Search Path Finder not working under 10.14.6

Roland

12 Jan, 2020 11:37 AM

Hi, successful new year to your team.
After updating to Mojave 10.14.6 the newest version of Path Finder 9 or 7 does not searching anymore. I am using the separate search window. It worked before updating perfectly. Any idea? Greetings Roland

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Jan, 2020 09:09 PM

Hi,

Are you searching using the Find window? Do you use Spotlight search or API-based Search?

What are the steps to reproduce this?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Jan, 2020 09:09 PM.

3. Roland re-opened this discussion on 14 Jan, 2020 08:26 AM

4. 2 Posted by Roland on 14 Jan, 2020 08:26 AM

Hi Jordan, thanks for the fast reply. Did not get a notice that you answered. I visited my account and saw your reply.

Yes,I am using the find window. (I called it search window). The steps: Open find window, select the parameters and search. With both ways you offer. Hit enter. Another time: hit the icon to search. Attached you see a folder with four PDFs and the find windows with both ways to search but cannot find anything.

I reinstalled Path Finder two times after deleting everything with the app AppCleaner. Furthermore I restart the computer multiple times. No difference.

Greetings Roland

5. 3 Posted by Roland on 14 Jan, 2020 08:41 AM

Wait: I rebuild the index of spotlight. Maybe this helps.

6. 4 Posted by Roland on 14 Jan, 2020 12:07 PM

Hi Jordan, solved it. It was Spotlight. Rebuilding the index and restart the computer. After an hour everything works fine. Maybe someone else has this problem. Here is what I did to solve it.
    1. Open Terminal
    2. Turn Spotlight off: sudo mdutil -a -i off
    3. Turn Spotlight on: sudo mdutil -a -i on
    4. Restart the computer and wait a while

The other way to exclude and include the hard drive again via the preferences did not work for me.
    Greetings and thanks for your support.
    Case closed.
    Roland

7. 5 Posted by Roland on 14 Jan, 2020 02:48 PM

Beside the API-based Search does not work since I wrote the last note. I got the running circle. No finds.

8. 6 Posted by Roland on 14 Jan, 2020 02:53 PM

…and the sort options do not work in the find window…

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 16 Jan, 2020 03:32 AM

Hi, 

API Search relies on two distinct APIs available in macOS, which used to offer superior search quality and performance. Sadly, these APIs are now deprecated and not maintained by Apple. The more precise one was never updated to work with APFS, and the newer less precise API also seems to suffer on a newer versions of OS. There is nothing we can do about this immediately, but we are looking for ways to improve searches in Path Finder.

As for sorting, we intend to integrate the Find window functionality into the main Path Finder browser (like with the search bar, but with the full power of search). The Find window itself will thus become obsolete, hence we didn't Include all options normal windows have.

Don't hesitate to contact us should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2020 03:32 AM.

11. Roland re-opened this discussion on 18 Jan, 2020 08:29 AM

12. 8 Posted by Roland on 18 Jan, 2020 08:29 AM

Hi Jordan,
    thanks to make this clear and understandable. I think many other users find your explanation very useful. In fact the API search option was my reason to upgrade to version 9. Hopefully you can implement what you indent to do. To integrate the full power search as a module is a great idea but with too much information it could be all mess up. Just a thought.
    Greetings and thanks for sharing the information I cannot find anywhere else.
    Roland

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 06:07 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac