Batch Rename Issue

Mat

14 Feb, 2020 06:56 PM

I wanted to use the batch rename function in Pathfinder today but got stuck where it appears to want me to type out the words I want removed (replace text) and then type in the new text below (with text). What do I do if every file I'm changing has a different name? I get why I need to type in the name I want all files to share, but why do I have to type in the name I want removed?
I like that I can control how much of the text gets removed - that can be handy - but what if i want a mass renaming of differently named files? In the example I gave a screenshot of, each file has a different name based on the time stamp in the file name...
I tried searching the online help and youtube videos, but they all skip over the most common type of file name mass replacement and show how to add a date and stuff like that.... not helpful at all.

1. 1 Posted by Rykos on 17 Feb, 2020 02:24 PM

Batch Remaining seems to be broken in Finder... And its been broken since Mojave. If you copy a file on your desktop it puts a "2" in front of it and if you go and copy it again it should number it up to "3", but instead you get "2 2" -_-... I'm not sure if this has been reported and much less how much Apple care to fix it, but it might be the same reason why your process is getting stuck.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2020-02-14_at_1.49.38_PM.png 162 KB
  • Screen_Shot_2020-02-14_at_1.53.48_PM.png 74.4 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac