NFS Shares non-browsable

Rolf

29 Nov, 2019 02:12 AM

Mostly cannot browse NFS shares mounted using automountd. NFS share is mounted within the /Shares/data folder and works as expected by the Finder and apps. They are able to navigate to the hard disk, then shares, then data. They can also navigate to /System/Volumes/Data/Shares/data. Path Finder can sometimes browse either way, but usually fails, showing a single file within the /Shares directory:
Name: -- Size: 0 bytes Owner/Group: root/wheel Permissions: 000 Type: lcmt Creator: rhap

Double clicking the file give the message "You do not have permission to open the document "(null)".", or sometimes it offers to fix the alias, and fails. Path in the path bar is "HD/System/Volumes/HD/Shares/".

If the NFS share is mounted within the /User folder, things do not improve much either with Path Finder. automoutd also mounts the NFS share multiple times to the same path, and keeps mounting again and again. Over time, the number of same mounts increases.

Configuration
auto_shares:
data -fstype=nfs,hard,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noatime,proto=tcp 192.168.xxx.xxx:/data

auto_master:
/Shares auto_shares -nosuid,locallocks,nfc,actimeo=1

1. 1 Posted by Elrainia on 07 Dec, 2019 02:06 PM

Having held off for a few weeks, I've finally started updating our hardware to Catalina and have run into exactly the same problem (PF 9.0.5 (2026))

Catalina has changed the way it handles NFS automounts and it feels that PF has fallen victim to these changes. I did try downgrade PF to v8 and it exhibits the same problems.

/etc/auto_master has the following line added: /- auto_nfs -nobrowse,nosuid

/etc/auto_nfs example line: System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared/mnt/backup -fstype=nfs,noowners,nolockd,resvport,hard,bg,intr,rw,tcp,nfc,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 nfs://10.1.0.246:/volume1/backup

This is a subtly different config to what I've been using for years but I don't think there's any significant changes.

The folder /System/Volumes/Data/Users/Shared/mnt/backup is accessible/usable in Finder and in terminal (also in the terminal module in PF).

It looks like Catalina is using some process like mknod to create its mount points and PF just doesn't know what to do with the file/directory.

Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated as we have a lot of workflows that are dependent on browsable NFS mounts.

Thanks!

PS The header on this webpage (Pathfinder 8) is a little off putting while searching for help with PF 9!

2. 2 Posted by imccowan on 22 Dec, 2019 07:16 PM

I'm having this problem as well, exactly as Elrainia describes. Also on Catalina, 10.15.2.

3. 3 Posted by alon on 16 Feb, 2020 03:12 PM

hello, i'm experiencing the same issue as Elrainia. I'm running MacOS 10.15.3 and PathFinder 9.0.5. Please can someone from the Cocoatech team acknowledge that they have seen this thread and will act on it.

cheers
    Alon

4. 4 Posted by Elrainia on 16 Feb, 2020 03:29 PM

Following on from my Dec post...

I've wrestled with the NFS/Catalina/PathFinder issues at various times over the last 3 months and although this isn't a solution that's going to be acceptable to most. This is what I've done:

1) Migrated away from NFS to SMB. I don't have any faith that Apple are going to support NFS going forward.

2) Changed my workflows so as not to need auto mounting (as much). I've switched from some code I wrote back in 2001 (used to backup various systems using rsync over NFS) to TimeMachine backing up to a NAS over SMB.

3) Sadly, I've almost ditched PathFinder for ForkLift 3. I've been with PF for the best part of 15 years, but the level of support (or lack of it) has lead me to look elsewhere. ForkLift is missing a few features that I love in PF, but it's speed, simplicity and the way it handles network drives has pushed me to the point where PF is no longer my default file manager.

I hope everyone wrestling with similar NFS issue finds their way through the mire sooner rather than later...

Good Luck!

5. 5 Posted by Liam Hudson on 25 Mar, 2020 10:06 PM

Hi,

I have also been a paying customer for a long time. I see this NFS problem has been known about for multiple years and i see closed discussions without resolution. I guess if you need to use NFS go elsewhere.... I was kinda getting annoyed with the version nags anyway.

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 09:59 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 10:01 PM

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Mar, 2020 10:01 PM

Hi Liam and everyone,

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us. 

Once the sample is sent, please try removing Path Finder app and reinstalling it with the latest version from our site. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 10:01 PM.

10. Elrainia re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 10:37 PM

11. 7 Posted by Elrainia on 29 Mar, 2020 10:37 PM

Hi Jordan,

I’m sorry, but I posted this issue on Dec 7th last year and didn’t get any response. I struggled on until the new year, but we finally gave up and deleted PathFinder from 7 machines and installed ForkLift3 which has worked flawlessly for us since then. It was a tough decision as I’ve been an advocate of PF since v4.5 (which is well over 10 years) but the lack of support has ultimately driven me away. I had a question about licensing from last year too, and to date, no reply to that either.

I wish you all well in these troubling times and beyond,

Malc

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac