NFS Shares non-browsable

Rolf

29 Nov, 2019 02:12 AM

Mostly cannot browse NFS shares mounted using automountd. NFS share is mounted within the /Shares/data folder and works as expected by the Finder and apps. They are able to navigate to the hard disk, then shares, then data. They can also navigate to /System/Volumes/Data/Shares/data. Path Finder can sometimes browse either way, but usually fails, showing a single file within the /Shares directory:
Name: -- Size: 0 bytes Owner/Group: root/wheel Permissions: 000 Type: lcmt Creator: rhap

Double clicking the file give the message "You do not have permission to open the document "(null)".", or sometimes it offers to fix the alias, and fails. Path in the path bar is "HD/System/Volumes/HD/Shares/".

If the NFS share is mounted within the /User folder, things do not improve much either with Path Finder. automoutd also mounts the NFS share multiple times to the same path, and keeps mounting again and again. Over time, the number of same mounts increases.

Configuration
auto_shares:
data -fstype=nfs,hard,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noatime,proto=tcp 192.168.xxx.xxx:/data

auto_master:
/Shares auto_shares -nosuid,locallocks,nfc,actimeo=1

1. 1 Posted by Elrainia on 07 Dec, 2019 02:06 PM

Having held off for a few weeks, I've finally started updating our hardware to Catalina and have run into exactly the same problem (PF 9.0.5 (2026))

Catalina has changed the way it handles NFS automounts and it feels that PF has fallen victim to these changes. I did try downgrade PF to v8 and it exhibits the same problems.

/etc/auto_master has the following line added: /- auto_nfs -nobrowse,nosuid

/etc/auto_nfs example line: System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared/mnt/backup -fstype=nfs,noowners,nolockd,resvport,hard,bg,intr,rw,tcp,nfc,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 nfs://10.1.0.246:/volume1/backup

This is a subtly different config to what I've been using for years but I don't think there's any significant changes.

The folder /System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared/mnt/backup is accessible/usable in Finder and in terminal (also in the terminal module in PF).

It looks like Catalina is using some process like mknod to create its mount points and PF just doesn't know what to do with the file/directory.

Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated as we have a lot of workflows that are dependent on browsable NFS mounts.

Thanks!

PS The header on this webpage (Pathfinder 8) is a little off putting while searching for help with PF 9!

2. 2 Posted by imccowan on 22 Dec, 2019 07:16 PM

I'm having this problem as well, exactly as Elrainia describes. Also on Catalina, 10.15.2.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac