Decompress zip archive containing absolute path

hjb00

07 Nov, 2019 12:24 PM

When decompressing a zip file that contains a file with an absolute path name (e.g. /myfile.txt), path finder tries to write to the root file system, and causes a kernel panic. This happens even when extract to the same folder as original i checked.
(Path Finder 9.0.2, MacOS 10.15.1)

Finder, unzip and betterzip all do remove absolute paths by default – this should be the behavior of path finder as well.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Nov, 2019 02:56 PM

Hi,

What are the exact steps to reproduce this? Have you seen the same issue on Path Finder 9.0.4?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2019 02:56 PM.

3. hjb00 re-opened this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 01:11 AM

4. 2 Posted by hjb00 on 22 Nov, 2019 01:11 AM

Hi,
    Same behavior on 9.0.4. All it takes is to select the file, and select Commands->Decompress from the menu bar.

My MacBook Pro still reboots after a second or so.
    However, when I copied the files from my MacBook Pro to my iMac, the iMac does not reboot. Still fails to decompress properly, and gives me the option to skip or stop, but no reboot.

Both the MacBook and the iMac are running MacOS 10.15.1 and Path Finder 9.0.4 (2021).

I have no issue with the fact that decompress is not fully functional on these files, as IBM probably did not create them as proper zip files, but the fact that the MacBook Pro consistently reboots when trying to decompress is not good.

Attaching two zip files for you to try – the one from a linux and one from a windows system.

best regards,
    Hans-Jørgen

> 21. nov. 2019 kl. 15:56 skrev Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:
    >
    > From: Path Finder Support Team (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Decompress zip archive containing absolute path
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > What are the exact steps to reproduce this? Have you seen the same issue on Path Finder 9.0.4?
    >
    > Looking forward to your reply.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jordan
    > Path Finder Support Team
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/153463-decompress-zip-archive-containing-absolute-path
    >
    > ---
    >
    > To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://support.cocoatech.com, visit https://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/e0c08094401718052410179187ef8408bed0ac97
    >

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 02:41 AM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 02:42 AM

7. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Nov, 2019 02:42 AM

Hi Hans,

Thanks!

Could you please check if you have any crash logs for Path Finder or related to your mac crash that you could share in ~Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (Finder -> Go -> hold ⌥ Option and choose Library)? I will forward the info to our developers to investigate.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 02:42 AM.

9. hjb00 re-opened this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 07:32 AM

10. 4 Posted by hjb00 on 22 Nov, 2019 07:32 AM

Hi Jordan,

Nothing interresting there. The most recent is proactive_event_tracker files from yesterday, and the rest are several days old.

However, when the system reboots I get the Macos diagnostic report window. I captured the contents of that window in the attached diag.txt file. Today I also saw a brief error message window complaining about an attempt to write to the root file system just before the system rebooted. No time to capture a screenshot as the system rebooted within a second or two, but the same message also comes up on the iMac (whicth doesn't reboot), so I've attached a screenshot from the iMac.

best regards,
    Hans-Jørgen

11. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Nov, 2019 09:12 AM

Hi Hans,

May I ask you to confirm which version (and build number, click on the version to reveal it) of macOS are you running?

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 09:12 AM.

13. hjb00 re-opened this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 09:19 AM

14. 6 Posted by hjb00 on 22 Nov, 2019 09:19 AM

My machine is configured for Norwegian language, but I guess you can still work it out:

Systemprogramvareoversikt:

Systemversjon: macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)
      Kernel-versjon: Darwin 19.0.0
      Startvolum: Macintosh HD
      Oppstartsmodus: Normal
      Maskinnavn: hjbmbp1
      Brukernavn: Hans-Jørgen Bergmann (hjb)
      Sikkert virtuell minne: Aktivert
      Systembeskyttelse: Aktivert
      Tid siden oppstart: 1.23

> 22. nov. 2019 kl. 10:12 skrev Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:
    >
    > From: Path Finder Support Team (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Decompress zip archive containing absolute path
    >
    > Hi Hans,
    >
    > May I ask you to confirm which version (and build number, click on the version to reveal it) of macOS are you running?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jordan
    > Path Finder Support Team
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/153463-decompress-zip-archive-containing-absolute-path
    >
    > ---
    >
    > To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://support.cocoatech.com, visit https://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/e0c08094401718052410179187ef8408bed0ac97
    >

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Nov, 2019 10:49 AM

Hi Hans,

Thanks. We've got a few similar reports, all of them on macOS Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88). It seems to be an issue specifically with this update. 

I've forwarded the details to our developers, to investigate this.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 10:49 AM.

17. Dragan re-opened this discussion on 26 Nov, 2019 08:32 PM

18. Support Staff 8 Posted by Dragan on 26 Nov, 2019 08:32 PM

Hi Hans-Jørgen,

I reproduced and fixed the extraction of archives containing absolute paths. The fix will appear in a new update in 2 - 3 days.

However, that's not what is causing kernel panics. Some other people reported kernel panics while doing any file operation (copy/move/delete/expand) and it's not always reproducible.

Since you've got two machines and one is exhibiting kernel panics, but the other is not. I'd be very interested of you can provide, in as many details as possible, differences in software and hardware between those two machines.

Also, I'd appreciate if you try the following; on that machine having kernel panics (MacBook Pro) and create fresh new user. Then try some file operations (copy/move/delete/expand) and see if the kernel panics happen while working with that freshly made user account.

Thank you for your patience, time and support.

19. 9 Posted by hjb00 on 26 Nov, 2019 10:11 PM

Never observed a crash on other operations than decompressing the sample files I already sent.
    Just performed a mix of Copy/Move/Delete/Compress/Decompress for several minutes, no issues at all.

Created a test user, exactly the same behavior (i.e. reboot) when trying to decompress the files previously sent.

Created pdf file of hardware, software and application sections in system report for both machines. Also made a File Save, generating the spx files, that probably lists the complete configuration.
    All included in the attached zip file.

Pls. let me know if you need anything else.

best regards,
    Hans-Jørgen

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac