high-cpu-usage

val

24 Dec, 2019 01:18 PM

Pathfinder Version 9.0.5 (2026) high CPU usage all the time even when I don't touch it (it is just open in the background)
screenshot in attach.

1. 1 Posted by val on 26 Dec, 2019 11:56 AM

any update?

2. 2 Posted by val on 29 Dec, 2019 08:10 PM

guys, pls help me.

3. 3 Posted by Jon R. Roma on 02 Jan, 2020 06:14 PM

I have had this problem beginning with PF8, and up to PF9.0.6. I am running Mojave.

Activity Monitor shows high CPU usage on its Dock graph, and upon inspecting processes, PathFinder is eating 80 to 100+ percent CPU even though it's doing nothing but sitting in the background.

Terminating the process ends the CPU usage, and everything is happy for a while, but then PF again resumes heavy CPU usage. This occurs repeatedly and is a huge annoyance

I've been been a happy PathFinder customer for many years, but the described behavior is making me question whether it's time to pull the plug on PathFinder and find something else. To add insult to injury, I am now being prompted to pay $18 to get a non-trial version of PF9.

Admittedly, $18 isn't that much. However, quite frankly, I'm not interested in paying to upgrade a product that has been broken since PF8 was released.

If someone actually cares, I can provide additional documentation beyond the attached screen shot.

4. 4 Posted by Jon R. Roma on 02 Jan, 2020 06:48 PM

The attachment didn't make it; let's try again.

5. 5 Posted by val on 02 Jan, 2020 07:47 PM

thank you, Jon R. Roma
    support, any response?

6. 6 Posted by dteplow on 09 Jan, 2020 06:04 PM

I'm having the same problem with PF 9.0.6 on my Retina MacBookPro, 15", Late 2013, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.14.6. This has been a persistent problem and has come to the point where I might have to switch to another Finder replacement, like Forklift.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jan, 2020 11:14 AM

Hi all,

Is there a good way to replicate/trigger this issue? What are the steps?

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2020 11:14 AM.

9. Jon Roma re-opened this discussion on 10 Jan, 2020 06:43 PM

10. 8 Posted by Jon Roma on 10 Jan, 2020 06:43 PM

Hi, Jordan. I will follow your recipe when I'm in front of my Mac this
    weekend. It should not be difficult to recreate the problem, and I hope I
    am able to provide you with data that will help solve this annoying
    problem. I'm glad to hear from you, because I was beginning to get
    discouraged. Thanks.

11. 9 Posted by dteplow on 10 Jan, 2020 11:58 PM

Hi Jason:

Here you go.

Dave

David B. Teplow, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus
    Research Professor
    Editor, Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science

Department of Neurology
    David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
    Neuroscience Research Building, Room 445
    635 Charles E. Young Drive South
    Los Angeles, CA 90095-7334
    (310) 206-2030 (Voice)
    (310) 206-1700 (Fax)
    [email blocked]
    http://teplowlab.neurology.ucla.edu/

On January 10, 2020 at 3:14:18 AM, Path Finder Support Team ([email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>) wrote:

CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL:Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender.

Subject: high-cpu-usage

Hi all,

Is there a good way to replicate/trigger this issue? What are the steps?

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.cocoatech.com_discussions_problems_157613-2Dhigh-2Dcpu-2Dusage&d=DwICaQ&c=UXmaowRpu5bLSLEQRunJ2z-YIUZuUoa9Rw_x449Hd_Y&r=pmcffdqVq0AqOX0DcS982YhU2Q5IVpDFzYjWuVJsMm4&m=vxZM3YCc3BWZINEGsvhkKkzQihmE7Adb365Y8dlhZ40&s=M28pb6uw0gd625c6ySoenwVnlESYANnaGyqvOTJmAHY&e=

---

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.cocoatech.com&d=DwICaQ&c=UXmaowRpu5bLSLEQRunJ2z-YIUZuUoa9Rw_x449Hd_Y&r=pmcffdqVq0AqOX0DcS982YhU2Q5IVpDFzYjWuVJsMm4&m=vxZM3YCc3BWZINEGsvhkKkzQihmE7Adb365Y8dlhZ40&s=KPuQ9FD46y341jiGFWNSbrwwohJ4UEnxreRAjlhYjNU&e= , visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.cocoatech.com_unsubscribe_3be4d68f12c63cb8c3bc676e735dd7f60b55db47&d=DwICaQ&c=UXmaowRpu5bLSLEQRunJ2z-YIUZuUoa9Rw_x449Hd_Y&r=pmcffdqVq0AqOX0DcS982YhU2Q5IVpDFzYjWuVJsMm4&m=vxZM3YCc3BWZINEGsvhkKkzQihmE7Adb365Y8dlhZ40&s=Ikf_bJF5H2P1ytUuIDhV889W8LFOEY6wYrOLovjsjY8&e=

UCLA HEALTH SCIENCES IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your computer.

12. 10 Posted by Jon Roma on 14 Jan, 2020 03:39 AM

Hi, Jordan and Cocoatech team.

Sorry for the delay in this response. I've attached a sample per your
    request. I will cross my fingers that this will bring us nearer to a
    solution for this aggravating chronic problem.

Please contact me if you wish additional information. I'm an advanced
    software engineer (though not on MacOS), so I'm ready to do what I need to
    get this bug licked. Thanks.

13. Support Staff 11 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 16 Jan, 2020 03:54 AM

Hi Valentin, 

Thank you for the sample! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2020 03:54 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac