Pathfinder 9.06 authentication, Mojave 10.14.6

John G Mancino

14 Feb, 2020 10:01 PM

Whenever I try to move a file in pathfinder involving incorrect permissions, Pathfinder generates an error log file stating such. However, when I try to move the same file in Finder it puts up an authentication dialog. I am running as "Root User".

Can't there be an option in pathfinder that tells it to put up an Authentication Dialog instead of the log? This should be simple to address.

Attached is an Etrecheck Pro configuration report.

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Aug, 2020 11:11 AM

Hi John, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

Can you please specify if the following issue still persists once you update your Path Finder 9 to the latest version available, e.g. 9.4?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Aug, 2020 11:11 AM.

3. jgmancino re-opened this discussion on 24 Aug, 2020 06:07 PM

4. 2 Posted by jgmancino on 24 Aug, 2020 06:07 PM

Hello Mary,

Running 9.4, it still occurs.

For example, If I try to move App Store.app from the Applications to Utility folder I get the log file shown below. Same if I try to move the app to the Pathfinder desktop.

However, if I move App Store from a Pathfinder window to a Finder window or the Finder desktop it displays the standard request to authorize the move. It also displays the proper dialog in any Finder to Finder move.

It seems that if the Finder is involved in any way with the attempted operation the behavior is correct and if PF is left to its own devises it behaves incorrectly.

Because of this I have to leave a Finder window open so I can make moves like this. Otherwise in PF, I have to change the permissions of the file to move it and then remember to restore the original permissions when done with the move. With everything else that PF does very well, this is kind of a shocking problem which has persisted over various OS and PF versions. I have seen other posts complaining about this on various sites but have never seen a resolution.

Log copied below.

Thank you.

John

2020-08-24 11:42:00.118 Path Finder[33118] <Notice>: ===== Opening log session: moving sources
    (
    /Applications/App Store.app
    )
    to destinations
    (
    /Applications/Utilities/App Store.app
    )
    2020-08-24 11:42:00.118 Path Finder[33118] <Error>: Path: /Applications/Utilities Error:Permission denied.
    2020-08-24 11:42:00.119 Path Finder[33118] <Info>: Aborting operation.
    2020-08-24 11:42:00.119 Path Finder[33118] <Notice>: ===== Closing log session.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Oct, 2020 11:05 AM

Hi, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

May I ask you to follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces according to the article: 

http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...

(The AppCleaner option is highly recommended) 

1. Download the latest version of the app from our site

2. Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2020 11:05 AM.

7. jgmancino re-opened this discussion on 18 Nov, 2020 07:43 PM

8. 4 Posted by jgmancino on 18 Nov, 2020 07:43 PM

Hello Mary,

I just realized that I never got back to you on your recommendation.

I completely removed Pathfinder from my computer using AppCleaner and verified that it was completely removed by referring to the article on manual removal. I then installed a fresh copy of 9.4 downloaded from your site.

Unfortunately the behavior is still the same. I also tried Forklift 3.4.3 and it handled the move in the same way as Finder does - it put up a dialog asking for permission. Both Path Finder and Forklift have permission for “Full Disk Access”. So the problem seems to be internal to Path Finder and has been there since at least Path Finder 8.x.

At any rate, to summarize the issue, when I tried to move a small app to the Utilities folder using Path Finder 9.4, I received this Console Report:

--------------------

2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Notice>: ===== Opening log session: moving sources
    (
    /Users/JohnM/Desktop/Bar None.app
    )
    to destinations
    (
    /Applications/Utilities/Bar None.app
    )
    2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Error>: Path: /Applications/Utilities Error:Permission denied.
    2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Info>: Aborting operation.
    2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Notice>: ===== Closing log session.

————————

However, the identical operation using the Finder gave me this dialog:

The permissions for the Utility Folder are:

If you need more information, please let me know. I have been using Path Finder since the first version and love it but if this isn’t resolved I’ll regretfully switch to another Finder replacement.

Thank you,
    John

9. 5 Posted by jgmancino on 18 Nov, 2020 07:47 PM

Hello Mary,

I just realized that I never got back to you on your recommendation.

I completely removed Pathfinder from my computer using AppCleaner and verified that it was completely removed by referring to the article on manual removal. I then installed a fresh copy of 9.4 downloaded from your site.

Unfortunately the behavior is still the same. I also tried Forklift 3.4.3 and it handled the move in the same way as Finder does - it put up a dialog asking for permission. Both Path Finder and Forklift have permission for “Full Disk Access”. So the problem seems to be internal to Path Finder and has been there since at least Path Finder 8.x.

At any rate, to summarize the issue, when I tried to move a small app to the Utilities folder using Path Finder 9.4, I received this Console Report:

--------------------

2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Notice>: ===== Opening log session: moving sources
    (
    /Users/JohnM/Desktop/Bar None.app
    )
    to destinations
    (
    /Applications/Utilities/Bar None.app
    )
    2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Error>: Path: /Applications/Utilities Error:Permission denied.
    2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Info>: Aborting operation.
    2020-11-18 11:18:04.256 Path Finder[48739] <Notice>: ===== Closing log session.

————————

However, the identical operation using the Finder gave me this dialog:

The permissions for the Utility Folder are:

If you need more information, please let me know. I have been using Path Finder since the first version and love it but if this isn’t resolved I’ll regretfully switch to another Finder replacement.

Thank you,
    John

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2020 11:52 AM.

11. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Nov, 2020 11:54 AM

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Nov, 2020 11:54 AM

Hi John, 

I appreciate getting back to us! I am sorry that the solution did not work for you.

Let's try to do one more thing before escalating this further to our developer: please navigate to System Preferences and uncheck Full Disk Access next to Path Finder app, remove the app from the Full Disk Access list at all > reboot your computer and add Path Finder to the Full Disk Access folder and check the option to allow it again. Re-launch Path Finder and try to perform the same action to re-test the issue.

If the issue persists, could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2020 11:54 AM.

14. jgmancino re-opened this discussion on 21 Nov, 2020 06:11 PM

15. 7 Posted by jgmancino on 21 Nov, 2020 06:11 PM

Hi Mary,

Thanks for following up on this!

Unfortunately the behavior was the same after following the procedure you outlined.

Since I could not figure out a way to perform the file move during the activity monitor sample because of the speed of completion, I ran the sample both before and after the move. Both files are attached.

I do notice the significant difference in size between the two samples and don’t have a reason why. If you need me to rerun them under more stringent conditions please let me know.

At any rate, I hope these are helpful.

My best,
    John

16. Support Staff 8 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Nov, 2020 09:46 AM

Hi John,

I appreciate the update and files.

In order to sample the issue, simply open Path Finder and Activity Monitor, reproduce the issue and then, click on Sample the activity to generate a file. It should capture all the actions you did for the current usage session of Path Finder.

Once you re-sample the issue, attach it here, so I can further escalate this.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Nov, 2020 09:46 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac