Shelf selection grayed out

Stephen M Smith

01 Nov, 2019 11:18 PM

Just upgrade to ver 9 (9.01). Can't activate the re-instituted shelf displays ... all but left shelf selection grayed out. See screen shot.

1. 1 Posted by Moose on 02 Nov, 2019 01:29 AM

Same behavior here.

2. 2 Posted by Paul on 02 Nov, 2019 09:35 PM

Same here.

3. 3 Posted by Incanto on 02 Nov, 2019 11:52 PM

Also here. I'm starting another discussion on DropStack.

4. 4 Posted by Moose on 03 Nov, 2019 12:02 AM

I was able to get mine working.

• Deleted v 9.01
    • Reinstalled from current dmg download
    • Pulled random modules from module window to drag & drop over each of the 4 shelf areas to get the shelves to open

Working as intended from then on. Had to rebuild other preferences like contextual menu choices etc, but small discomfort. Hopefully that helps others.

5. 5 Posted by Dawtika on 03 Nov, 2019 01:11 AM

Managed to close the default shelf and all shelves are greyed out. Went back to v8.6

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 03:19 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 03:21 PM

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Nov, 2019 03:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Have you added any modules to your shelves yet? Shelves are grayed out while they contain no modules, but once you add at least one module from Window -> Modules, you should be able to expand and collapse that shelf.

Looking forward to your replies.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 03:21 PM.

10. Stephen M. Smith re-opened this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 06:56 PM

11. 7 Posted by Stephen M. Smit... on 03 Nov, 2019 06:56 PM

Hi Jordan:

OK … Windows -> Modules brings up this display:

Now what? It’s not at all clear what one does with this display.

You guys really need a decent help document … a lengthy PDF would be a good idea.

12. 8 Posted by Ray Dixon on 04 Nov, 2019 02:04 PM

I can drag a module to the left and the top shelves, but not to the bottom or the right shelf.

How do I add modules to the bottom or the right of the main window?

13. 9 Posted by dhnyny on 05 Nov, 2019 04:33 PM

Think of it this way: A shelf doesn't exist until you create it. You create it by dragging a module into your window where you want the shelf to be (select Modules from the Window menu to get the list of available modules). Then you can toggle it off and on from the toolbar.

14. 10 Posted by Ray Dixon on 05 Nov, 2019 05:50 PM

Sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood my issue. I can create a shelf by dragging Modules to the left side or the top of the main window.

If I try to drag Modules to the bottom or the right side of the Main window nothing happens.

The Shelves button in the Toolbar is set to "Accept Dropped Items" but it does not accept Modules that are dragged there.

How do I add Modules to the bottom or the right hand side of tne Main window?

15. 11 Posted by Paul Kidd on 05 Nov, 2019 07:40 PM

Paul

16. 12 Posted by Stephen M. Smit... on 05 Nov, 2019 08:36 PM

Hi:

Thanks for this … I finally figured it out, but clearly other users are mystified by this too. Why don’t you provide some on-screen guidance? How about this for the screen that opens with Window -> Modules:

17. 13 Posted by george defenbau... on 16 Nov, 2019 12:55 PM

I want to add my name to the complaint list that the Help function is sorely, sorely lacking. Once I discovered PathFinder last year, I can't operate without it. But I've wasted a huge amount of time since v9 was released trying to understand why my bottom and top shelf icons were gray. Once I read this thread (yea, probably should have discovered it earlier), I NOW see that creating the bottom shelf is as simple as dragging the Sidebar module to the bottom of the screen.

Something needs to be done to get how to use information, especially for new (or returning) features, to user's more quickly.

Not ever feature is intuitively obvious to all users.

18. 14 Posted by Karstyn on 03 Dec, 2019 04:38 AM

I have moved modules to the left, top and right edges and get those areas to open up to place the module in them. However the bottom will not expand at all. When trying to drop a module along the bottom the module icon has the circle with the slash meaning 'no can do'.

How can I move a module to create a bottom shelf when the window won't allow it?

19. 15 Posted by Katbel on 30 Dec, 2019 12:32 AM

I have the same issue on my MBP where I use Mojave
    On another computer with HighSierra there is no issue and all shelves, after dropping the modules, work. Mojave+ PathFinder 9.0.6 = no bottom shelf
    I'm not sure if the problem is related to the system or to the app
    I agree 100% that the help for 9.0 is lacking terribly and that the app is loosing the intuitive approach as it had years ago. I've been looking to find an answer since the app became available...and eventually find this answer.

20. 16 Posted by Jan Baumann on 25 Feb, 2020 12:41 PM

I had everything set up perfectly, then my computer crashed and all PathFinder customizations with it. Now I am in the same boat as many above, in that right and bottom shelves won't open up when trying to add modules to them. My computer is a Catalina MBP 13" from 2016.

This irks me for two reasons: first, why do I loose all my customizations of PathFinder if my computer crashes? This hints to some serious flaws in the way PathFinder handles its own configuration. Simply put the customizations in a file that is saved every time something is edited and the problem with lost customizations would be minimized, however there are other threads for this still unresolved issue.

Second, how come I was able to set up PathFinder with right and bottom shelves a few weeks ago and now this doesn't work anymore? Features gone missing during version updates (7 => 8) are annoying enough, but features going missing after a reboot?

I really want to keep working with PathFinder, but the time invested by me in getting it to work over and over again is making me think about alternatives ...

21. 17 Posted by Barry on 25 Feb, 2020 04:06 PM

This problem has happened to me a few times in the past. Every time except once I had to delete my preferences and start again. One time, it just magically started working again.

Since then I've religiously kept a module present on the right, left, and bottom. Today I made the mistake of moving the one on the right to share the bottom shelf with what was already there. Then, the top and bottom would not except a module when it was dragged there; only the bottom and left would.

I figured it must be a screen geometry issue, so I made the application full screen. This fixed the problem on the right side, but the top still refuses to accept a module.

This is version Path Finder 9.0.6 (2027) and Catalina 10.15.3.

22. 18 Posted by Barry on 25 Feb, 2020 04:12 PM

Experimenting a bit more.

When I drag a module to any side, the icon in the menu bar lights up at the same moment the area opens to accept the dropped module.

Currently, with the top failing to open, the icon for the top lights up when the module is hovering any where near the top (the middle of the window on up). At the same time the icon lights up, the top of the window adds just a few pixels, suggesting it's starting to open up for the drop.

23. 19 Posted by groomedmonkey on 01 Mar, 2020 04:36 PM

I have this issue too where 3 of my shelves were greyed out and dragging a module to the top and bottom worked but the right-side isn't accepting a module. It presents a crossed circle icon under the mouse cursor. Is there a way to add a module in a preference file to get this to work?

I have also had weird issues where PF suddenly shows all shelves empty and no browser. I closed the shelves after one of these instances and I think that is why my shelves are empty.

24. 20 Posted by Katbel on 28 Mar, 2020 12:35 AM

I just got lucky and I was able to add the 4th shelf on the right-side
    It wasn't accepting anything because I was trying to drop the module from left to right
    Then by chance I did the opposite dropping my module from right to left and it became alive!!
    Too afraid it's not going to work a second time but you can try yourself and see if it's the case for you too

25. 21 Posted by Katbel on 28 Mar, 2020 12:40 AM

P.s When I wrote from right to left I meant from outside Pathfinder browser
    Drag the module toward the inside from the right side

26. 22 Posted by Barry on 28 Mar, 2020 03:41 PM

I gave it a try Katbel. I removed what I had in the right shelf. I then tried to add back a module from all different directions and nothing worked. I made Pathfinder full screen and was able to put the module back.

I work in clamshell mode with two monitors; I wonder if that's relevant. Does anyone have the problem when not using an external monitor?

I'm on Path Finder version 9.1 (2040), Catalina 10.15.4.

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 04:32 PM.

28. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 04:34 PM

29. Support Staff 23 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Mar, 2020 04:34 PM

Hi Barry,

Are you able to reproduce this issue on dual monitor setup? If so, what are the steps to reproduce it, we'll try this on our end!

Could you please also send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file if you can reproduce this issue? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

30. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 04:34 PM.

31. Barry re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 05:01 PM

32. 24 Posted by Barry on 29 Mar, 2020 05:01 PM

Well, bad news. I was working on your request and I got a behavior I don't think I've ever seen before. As a consequence, my Path Finder is fixed and I can no longer reproduce the problem.

I had Preview in the bottom shelf and Info in the right shelf. I closed the Info module and Path Finder crashed. I don't think I've ever seen that. (I have the crash report from the popup in case you want it.) When I restarted Path Finder the full module state seemed to have been reset. Only the left module was present and it was in its initial state (e.g. without my customized favorites and the ordering of sections different than how I leave it). Now, all the shelves are behaving properly, even the top one which hasn't worked for quite some time.

In case it's relevant, it has been just a couple of days since I applied the last Path Finder update.

Unless the latest Path Finder addressed something related to this issue, I do expect the problem to come back. I'll return to your request then.

33. Support Staff 25 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Mar, 2020 05:06 PM

Hi Barry,

Path Finder 9.1 does include some minor updates to shelves and modules architecture, so the issue is likely to be fixed in the last version.

Please, do send us the crash report file in a separate email. Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

34. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 05:06 PM.

35. Barry re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 05:08 PM

36. 26 Posted by Barry on 29 Mar, 2020 05:08 PM

Hi Jordan,

That's great news - fingers crossed. I sent the crash report to you in an email.

37. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 05:09 PM.

38. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Mar, 2020 05:10 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• SS_1280.png 28.7 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac