Shelf selection grayed out

Stephen M Smith

01 Nov, 2019 11:18 PM

Just upgrade to ver 9 (9.01). Can't activate the re-instituted shelf displays ... all but left shelf selection grayed out. See screen shot.

1. 1 Posted by Moose on 02 Nov, 2019 01:29 AM

Same behavior here.

2. 2 Posted by Paul on 02 Nov, 2019 09:35 PM

Same here.

3. 3 Posted by Incanto on 02 Nov, 2019 11:52 PM

Also here. I'm starting another discussion on DropStack.

4. 4 Posted by Moose on 03 Nov, 2019 12:02 AM

I was able to get mine working.

• Deleted v 9.01
    • Reinstalled from current dmg download
    • Pulled random modules from module window to drag & drop over each of the 4 shelf areas to get the shelves to open

Working as intended from then on. Had to rebuild other preferences like contextual menu choices etc, but small discomfort. Hopefully that helps others.

5. 5 Posted by Dawtika on 03 Nov, 2019 01:11 AM

Managed to close the default shelf and all shelves are greyed out. Went back to v8.6

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 03:19 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 03:21 PM

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Nov, 2019 03:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Have you added any modules to your shelves yet? Shelves are grayed out while they contain no modules, but once you add at least one module from Window -> Modules, you should be able to expand and collapse that shelf.

Looking forward to your replies.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 03:21 PM.

10. Stephen M. Smith re-opened this discussion on 03 Nov, 2019 06:56 PM

11. 7 Posted by Stephen M. Smit... on 03 Nov, 2019 06:56 PM

Hi Jordan:

OK … Windows -> Modules brings up this display:

Now what? It’s not at all clear what one does with this display.

You guys really need a decent help document … a lengthy PDF would be a good idea.

12. 8 Posted by Ray Dixon on 04 Nov, 2019 02:04 PM

I can drag a module to the left and the top shelves, but not to the bottom or the right shelf.

How do I add modules to the bottom or the right of the main window?

13. 9 Posted by dhnyny on 05 Nov, 2019 04:33 PM

Think of it this way: A shelf doesn't exist until you create it. You create it by dragging a module into your window where you want the shelf to be (select Modules from the Window menu to get the list of available modules). Then you can toggle it off and on from the toolbar.

14. 10 Posted by Ray Dixon on 05 Nov, 2019 05:50 PM

Sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood my issue. I can create a shelf by dragging Modules to the left side or the top of the main window.

If I try to drag Modules to the bottom or the right side of the Main window nothing happens.

The Shelves button in the Toolbar is set to "Accept Dropped Items" but it does not accept Modules that are dragged there.

How do I add Modules to the bottom or the right hand side of tne Main window?

15. 11 Posted by Paul Kidd on 05 Nov, 2019 07:40 PM

Paul

16. 12 Posted by Stephen M. Smit... on 05 Nov, 2019 08:36 PM

Hi:

Thanks for this … I finally figured it out, but clearly other users are mystified by this too. Why don’t you provide some on-screen guidance? How about this for the screen that opens with Window -> Modules:

17. 13 Posted by george defenbau... on 16 Nov, 2019 12:55 PM

I want to add my name to the complaint list that the Help function is sorely, sorely lacking. Once I discovered PathFinder last year, I can't operate without it. But I've wasted a huge amount of time since v9 was released trying to understand why my bottom and top shelf icons were gray. Once I read this thread (yea, probably should have discovered it earlier), I NOW see that creating the bottom shelf is as simple as dragging the Sidebar module to the bottom of the screen.

Something needs to be done to get how to use information, especially for new (or returning) features, to user's more quickly.

Not ever feature is intuitively obvious to all users.

18. 14 Posted by Karstyn on 03 Dec, 2019 04:38 AM

I have moved modules to the left, top and right edges and get those areas to open up to place the module in them. However the bottom will not expand at all. When trying to drop a module along the bottom the module icon has the circle with the slash meaning 'no can do'.

How can I move a module to create a bottom shelf when the window won't allow it?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• SS_1280.png 28.7 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac