Renaming in Column View / Version History / Forum Thread Closing

lryter

25 Oct, 2019 06:18 PM

Hi again, here we go creating new threads for the many that already exist. So first, another request to fix your auto-thread closing for everyone's sanity.

Is the issue of renaming in column view fixed or not in 8.6? I am still waiting to upgrade from PF7 until it is, and see no mention on your release notes, speaking of which…

Found out how to find vers. 8 release notes in another forum thread by a link, but how do you actually navigate to that from the main site? Can't find it.

1. 1 Posted by mhwill on 01 Nov, 2019 09:08 PM

Well, I can tell you that the ability to rename a file (by clicking twice on the file name) still does not work in PathFinder v9. BUT, I did read in another post, that selecting a file then hitting your ENTER key (not the Return key) DOES allow you to rename the file. That is an improvement (but not a fix).

2. 2 Posted by lryter on 01 Nov, 2019 09:26 PM

Wow. There's a Path Finder 9? And still no fix for this basic issue? Thanks for the info about the workaround, but I'll stay with PF7 until this is actually fixed. No need for Catalina yet either, so that works.

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Nov, 2019 10:02 PM.

4. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 Nov, 2019 10:03 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 Nov, 2019 10:03 PM

Hi lryter,

1. You should be able to re-open existing threads by replying to them. This works over email, and we are looking into why logged-in users experience issues with the same.
    2. We are still looking into this issue, sorry for the inconvenience.
    3. Release notes for Path Finder 8 are available on our min site on the support page (scroll down to Online Help section). We haven't published Path Finder 9 release notes on the site yet.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Nov, 2019 10:03 PM.

7. lryter re-opened this discussion on 02 Nov, 2019 01:51 PM

8. 4 Posted by lryter on 02 Nov, 2019 01:51 PM

1. Thank you! I just realized that it doesn't give you the option to reply or re-open if you're not logged in. I'm not sure how long that's been the case, but it works when logged in. I recommend changing the text at the end of the thread (that says it's closed) to include login to reply or reopen (or whatever)

2. I think after so long it would be appropriate if you give more details about why this is such a difficult issue to fix, along with an estimation of when it will be. It worked with every version of PF before 8. It's the normal behavior with the Finder.

3. OK thanks. Musta missed that. I would kinda expect it to be somewhere on the product page, near a download button, or feature list.

9. 5 Posted by sbpedit on 03 Nov, 2019 07:45 PM

Re renaming a file. I just discovered that by hitting the Enter key you can rename a file in the PF window.
    Where is that documented?
    For that matter, where is the manual for using this program. Many aspects of it are very confusing (or hidden?).
    And why do I have to keep looking for reCaptcha traffic lights, buses, crosswalks, etc. These are a complete waste of time if I'm already logged in, no?

10. 6 Posted by Vojtěch Knyttl on 06 Nov, 2019 08:59 PM

Hi, how do you rename the file with enter key? For me it launches corresponding app.

I would love to go back to PF7, but there is no way on Catalina :/

11. 7 Posted by sbpedit on 06 Nov, 2019 11:22 PM

The Enter key is on the keypad. If you use the Return key above the Shift key on the keyboard it will open the file. Using Enter will unlock the namebox so that you can edit the name.

I also discovered under Preferences that if you go to Features > Contextual Menus you can move the Rename command from the left to the right column so that it appears when you right-click a file name.

I still don't know where the program documentation is, which should explain this to users like you and me.

12. 8 Posted by cdturri on 09 Nov, 2019 11:26 PM

"Is the issue of renaming in column view fixed or not in 8.6?" "I can tell you that the ability to rename a file (by clicking twice on the file name) still does not work in PathFinder v9"

This works for me on v9. In column view I left click twice with a small pause and the file name becomes selected and I can rename it. Am I missing something here?

13. 9 Posted by lryter on 10 Nov, 2019 12:56 PM

cdturri – that's interesting. I haven't installed PF9 yet (I tried 8.x and it didn't work like that), but you're the first person who says it does. That's what we're talking about.

14. 10 Posted by Vojtěch Knyttl on 10 Nov, 2019 01:06 PM

For me in PF9 it sometimes works and sometimes still doesn't. Mostly I have to use the right-click menu.

15. 11 Posted by cdturri on 10 Nov, 2019 03:42 PM

Out of interest what is exactly what doesn't work? Is it that after two clicks with a puse between them you don't get the filename selected or is it that the rename fails?

16. 12 Posted by sbpedit on 10 Nov, 2019 07:51 PM

Ah, yes, a very slight pause, which is oddly very annoying and a bit hard for my eager hand to control.

I prefer the right click, which I suspect takes a few milliseconds longer. The native Mac solution, of hitting the Return key, opens the file. The Enter key (on the keypad, if you have one) activates the filename for renaming.

Have they gotten rid of annoying reCAPTCHA hydrants, crosswalks, buses, and traffic signals yet?

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2019 01:28 PM.

18. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Nov, 2019 01:29 PM

19. Support Staff 13 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Nov, 2019 01:29 PM

Hi lryter,

1. We've updated the code for displaying all views. For some reason, Column view is affected in very strange and specific ways (e.g. the rename doesn't work reliably, unless Path Finder is in the Full Screen, then it works flawless). 

As for CAPTCHAs etc. could you please take a screenshot and report it in a separate issue? Logged-in users should not get it, especially if you were registered for some time already. 
    If this occurs to you while logged in, do report it and we'll look further into the issue

sbpedit, this can be adjusted in Path Finder -> Preferences -> Features -> Keyboard. You may choose what to do on Enter and Return keys. You are correct that our documentation would need some updates - we are working on it!

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2019 01:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac