Shelf is still missing in PF9

Michael Krutsch

15 Nov, 2019 01:34 AM

I too am a big proponent of the shelf. I upgraded from 7 to 8 in order to support the team and the product but I SORELY miss the shelf (you know, that small module that let you save aliases of anything you wanted with a simple drag and drop). I've tried several workarounds but none were as easy and as complete as the shelf in PF7. I was the announcement for PF9 today and pulled it down to look for the shelf. I didn't find it unless it is hidden under a different name. Is the shelf lost and gone forever? Is it time for me to look for an alternative? Please say it isn't so.

1. 1 Posted by k3ym9n on 15 Nov, 2019 01:49 AM

Hello !

Are you talking about the "Drop Stack" .... this little module where you can put and collect files then later move or copy them somewhere else ?
    if so, it never leaver Path Finder I think...

See the icon in the Modules list (but with the name in French here...)
    as attached file
    cheers

2. 2 Posted by Michael Krutsch on 15 Nov, 2019 04:08 AM

No (but thank you for answering). I PF7 and earlier there was a module named 'shelf'. This predates panes (small parts of windows) that also became named 'shelf'. The shelf module was like a persistent drop stack but intended to keep collections of documents, and folders available for a long time. Refer to this older thread for a better explanation.

https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/103645-where-is-...

Merci

3. 3 Posted by Michael Krutsch on 15 Nov, 2019 04:20 AM

Here is a screenshot that I just took off of my wife's machine (she's running an older version of Mac OS which still supports PF7). Notice the leftmost 'module' which is named shelf and an eclectic collection of files I dropped there. I could have also added folders (but I forgot in my haste ). You can also see three additional modules in that bottom pane.

4. 4 Posted by k3ym9n on 15 Nov, 2019 07:18 PM

Oh OK,
    I realized when I was writing my "pseudo-answer" that it was way to easy for anybody to miss... but since no one answered....
    Thanks for the info, and sorry I don't know...
    but It make me think about Keyboard Maestro = https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/
    (specifically the "Palettes" function...) I know it is another paying app... but it might have the feature you want...

cheers

5. 5 Posted by ruslani on 06 Dec, 2019 10:04 AM

No, Keyboard Maestro won't help here. It's an automation tool and palettes are for creating and arranging actionable menu items for your macros.
    What OP needs to check out is Hook app at hookproductivity.com. This app is specifically designed for this purpose - to keep related information together on per project basis (not only files but links, apps, etc).
    Or Workspaces at www.apptorium.com this app also helps arrange stuff on per project basis.

6. 6 Posted by Michael Krutsch on 07 Dec, 2019 01:15 AM

Thanks for the pointers; you are correct these are much closer to the functionality I am looking for. Since you’ve pointed me elsewhere is it safe to presume that this capability is not returning to PF in the future?

I don’t mind supporting other developers (that’s how I came to PF), but I’d rather have it all in one tool if I could

Thanks again!

<M

7. 7 Posted by JC on 04 Mar, 2020 05:17 PM

Still can't create a custom shelf? Well, I'm out (again). I'll keep using the sketchy buggy PF7.

Come on folks: aren't you listening? How can I support you when you don't support me? This isn't even a requested feature! This is one you took away!!

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2020 03:04 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Jul, 2020 03:05 PM

10. Support Staff 8 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jul, 2020 03:05 PM

Hi Michael,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

Unfortunately, such module is no longer available in the newer versions of PF. We have replaced it with a Drop Stack; you can drag-and-drop files, folders there and then, move/copy them elsewhere.

At the moment being, sadly, there are no plans to bring the Shelf module back.

Please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2020 03:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac