Path Finder and coreservicesd high CPU usage

spambox

18 Nov, 2019 09:13 AM

I have found several such reports, and I was hoping that PF 9 would finally fix it, but this issue is still current.

I have applied the suggestions in these threads:

This is what I've tried:

• disabling Calculate all sizes
  • disable Colorize syntax for .txt files
  • clear the QL cache
  • clear the Spotlight index

But Path Finder 9.0.3 still takes 30+% CPU even when it's idle and the window is behind others, and causes coreservicesd to consume another ~10%.

I have attached a sample as requested.

1. 1 Posted by spambox on 08 Jan, 2020 09:27 PM

This is still an issue with 9.0.6…

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 09 Jan, 2020 04:56 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out!

Would you be able to share the steps to reproduce this issue?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jan, 2020 04:56 PM.

4. spambox re-opened this discussion on 09 Jan, 2020 05:25 PM

5. 3 Posted by spambox on 09 Jan, 2020 05:25 PM

Unfortunately there isn't a simple reproduction. Every once in a while my MacBook Pro's fan will start to spin up without an obvious reason and if I check the CPU usage, PF and coreservicesd will be consuming a lot of CPU, pretty much a core pegged at 100%.

This doesn't seem to require a specific condition (either the type of list/icon/detail, or QL). It can happen while PF is just sitting in the background, and PF remains functional, so I usually don't notice right away.

If I quit PF, coreservicesd returns to normal, and when I start PF again everything's fine until next time.

So I take it the sample I provided didn't provide any useful info?

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jan, 2020 11:25 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, it doesn't help to pinpoint the cause of the issue, so any additional details would be very appreciated.

Could you please also try the following and check if the issue still persists: 
    - Close all extra PathFinder windows (leave only one opened) - Open View Options (⌘+J) - Choose "Restore all defaults" at the bottom

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2020 11:25 AM.

8. spambox re-opened this discussion on 10 Jan, 2020 12:17 PM

9. 5 Posted by spambox on 10 Jan, 2020 12:17 PM

Yes, I have tried that before, for each of the three view modes (I predominantly use column and list).

10. 6 Posted by spambox on 10 Jan, 2020 12:18 PM

"Looking forward to your reply"

/closes discussion…

11. 7 Posted by Evgeniy on 20 Jan, 2020 02:43 PM

Do not add anything to the problem already mentioned. I have exactly the same problem with PF 9!

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 05:25 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 05:26 PM

14. Support Staff 8 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jan, 2020 05:26 PM

Hi, 

Sorry for the inconvenience and delayed reply. 

The forum is integrated with our CRM system and it automatically closes tickets after each reply. 
    Every new reply reopens it, so other users should be able to comment and subscribe to your thread regardless its status.

We are investigating yours and similar reports and narrowed down to a few potential causes. Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2020 05:26 PM.

16. spambox re-opened this discussion on 28 Jan, 2020 07:14 AM

17. 9 Posted by spambox on 28 Jan, 2020 07:14 AM

My first post contained such a file, but you said it didn't help. When the problem crops up again, I will take another sample, but I doubt it will be any different this time around.

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jan, 2020 01:48 PM.

19. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Jan, 2020 02:08 PM

20. 10 Posted by Eirikr on 17 Feb, 2020 01:37 PM

Exactly the same problem with Path Finder Version 9.0.6 (2027).
    Thanks for taking care!

21. 11 Posted by ros on 19 Feb, 2020 08:25 AM

HI,

Same issue here. Makes PF 9.0.6 unusable for me. I need the calculate all sizes option. Forklift seems to allow this option without the excessive use.

This issue has been around awhile. Seems like the number of people it's affecting is too small to be a concern. Or it doesn't bother some/most users.

My feeling is that there is a combination of software, or software interaction with the system, that causes the problem. How you would go about finding what is way beyond me.

I have collected a few sample process documents if PF support are interested.

I suspect they may hope we move on and stop bugging :) them.

good luck

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Sample_of_Path_Finder.txt 499 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac