PATHFINDER 9 -- favorites in pathfinder sidebar are NOT viewable in finder, hence NOT in other apps open/save dialogs

dtbain

16 Jan, 2020 06:18 PM

Hello

I’ve just paid to upgrade from PF7 to PF9.

In PF7, I had folders and files pinned to the Favorites section of the sidebar and these Favorites were also accessible in the upload/download and open/save dialogs of other applications such as Word.

I think this was implemented by Pathfinder ensuring that the favorites on the PF7 sidebar were synced over to the Finder sidebar, which is the sidebar one sees from those other applications when opening upload/download or open/save dialogs.

HOWEVER, this doesn't seem to work in PF9. For instance, I have a folder called “Current work”, which I have pulled onto the PF sidebar. In fact, it is a sub-sub-sub folder of my Dropbox folder, so if it were not on the sidebar it would take a long time to find. HOWEVER, when I am in Word and want to save a file to that Current Work folder, the “save as” dialog shows me Finder's rather than Pathfinder's sidebar, so my "Current Work" folder is not easily accessible.

In other discussions, I have seen mention that this is due to some change Apple made. But PF7, which I had until yesterday (15 January 2019), and only stopped using since "new folder" stopped working once I installed Catalina, didn't have this problem. Whatever code made the syncing from PF to Finder possible was in PF7 and it still works. I know this since, again, I used PF7 until yesterday. It simply is NOT the case that something Apple has done has made such syncing impossible; it is not impossible, but implemented and still working in PF7.

Without this feature, I either have greatly reduced productivity (having to hunt for folders when saving or opening files) or I have to manually ensure every day that the sidebars of Finder and Pathfinder match. That is simply ridiculous. A huge step backwards. It undermines the point of Pathfinder. Pathfinder is no longer a Finder replacement.

PLEASE solve this problem. If you have already, please tell me how to solve it. If you don't, I will be forced once again to revert PF7, or indeed to dump PF altogether, and in either case to demand a refund.

Thank you

David

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 09:17 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 09:18 PM

3. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jan, 2020 09:18 PM

Hi David,

We are really sorry about this not working anymore. The API for that functionality (syncing "Favorites" and in general all those "Recent…" lists) was deprecated and abandoned a long time ago. In each new version of PF it worked worse. We tried having that as long as possible, but we cross the point at which it became a liability and not feature. It became a real pain, both in customer support and code maintenance. We don't want to make any kind of excuses here, but in this case, it's really Apple to blame. As far as we know, no other 3rd party application offers that sort of synchronization, even if they did they gave up a long time ago. We kept it as long as possible, but the burden of supporting it became just too overwhelming for the benefits it provides.

As for the sidebar, we still need to update a few logos on our sites to Path Finder 9 but this is the correct place to request support.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 09:18 PM.

5. dtbain re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2020 06:39 AM

6. 2 Posted by dtbain on 21 Jan, 2020 06:39 AM

Thanks for your reply BUT I have seen that response elsewhere on this site, verbatim, and I am afraid it doesn't directly engage with the points I made

Once again ...

So far as I could tell, the sync from PF sidebar to Finder sidebar worked perfectly in PF7, which was in general superior to PF8 and PF9, though I've been forced to abandon it since it seemed incompatible with Catalina.

Again, the sync function worked perfectly.

Hence it presented no need, so far as I can tell, for time-consuming customer support or code maintenance.

Without it, Finder becomes more useful than PF.

Can you respond to these points

David

7. 3 Posted by portaferry on 21 Jan, 2020 11:08 AM

David,

I found this change irritating, but I drag to the Finder Favourites Sidebar any folders I want direct access to in the save dialogue. In my case this is not something I have to do very often now its setup. As it turns out my sidebar in Finder is quite different to my Pathfinder sidebar and it works fine. Sync is not an issue once you adjust your approach, ...

In addition my impression is a lot of Pathfinder users also use "Default Folder" which forms part of save dialogue and you can access things like recent files or folders and also define "favourites".

Using automation (Automator, Hazel and/or Keyboard Maestro) is another option, which minimises the need for manual selection of files.

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2020 07:26 AM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2020 07:28 AM

10. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 Jan, 2020 07:28 AM

Hi David,

We spent a lot of time ensuring the Favorites sync will work, as perfect as it could, including working around many new issues in Favorites sync API with each new macOS release. It did work in Path Finder 7, and we are proud we could make it work despite all the issues, but it simply became too much to handle and too expensive to keep supporting. Other options such as replacing the default save dialog are simply impossible, unfortunately.

Quite a few of our users do use Default Folder X. We are also open to further improvements in terms of Path Finder favorites as we develop the app further. While Finder Sync is unlikely to return, improvements within Path Finder are very likely, and possibly extending outside of Path Finder to integration with other apps as well.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2020 07:28 AM.

12. dtbain re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2020 09:30 AM

13. 5 Posted by dtbain on 23 Jan, 2020 09:30 AM

OK, I genuinely appreciate the non-form-letter reply this time, thank you.

I won't press the point, since I am no expert, but just to say that from my layperson's perspective it's unclear to me why it would be so time-consuming to maintain the sync function given that it was still working without maintenance (I take it?) in PF7.

Anyway, I will either have to find out more about default folder X, or discontinue use of PF, alas.

One final question: am I right that PF7 doesn't work with Catalina? I found after moving to Catalina that the "new folder" function wasn't working. Please let me know, since I am considering moving back to PF7.

Thanks again, genuinely, for the reply -- a sign that customer service might be improving!

14. 6 Posted by dtbain on 23 Jan, 2020 09:30 AM

PS. Thank you Portaferry too for the work-arounds. Good of you to spend the time and when I have a moment I will take a good look.

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2020 11:24 AM.

16. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 27 Jan, 2020 11:25 AM

17. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Jan, 2020 11:25 AM

Hi David,

We could not justify leaving in a feature we will no longer support.

Path Finder 7 was not updated to work with macOS Catalina, so we can't guarantee it will work. For Path Finder 8 and 9 to work with macOS Catalina, you need to allow Full Disk Access for Path Finder.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2020 11:25 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac