How can I find a specific keyboard shortcut that I want to assign to a different menu item?

Thomas Dunne

08 Nov, 2019 11:34 AM

I am a huge fan of using keyboard shortcuts to execute common actions. On Path Finder, every single menu item can be assigned a keyboard shortcut, which I find incredibly useful and practical.

However, I think there's a small, yet frustrating problem in its implementation.

When I want to assign a keyboard shortcut for a certain menu item, I have to choose one that isn't already assigned to another item. Which is difficult because

1. Path Finder already has many combinations taken, greatly diminishing the pool of available shortcuts.

2. To the best of my knowledge, there is no easy way to find what item has the shortcut you want to use assigned to it, so you cannot easily find it and remove it so that the shortcut can be used with a new item.

To make my problem more comprehensible, I'll use a particular example.

I want to assign the shortcuts ^⌥L and ^⌥R to toggle visibility of left and right shelves of modules respectively. For the first shortcut, I have had no issues, since the shortcut wasn't already being used by another menu item. However, for the second one, Path Finder won't accept my proposed combination (presumably because it's already being used by another menu item). So, I now have to browse the long list of keyboard shortcuts one by one, opening all the minimized groups to find what item is using ^⌥R so that I can unlink it from my shortcut and then assign the key combination to the right shelf menu item. Which is a rather time consuming task, in my opinion.

I think that, ideally, right below or above the menu item shortcuts list in the settings, there should be a filter or find button. So that we could find the menu item or shortcut we wanted to modify.

That's the ideal case, in my humble opinion.

A not as optimal, but acceptable alternative solution would be to have an extensive list online with all the shortcuts being used by default and the menu item they trigger. One we could use as a guide to find our way to the shortcut we want to modify.

You have in your page a similar list: https://support.cocoatech.com/kb/features-and-development/setting-k...

But that one is lacking the majority of shortcuts.

Or am I missing an easier way? Forgive me if that's the case. I have tried to the best of my ability to streamline this process but I haven't been able to manage.

Kind regards,

Thomas

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Nov, 2019 02:35 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion! 

The ^⌥L and ^⌥R are not occupied as a part of our default hotkeys for Path Finder 9, so a list is not as helpful in this case. Seeing as a list of hotkey wouldn't help in this case, I would forward the suggestion to warn on rewrite (e.g. ⌥⌘L is already assigned to "Edit Path". Would you like to reassign it for "Show/Hide Left Shelf"?).

I have forwarded your message to our developers as a feature request for consideration so that it could be implemented in one of our future cycles. 

We appreciate your continued support of Path Finder!
    Make sure to let us know should any further questions/ideas arise. 

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Nov, 2019 02:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac