply common tags to multiple files, some of which already have the same tag. I reproduced this, thanks for reporting. The fix will appear in the upcoming update version 9.3.4, which will officially go out in about five days.

34. Dragan closed this discussion on 26 May, 2020 03:03 PM.

35. rgdeagle re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2020 04:51 AM

36. 20 Posted by rgdeagle on 28 May, 2020 04:51 AM

Excellent! Thank you for the work!

37. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2020 05:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac