Preview module resists displaying contents of some text files

Barry

03 Feb, 2020 11:11 PM

Hello,

I've seen it happen with files with extensions xml and diff. I've probably seen others as well. Essentially, selecting the file will not update the preview module. Whatever was last displayed there is still displayed. Often, I can randomly select other files and then revisit the problematic one to get it to finally display.

Has anyone else seen this? Any workarounds or solutions to be had?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Feb, 2020 12:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out!

What app is assigned to these files if you check from Get Info -> Open With section?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 12:18 PM.

3. Barry re-opened this discussion on 05 Feb, 2020 04:02 PM

4. 2 Posted by Barry on 05 Feb, 2020 04:02 PM

Hi Jordan,

I have BBEdit assigned to all files containing text, including those with "xml" extension.

The info window's Open with shows BBEdit. Space bar always properly displays the file with Quick Look, even when Path Finder won't show the preview. Also, the Quick Look window shows "Open with BBEdit" at the top right.

I have Preview, Info, and Permissions module displayed. Only the Preview module does not update to the newer file. The Preview module, when the text file fails to display, shows a preview of the previous file that was selected.

I have a small test folder that contains a folder, an application, and three text files. The extensions of the text files are ".sh" and ".xml". The text files will fail to preview only when the previous selection was a folder or application. Selecting a different text file and then returning to the one with the problem usually fixes the issue.

When I was checking the Info window as you requested I noticed that the "Change all" button was disabled. Switching away from BBEdit to another editor (MacVim or TextEdit) and then reopening the info window caused the "Change all" button to be enabled. Switching back to BBEdit and reopening the window disabled the button again.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Feb, 2020 12:41 PM

Hi Barry, 

The greyed-out "Change All" button usually means you have selected the default app for that file type.

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2020 12:41 PM.

7. Barry re-opened this discussion on 06 Feb, 2020 04:13 PM

8. 4 Posted by Barry on 06 Feb, 2020 04:13 PM

I've attached a sample. In the 3 seconds it gave me I performed the following steps:

• Start with an xml file selected and the preview module incorrectly showing an image of an application.

• Select a folder. The preview changes to show an image of a folder.

• Select the xml file. The preview continues to show the image of a folder.

The "Change all" issue was just my misunderstanding, as you point out. I expected the button to become enabled when I switched the selected program away from the global default. I simply had to reopen the panel to get that status change.

9. 5 Posted by Barry on 24 Feb, 2020 04:02 PM

Has anyone had a chance to look at this yet?

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Mar, 2020 05:10 PM

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the delayed follow-up!

Please, check again with Path Finder 9.1. We've updated the text preview & syntax highlighting component. Let us know if you still see this issue!

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 05:10 PM.

12. Barry re-opened this discussion on 01 Apr, 2020 05:36 PM

13. 7 Posted by Barry on 01 Apr, 2020 05:36 PM

I've been working with 9.1 extensively for the last few days. I preview files constantly. The problem has not reoccurred. Looks like you solved it. Thanks for the fix.

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2020 02:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac