Just too many problems

Lawrence Sanchez

23 Feb, 2020 09:43 PM

I've been using pathfinder for what seems like about the better part of a decade. I can't remember exactly when, but I think it was with ver. 7, I started having some fairly major problems that weren't there before. Since then, and continuing with versions 8 and now 9, I've come to the point that I just can't continue using it because it's just not stable or reliable enough. In just a couple of days of having paid for ver 9, and installing it on a brand new 2019 i9 iMac, I've experienced crashes, icons freezing up so that I can't move them, the sidebar not retaining how I set it up, icons not appearing on the desktop, and an issue that was the log that broke the camels back. I was dragging and dropping .mov files from pathfinder to FCPX, and the files completely disappeared. They are gone. No where to be found. Like, deleted permanently. Sorry but, all of this is really waaaay too much trouble. And today, the finder is not as bad as it used to be. Best of luck cocoatech.

1. 1 Posted by ctgreybeard on 23 Feb, 2020 09:47 PM

I'm on the verge of the same decision. The bugs are piling up.

2. 2 Posted by dmwesq on 25 Feb, 2020 08:50 PM

Today I posted two separate help requests. I have posted several others over the several years of using the program and skipped version 8 altogether. I made the plunge to version 9, but I have to say I'm on the verge of giving up as well. I don't care for the answers I get if I get any answers at all. Things I used to be able to do in PF7 are either impossible or harder to accomplish, and now I have files disappearing in PF although they are visible in Finder, and I'm actually using ForkLift to supplement what I can't do in PF. I would abandon PF for ForkLift if not for one or two features that PF has the FL doesn't.

3. 3 Posted by paul on 26 Feb, 2020 05:06 PM

Same here. Just upgraded to the latest release and it no longer opens, quitting straight after loading. I, like you, would jump ship immediately only for a number of features all under one roof. However, if the roof is just about to cave in maybe the time has come to look elsewhere.

4. 4 Posted by dteplow on 26 Feb, 2020 05:58 PM

Same here. I had switched to ForkLift when dragging and dropping files/folders onto the toolbar broke, but now, with frequent crashes and loss of plist files, I'm thinking of switching back to ForkLift. It's a shame.

5. 5 Posted by paul on 26 Feb, 2020 11:14 PM

Might just hang around and see if that roof can be repaired. Just installed 9.0.8 and all seems well, even licence and settings seem to be restored so no messing around with fonts colours etc.

6. 6 Posted by Sangie Wolf on 01 Mar, 2020 05:46 PM

I have switched back to using Finder. It's so slow to respond and doesn't save my favorites in my sidebar after reboot. I have been using it since version 7 and I'm not impressed anymore. I too have an i9 iMac and the performance is unbearable.

7. 7 Posted by Lawrence Sanche... on 21 Mar, 2020 06:03 PM

Just an update.
    I never received any support, much less a solution to anything, despite having reached out to cocoatech. I've switched back to the Finder and, while I do miss a few features, it's much better than having to deal with the problems in Path Finder. The Finder is reliable and I never have any problems with it, unlike Path Finder, which is just problem after problem.
    Maybe I'll check back on this app in a few years to see how it's doing. But for now, I'm outta here. Good luck all!

8. 8 Posted by Bob on 22 Mar, 2020 10:47 AM

I have to agree. Cocoatech support is just the bitbucket. Never a response.

Setting up my sidebar, then having PF9 crash, and when restarted doesn't retain my settings. Sheesh. How hard can that be to program?

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 Mar, 2020 08:04 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for the poor experience with our support. I went through and followed up on your support topics, please do get back and we would do our best to resolve your issues.

Regarding the settings issue, if you have a good way to reproduce the issue, please do let us know - it would be of great assistance! As of now, we are aware of the issue and working on improving the robustness of our settings/preferences storage, but since we were not able to reproduce the issue we aren't able to test and iterate fast enough.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Mar, 2020 08:04 AM.

11. ctgreybeard re-opened this discussion on 24 Mar, 2020 01:53 PM

12. 10 Posted by ctgreybeard on 24 Mar, 2020 01:53 PM

I’m sorry but this is Too Little, Too Late. I have stopped using the app as
    I have not received any response at all to my specific issues. And I don’t
    mean a resolution or fix, I mean no response at all.

Sorry,
    Bill Waggoner

13. 11 Posted by simon.stapleton on 24 Mar, 2020 03:35 PM

Yeah, I'm out as well. Been using Pathfinder since forever, the first email I still have is a bug report I sent in May 2008, but it's now got to the point that simply running PF is dragging my machine to its knees, and too much basic functionality is just plain busted. Hell, for a "developer" type tool to fail to preview text files, and for so long I forget...

I've gone back to finder. I miss the drop stack, I miss a couple of other features, and Finder doesn't sort properly, but hell - it's fast and what it does do, works.

Good luck guys, but I've had enough.

Simon

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 01:17 PM.

15. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 01:19 PM

16. Support Staff 12 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 Mar, 2020 01:19 PM

Hi Simon,

We've switched to native (Cocoa) syntax colorized and this should improve the text preview performance drastically!

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 01:19 PM.

18. simon.stapleton re-opened this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 01:34 PM

19. 13 Posted by simon.stapleton on 25 Mar, 2020 01:34 PM

Hey Jordan.

Yeah, I saw, got the new update, excitedly expected to get preview. And indeed, preview of text files I got. Performance is indeed improved, as there is actually a preview of text files. It remains on screen for a total of about 2 milliseconds before disappearing again. Unfortunately, although I can speed-read, I’m not *that* fast.

Tried killing all the preference files, application support, the lot. Spent far too much time. Still no worky worky.

stay safe

Simon

20. Support Staff 14 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 Mar, 2020 03:30 PM

Hi Simon,

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 03:30 PM.

22. simon.stapleton re-opened this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 05:02 PM

23. 15 Posted by simon.stapleton on 25 Mar, 2020 05:02 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Text preview does not display proper previews

Not sure what a sample’s gonna give you WRT text previews, but one is attached. Also a screenshot of what pathfinder was doing at the time, and the same file being actually previewed in the finder. Path finder *does* flash up a preview, ut it disappears straight away. Regardless of “theme”.

Simon

24. 16 Posted by ericfernwood on 29 Mar, 2020 01:09 AM

The latest release (Version 9.1 (2040)) is buggy (again). If it's been running a short while and double click to enter a subdirectory, it takes between 5 and 7 seconds to open. I have to force quit and restart very frequently.

I've used Path Finder for years, but since about 7, it has been very to extremely buggy. You are forcing many people to stop using your product. I do not want to do this but I am tired of running the "Alpha" version of the software. Honestly, does not one test these releases?

You have a good business but you are driving people away with you consistent poor quality. What are you doing about correcting the quality issues?

There are a lot of people on this thread that are asking the same question.

25. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 06:16 PM.

26. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 06:17 PM

27. Support Staff 17 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Mar, 2020 06:17 PM

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the details, I have forwarded them to our developers.

Hi Eric,

Which version of macOS are you running? Does this happen for all folders? How many files on average do you have in each affected folder?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

28. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 06:17 PM.

29. simon.stapleton re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 07:54 PM

30. 18 Posted by simon.stapleton on 29 Mar, 2020 07:54 PM

Hello.

Version 10.11.6*, but it’s been an ongoing issue for me on every recent version of OSX; can’t remember which version of Pathfinder brought in the “no preview of text” bug but it was a long while ago.

Number of files makes no difference. Just tried on a folder with one single text file, still no dice. Preview flashes up, goes away again.

Cheers

Simon

* Yeah, it’s out of date, but so’s the machine it’s running on.

31. Support Staff 19 Posted by Dragan on 29 Mar, 2020 09:16 PM

Simon, would it be possible to get a copy of that .scm file, that shows a preview for only a short while. Also, what happens if you turn off syntax colourising all together?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac