Folder Diff

smaul

06 Jan, 2020 07:59 PM

Is there a way for PF to do a "diff" between two folders and then pipe different files to a new folder? I use Folder Sync daily to keep folders matched, but in some cases, I need to identify the files that are in one folder that are NOT in the other and rather than sync them, I need to offload them to a different folder (rather than simply deleting them via the "mirror" options).

Is this possible?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 Sep, 2020 01:25 PM

Hi Steve, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

At this moment, you can only use Folder Sync to check the difference between the folders and then, move the files to another folder manually. Nevertheless, I'll pass your feedback to our developers further for further consideration.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, do not hesitate to let us know!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2020 01:25 PM.

3. smaul re-opened this discussion on 28 Sep, 2020 12:57 PM

4. 2 Posted by smaul on 28 Sep, 2020 12:57 PM

I'd be happy to move the files manually, unless you mean one-by-one. I have folders with hundreds or thousands of changes, and certainly unable to move each one individually. There certainly can be a redirect option put into the toolset fairly easily.

Please let me know if you meant something different than a one-by-one movement.

Thanks

On 9/26/20, 09:25, "Path Finder Support Team" <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Folder Diff

Hi Steve,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

At this moment, you can only use Folder Sync to check the difference between the folders and then, move the files to another folder manually. Nevertheless, I'll pass your feedback to our developers further for further consideration.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, do not hesitate to let us know!

Best Regards,
        Mary
        Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/158654-folder-diff

---

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://support.cocoatech.com, visit https://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/f80dfbe282aae40e5fb088c8731920f5a8e5f69f

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Sep, 2020 11:48 AM

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, I meant moving files one-by-one by selecting them manually in your main Path Finder > clicking on 'Move to' to move to the folder of your choice.

I understand that this is hard when you have a big amount of files to move, therefore, I'll pass your feedback to our developer, so he can think of implementing more convenient feature in this case to achieve the outcome you'd like.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Sep, 2020 11:48 AM.

7. smaul re-opened this discussion on 30 Sep, 2020 02:37 PM

8. 4 Posted by smaul on 30 Sep, 2020 02:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, a one-by-one solution is completely impractical. There are usually hundreds of files.

From a user's perspective, when doing a folder sync, the presents are fairly straightforward (e.g. If orphaned on right, copy from left to right). In this instance, it would need to be an option that says, "if orphaned on right, move to transition folder" - the transition folder can be anywhere, because the whole idea is to save the "diff" result elsewhere. Once that's done and the folders are synced, I can move them from the pre-defined transition folder to a permanent storage location.

Obviously, I used the "If orphaned on right" example above, but it could be the opposite as well. This would be a HIGH value enhancement to the product.

Thanks

On 9/29/20, 07:48, "Path Finder Support Team" <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Folder Diff

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, I meant moving files one-by-one by selecting them manually in your main Path Finder > clicking on 'Move to' to move to the folder of your choice.

I understand that this is hard when you have a big amount of files to move, therefore, I'll pass your feedback to our developer, so he can think of implementing more convenient feature in this case to achieve the outcome you'd like.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
        Mary
        Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/158654-folder-diff

---

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://support.cocoatech.com, visit https://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/f80dfbe282aae40e5fb088c8731920f5a8e5f69f

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Oct, 2020 06:36 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac