See files optimized to icloud

David

25 Jan, 2020 04:40 PM

Hi,

Just downloaded the PF9 trial. I was enjoying it, but I just ran into a major issue. I can't see any of my files that have been uploaded to icloud. To be clear, this is not the icloud dir. This is when I don't have enough room on my HD so osx automatically uploads the file to icloud, deletes the local copy, and leaves a placeholder with a download icon next to it.

I saw in another thread that you say there is no way for PF to see these files, so the only solution is to disable optimize storage and keep all files local. Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me. My laptop only has a 128 SSD and, as I'm sure you know, a good hunk of that is taken up by OSX, leaving me with not so much space to play with. The ability to optimize my storage and keep things on icloud has been wonderful. I'm afraid it just isn't possible for me to turn it off.

Therefore, without support to see these files, I'm afraid PF just isn't for me at this time. Can you give me hope and tell me you are working on adding support for this?

-David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Jan, 2020 06:15 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, the API iCloud uses to communicate with Finder about cloud-only files is private and can't be used by 3rd-party apps (such as Path Finder). This means that unfortunately we are able to display only files that are actually present on your local drive, as we can't get intel from cloud side of things.

You can find more information about iCloud Drive integration in Path Finder in this article. It also addresses your issues and what you need to do to make all iCloud application library folders appear in Path Finder.

If you still have problems after applying steps outlined in the article, report back to us here. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2020 06:15 PM.

3. David re-opened this discussion on 27 Jan, 2020 09:57 PM

4. 2 Posted by David on 27 Jan, 2020 09:57 PM

I understand. That's unfortunate that Apple won't make the API public. That info makes me sympathetic to you guys, but unfortunately so many of my files are on icloud this way that I just can't function without it. Maybe if I get a new laptop with a larger HD in the future. Or, if Apple lets the info out and you guys can add this feature.

Anyways, thanks for the reply and the info, Jordan.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Jan, 2020 02:41 PM

Hi David,

We have better chances reverse-engineering around it compared to Apple opening it up, unfortunately. We will look for any opportunities to make it work, however.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jan, 2020 02:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac