PF 9.0.5 Sidebar and Toolbar

Colin

08 Dec, 2019 09:02 AM

Some improvements, here. You can now easily add an app to the toolbar (which was a facility some time ago, but was lost).

You can now add saved searches to Favourites in the sidebar (although, curiously, not to Searches).

Please mask the ".savedSearch" file extension in the Sidebar. It serves no purpose, but makes the file name so long that it is truncated. So although we can see ".savedSearch" in the file name, we cannot see the most important info, which is the name itself.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 May, 2020 09:05 AM

Hi Colin,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won't happen again.

Can you please specify if this query is still relevant?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 May, 2020 09:05 AM.

3. Colin re-opened this discussion on 30 May, 2020 09:14 AM

4. 2 Posted by Colin on 30 May, 2020 09:14 AM

Hi Mary,

Yes, these issues are still current.

You can add a saved search to Favourites, but not to Search For.

The ".savedSearch" extension is still included. That means when the sidebar is resized, the file extension is not truncated, but the file name (the useful bit) is.

Cheers

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 May, 2020 12:01 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for updating me on this matter!

In order for me to best assist you and try to reproduce the issue on my end, I would like to ask you to make a screen recording of the issue and send it to us.
      You can check on how to record a video recording here. After doing so, please upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other storage provider and send a link to me.

Make sure the access settings are modified in a way that will allow us to view it. I believe this is going to help us a lot!

Best regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 May, 2020 12:01 PM.

7. Colin re-opened this discussion on 30 May, 2020 01:45 PM

8. 4 Posted by Colin on 30 May, 2020 01:45 PM

Hi Mary,

I've made video:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0q0ozndzob4pds4/AADLt_HybpS5ZQF5Op4lM69u...

Should be easy for you to recreate. PF has always had problems with column view.

Cheers

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 May, 2020 03:31 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back and providing me with a screen recording!

Indeed, I was able to reproduce this, however, I'd like to let you know that this is not the bug, but an expected behavior. 

Once the label circle is added to the line it requires more space, therefore, the name gets displayed in the following way as you have column view set on the minimal for this file name. If you expand the column and make it wider, it would work normally as it should work.

Nevertheless, I'll pass your feedback to our developer, so he can consider implement further development to the following option.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 May, 2020 03:31 PM.

11. Colin re-opened this discussion on 30 May, 2020 03:49 PM

12. 6 Posted by Colin on 30 May, 2020 03:49 PM

Hi Mary,

I do not have the column set to 'minimal' (there is no option for that). But I DO have the view options set to auto-resize columns (see attached screen shot). But auto-resize only works with Ribbon labels, not Finder badges.

As I mentioned at the start of the thread, the ONLY way to resize the column is to drag the column guide. In fact, double-clicking the column guide should resize (as it does in Ribbon view, and as the default behaviour in Finder).

If you switch from column view to list view, you will see that the column sizes with more than enough space for the file name and the Finder badge.

So why DELIBERATELY remove that capability from column view?

I urge you to report this as a bug. I cannot imagine why it would be programmed this way. Finder badges were recently included in PF because of so many user requests. I doubt the users requested truncated file names.

Cheers,
    Colin

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 Jun, 2020 05:23 PM

Hi Colin, 

Thanks for reaching back!

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application and help us develop this option further down the road.

Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Jun, 2020 05:23 PM.

15. Colin re-opened this discussion on 01 Jun, 2020 06:32 PM

16. 8 Posted by Colin on 01 Jun, 2020 06:32 PM

Hi Mary,

Is this a bug, then, or "expected behaviour"?

Cheers

17. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 02 Jun, 2020 06:36 PM

Hi Colin,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

This is the expected behavior, however, in order for me to pass this further for development consideration, I would ask you to create a sample file as per the instructions above.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2020 06:36 PM.

19. Colin re-opened this discussion on 02 Jun, 2020 06:54 PM

20. 10 Posted by Colin on 02 Jun, 2020 06:54 PM

Thanks Mary.

Then it works differently to Finder. In Finder, you can double click a column guide to have it resized so that the names are not truncated. That doesn't work in PF9.

Cheers

21. Support Staff 11 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 04 Jun, 2020 06:08 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back!

Indeed, this does not work in Path Finder, as it simply re-sorts the files ascending or descending based on the name or any other value you set up within Show View Options.

Nevertheless, I passed your feedback to our developer, so he can consider developing these features further down the road.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

22. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2020 06:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac