iCloud Drive and Tags still not here - after almost two years and two new versions

Vlad

05 Feb, 2020 10:03 AM

Hey!

I'm still struggling with PathFinder and the iCloud Drive integrations AND Tags vs Finder Tags.

I reported this errors multiple times, first in April 2018 and lastly in July 2019:

The only thing I've got is the reassurance that the developers will someday look into it.

This problems are still here, after almost two years and two major versions: Take a look at the attached screenshot! Path Finder 9 is still showing nothing in the iCloud Drive! :-(

I'm using Path Finder since Version 5, it was back in 2011 and I'm still recommending it, but this one is a bitter pill to swallow. :-(

Regards,
Vlad

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 10:17 AM

Hi Vlad,

Which version of macOS and Path Finder do you have installed? Are you comfortable with Terminal?

Do you have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled on your Mac? Path Finder is able to display only the items present on your local drive. iCloud API is private and we are unable to check the cloud content, unfortunately.

Do you still experience the issue with jpg previews? Which view options do you start seeing this issue on?

Tags have replaced labels in macOS, and original labels are now considered the default tags (i.e. the red label is now a tag "Red"). As far as I can tell the display difference was caused by a selection of the file.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 10:17 AM.

3. Vlad re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 10:32 AM

4. 2 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 10:32 AM

Hi, Jordan!

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 10:42 AM

Hi Vlad,

I'm afraid your message was cropped. Would you please re-send it?

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 10:42 AM.

7. Vlad re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:01 AM

8. 4 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 11:01 AM

Hi, Jordan!

On 5 Feb 2020, at 11:17, Path Finder Support Team wrote:

Subject: iCloud Drive and Tags still not here - after almost two years and two new versions

Hi Vlad,

Which version of macOS and Path Finder do you have installed?

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Path Finder Version 9.0.6 (2027)

Are you comfortable with Terminal?

Yes.

Do you have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled on your Mac?

No.

Path Finder is able to display only the items present on your local drive. iCloud API is private and we are unable to check the cloud content, unfortunately.

Do you still experience the issue with jpg previews?

No. However this was the first time I mentioned the tags issues, that still persist.

Which view options do you start seeing this issue on?

Tags have replaced labels in macOS, and original labels are now considered the default tags (i.e. the red label is now a tag "Red"). As far as I can tell the display difference was caused by a selection of the file.

See above: The tag issue is still there.

Here I am.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/160664-icloud-dr...

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://support.cocoatech.com, visit https://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/8a5a3f4c530801d9ed8990fae...

Regards,
    Vlad

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:17 AM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:18 AM

11. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 11:18 AM

Hi Vlad,

Re: iCloud. 
    Please, run the following terminal command:

ls -la /Users/<username>/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com\~apple\~CloudDocs

where username is your user profile name. By default Terminal starts in your Home folder, so the command below might also work:
    ls -la Library/Mobile\ Documents/com\~apple\~CloudDocs

ls -la Lists all the files, and com~apple~CloudDocs is where the iCloud Drive (vs iCloud, which includes iCloud Drive, app settings and files, etc.) is stored on mac locally.

Re: Tags. Could you please update which issues with Tags are still present?
    We've received a few reports on tags issues, most of them seems to be related to the sync between Path Finder and Finder tags. In reality both tags should be synced and available system-wide, as there is no distinction between tags Finder and Path Finder make, and it is something we seek to improve.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:18 AM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:18 AM

14. 6 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 11:35 AM

Regarding iCloud Drive first:

Vlads2012eriMac:~ Vlad$ pwd
    /Users/Vlad Vlads2012eriMac:~ Vlad$ ls -la Library/Mobile\ Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 Vlad staff 64 15 Aug 10:46 .
    drwxr-xr-x@ 169 Vlad staff 5408 11 Jan 19:42 ..
    Vlads2012eriMac:~ Vlad$

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 11:49 AM

Hi Vlad,

Well, it makes sense why Path Finder saw nothing in the iCloud Drive, there doesn't appear to be anything at the usual location.

Please, open Finder, navigate to the iCloud Drive contents you are missing in Path Finder, and do the following:

1. Select the file, then either Right-Click (Control + Click) or use Finder from the Application Menu Bar -> select Services -> New Terminal at Folder.
    2. Type in the following terminal command: pwd to display path to current working directory.

Let me know what you get.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:49 AM.

17. Vlad re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 11:49 AM

18. 8 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 11:49 AM

Regarding Tags:

When a file has tags they are shown in Path Finder.
    However: After creating a new file / folder in Path Finder and trying to assign an existing Finder-Tag in the Information-window in Path Finder none of my existing Finder tags appears in Path Finder and none of them are completed when input-ed manually.
    Worse: When the (Path Finder) )tag-name is identically to one of the Finder-tags, the color change to the correspondent color in Finder but not in Path Finder, so Path Finder doesn't recognize the tag as an existing one.

I've send you a lot of screenshots and screen-recordings to this in the previous support-tickets and everything is still here.

19. 9 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 11:56 AM

The path is:

/Users/Vlad/Library/Mobile\ Documents/

Take a look at the screenshot showing

• nothing in PathFinder's
    • a lot in a Finder-window showing all of the folders from the iCloud Drive and
    • the path of the "MindNode"-folder I dragged in the Terminal-window
  20. Support Staff 10 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 12:04 PM

Hi Vlad,

I'm afraid in this case MindNode stores its files in the iCloud and not iCloud Drive. iCloud Drive is a shared space and many apps can access it. However, iCloud also offers each application a protected storage for its files and settings, which can be accessed by the application in question and Finder, but not via other apps. This is a known limitation of the iCloud and not something we could easily fix, I'm afraid.

We will look into the tags issue. The issue seems to be related to the tags database syncing between macOS and Path Finder, I will follow up with you additionally on the Tags issue.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 12:04 PM.

22. Vlad re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 12:08 PM

23. 11 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 12:08 PM

Please see the screenshot attached to the previous message: Finder says "iCloud Drive", not "iCloud"

24. Support Staff 12 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 12:31 PM

Hi Vlad,

Due to improper synchronization while reading system configuration files mentioned above, it can happen that Path Finder shows only files you specifically added into your iCloud Drive, but not application library folders, created by applications which can save documents and data to iCloud. Please, check this article, it addresses what you need to do to make all iCloud application library folders appear in Path Finder.

Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

25. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 12:31 PM.

26. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 01:24 PM

27. 13 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 01:30 PM

Regarding iCloud Drive: Using your article I'm almost there now (please see the attached screenshot).

However, Path Finder is missing a lot of application folders, one of witch is MindNode, that lead me to reignite this question.

What could I do to see ALL of the iCloud Drive folders in Path Finder?

28. 14 Posted by Vlad on 05 Feb, 2020 01:50 PM

Regarding tags: You're saying that the same tag issue still persist since July 2018?!

29. 15 Posted by steveu75 on 27 Mar, 2020 11:26 PM

I have the tag OCR_Done in Finder, I do not see how to assign that tag in PF8.0.8. It is on my local drive.

30. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 06:52 PM.

31. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 06:54 PM

32. Support Staff 16 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Mar, 2020 06:54 PM

Hi Vlad,

If you have "Optimize Mac Storage" disabled and all your iCloud Drive folders enabled, it should work. We'd love to offer a more robust iCloud experience in Path Finder, but closed APIs of iCloud proper and Finder extensions make this more difficult than it should be, unfortunately.

Hi Steve, 

Did you mean 9.0.8? In some cases tags created in Finder may not be synced to Path Finder, please simply create a tag with the same color and name as a workaround.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

33. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 06:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac