"Search" vs "Find" vs "Filter" — Seeking documentation that explains Advanced Search specifying "search in volume", file type

Richard Hoefer

04 Dec, 2019 01:10 AM

I'm confused about which tool is "Advanced Search" with specified parameters like...

SEARCH WITHIN [________] VOLUMES
FILE TYPE > IMAGES > .PNGS

I thought that the "FIND" tool was my answer, but I cannot find the actuator button to "PERFORM SEARCH" (See screenshots below)
(edit: I tried hitting ENTER in the keyword field and that appears to be the mechanism, but it's confusing, and I don't understand the difference between the two modes of "FIND BY" )

SIDENOTE: Pathfinder Documentation: Is this truly the only existing "features" documentation for this app? It's last entry was in 2014.
https://support.cocoatech.com/kb/features-and-development
I did search within the KnowledgeBase first, but only saw an entry on Spotlight. I do not use nor do I like Mac's Spotlight, so I ignored it. Later i saw that there is some explanation here ( https://support.cocoatech.com/kb/performance/spotlight-search-on-ne... ) , but i find it very convoluted "we had to do this because of X" instead of "To do an advanced search, follow these steps"
I also tried searching on the Youtube Channel for "Advanced Search" and got no related videos.

#Search #Find #AdvancedSearch #PathfinderFeatures #Documentation

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jan, 2020 06:42 AM

Hi Richard,

We are working on an updated manual, it takes a bit longer than desired but we do aim to have a functional manual for Path Finder 9.

Find Window in Path Finder offers two search options, using the Spotlight or an integrated search. First button is Search/show results, and the second is a toggle between Spotlight and Search modes.

Spotlight search uses macOS resources from your Mac, in particular the spotlight index. If a file was not indexed by Spotlight search, it would not be found.
    Integrated search relies on two distinct search APIs available in macOS, which used to offer superior search quality and performance. Sadly, these APIs are now deprecated and not maintained by Apple. The more precise one was never updated to work with APFS, and the newer less precise API also seems to suffer on a newer versions of OS. There is nothing we can do about this immediately, but we are looking for ways to improve searches in Path Finder.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 06:42 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac