Path Finder 9

vwc

31 Oct, 2019 08:36 AM

Other than a passing reference in another post today (31 October 2019) I was not aware, nor received any announcement, that Path Finder 9 was released from the beginning of October 2019.

Other than the shelf function returning (in a modified way compared to Path Finder 7), what is new or changed? The release notes at https://cocoatech.com/#/support stop at version 8.6.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Support Staff 31 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Nov, 2019 12:30 PM

Hi Dennis,

Does it still happen on Path Finder 9.0.4?

We've got a few similar reports, all of them on macOS Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88). It seems to be an issue specifically with this update. 

I've forwarded the details to our developers to investigate this further.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 12:30 PM.

3. d2ferguson re-opened this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 02:35 PM

4. 32 Posted by d2ferguson on 22 Nov, 2019 02:35 PM

Presumably this is in regards to drop stack operation. If not, my apologies. I have **10.15.1 (19B88)** and PathFinder 9.04. The drop stack works as it should on 9.04. I did have to delete anything with regard to earlier versions of PathFinder and re-install as if it were a first time installation.

> On 2019, Nov 22, at 06:30 AM, Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > From: Path Finder Support Team (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Path Finder 9
    >
    > Hi Victor,
    >
    >
    > Does it still happen on Path Finder 9.0.4?
    >
    > We've got a few similar reports, all of them on macOS Catalina **10.15.1 (19B88)**. It seems to be an issue specifically with this update.
    >
    >
    > I've forwarded the details to our developers, to investigate this.
    >
    > Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jordan
    > Path Finder Support Team
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/152426-path-finder-9
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. 33 Posted by Rob on 22 Nov, 2019 03:09 PM

I am not on Catalina. I have Mojave macOS 10.14.6 and Pathfinder v8.6 (1977). It asks me to update to v9 every day, despite being set to not check for new versions.

6. Support Staff 34 Posted by Dragan on 26 Nov, 2019 06:28 PM

That settings doesn’t work, due to a bug I introduced when switching to new Sparkle version. I fixed it only now in 9.0.4. I apologise for the inconvenience. Anyway, you can avoid further automatic checks by writing into Path Finder preferences directly from the terminal. In Terminal.app execute:

defaults write com.cocoatech.PathFinder SUEnableAutomaticChecks NO

That should disable automatic update checks, manual checks will still work.
  7. 35 Posted by Philippe Barey on 30 Nov, 2019 04:38 PM

I want to wait before upgrading to version 9, but I keep getting pestered by updgrade notices.

Clicking "Skip this version" and deactivating Automatic update verification in Preferences has no effect.

This is very annoying and spammy. I love Path Finder, but if this is part of your new business model, I'm not buying.

8. 36 Posted by Prado on 01 Dec, 2019 08:21 PM

Hi,
    PathFinder 9 fix a LOT of bugs that existed on PF8, really a lot.
    It is not just "made for Catalina" users.

About the annoying update problem, as a last resource you can block network access to the update server.

edit /etc/hosts on your macbook, and insert the line below to block its checking

Edit:
    sudo vi /etc/hosts

Insert the line:
    0.0.0.0 d3sp89svrxzy0t.cloudfront.net

Save the file.
    By doing it, PF will never reach the update server to check for new versions.

You can also block it on your router's firewall or any other firewall you may be using.

If you later change your mind, just remove that line from /etc/hosts

9. 37 Posted by Philippe Barey on 01 Dec, 2019 10:47 PM

Thanks rcprador for the information about bug squashing and the blocking suggestion.

I must apologize, because Dragan had posted an explanation and fix for the annoying notifications in the post just above mine (I hadn't read the whole post because I'm neither on Mojave nor Catalina).

So apologies and thanks Dragan, your Terminal command worked!

10. 38 Posted by Prado on 01 Dec, 2019 10:50 PM

No problem, you are welcome.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac