"New Browser" — Can two different "Saved browser" windows be used at same time on desktop, configured independently?

Richard Hoefer

16 Oct, 2019 02:25 AM

I cannot figure out how "Save Browser" and "New Browser" work. It is a very confusing interface with very unexpected behaviors.

(NOTE: Screenshots are being added in a separate reply post below, since i keep getting the annoying error "413 Request Entity Too Large" )

1) Can more than one "Saved browser" window be used at same time on desktop, configured independently? If so, how? Every time I attempt to create "New Browser" then "Save" it, it remains in same configuration as my default browser, which I have heavily styled and customized. I cannot have two separately configured Browser windows open at the same time. (See screenshots 1 and 2 below)

2) This is my objective. Is this even possible? I want to have a completely separate browser window on-screen that consists only of the Sidebar Module, nothing else (without dual-frame file columns). See SCREENSHOT 3 below showing my CURRENT Mac desktop: The Left-most column of icons are Aliases to my most frequently used Folders, Apps and Websites. I've iconized each alias to tell me its function without need of useless labels always getting in the way. That's all I want, the iconized Folders and Links that I want, exactly in this vertical configuration. This way I can easily drag drop desktop items to things like SCREENSHOTS folder, LINKS folder etc.

SCREENSHOT 4 shows my Desktop — along with my currently styled and configured Pathfinder "default" browser. I use a Sidebar Module for column 1, and then you see the dual-pane file directories.

SCREENSHOT 5 shows my desired objective: To take that capability of Pathfinder to have a customized Sidebar, and have a standalone Pathfinder Browser instance consisting only of a Sidebar Column module and nothing else — no dual-pane module at all — to take the place of my Mac's very limited native capabilities which allow me to use Folder aliases but visually cluttered with all those useless alias labels, which for this use case are not helpful to me at all.

SCREENSHOT 6 shows this Pathfinder "standalone" Sidebar module as I would like to use it -- to replace my entire need to use Mac Desktop Alias Folders at all here.

SCREENSHOT 7 shows that Standalone Sidebar Module — plus my "regular" Pathfinder dual-pane browser window, including a completely independent Favorites Sidebar customized separately from the Standalone Sidebar Module. This is what I want to do and want to know can Pathfinder be used in this way? And if not, I don't know any othere way to say this than "WHY NOT?"

But regardless of I can have a Sidebar-Only instancem how can I have two separately saved Pathfinder Browser instances, each separately configured and styled, on my Desktop at the same time? Thank you

1. 1 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 16 Oct, 2019 02:28 AM

ADDITIONAL NUMERED SCREENSHOTS related to Original Post:

2. 2 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 16 Oct, 2019 02:29 AM

3. 3 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 16 Oct, 2019 02:30 AM

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2019 12:34 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Oct, 2019 12:35 PM

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Oct, 2019 12:35 PM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reaching out!

Saved Browser intention was to save your current working area, mainly current view and tabs. It is one of the older components of Path Finder and is yet to be updated to preserve the module layout. So I'm afraid it's not currently possible.

Having said that, may I ask you what would you like it to do? As an (obviously) big fan of customizations, what would be your suggestions for the "save browser" and other "Save..." menu options?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2019 12:35 PM.

8. Richard Hoefer re-opened this discussion on 21 Oct, 2019 07:32 AM

9. 5 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 21 Oct, 2019 07:32 AM

Jordan, thanks for replying. I understand re: saved browser session configuration being party of an older software architecture. You asked what my use case is, what I'm looking for? Honestly that's what I thought I just posted about (see Screenshot 6 and 7). I'm not sure it was worth all the effort to screenshot, document, write up. But maybe I provided too much info.

What I wanted was what I have been looking for for five years: A simple vertical palette that I can drag drop anything onto it — Apps, Docs, Folders, Shortcuts — and the palette docks to left or right side of screen. As it turns out, with Catalina's release turning lots of Mac software apps obsolete, I accidentally discovered an older app that still works through Mojave, and it does exactly what I wanted. It's called DragThing (link: https://www.dragthing.com/ ) . Since I am running High Sierra on my MacPro tower, and Mojave on my MacbookPro, I can still use this app and it solves my needs.

That said, it's sad that Pathfinder has such long arduous development cycles. I've had to more or less figure out mostly everything on my own. For anyone interested, this is
    portion of my right-screen on my 2-screen setup (SCREENSHOT BELOW). I was able to accomplish the dockable palette using DragThing, which is the object on left side of screen. The object to its right is my Pathfinder browser with 2-columns of Favorites I can now drag-drop to easily without needing the dual pans for most of my work now. At the right side of the browser is a RECENT FOLDERS module, and below it a RECENT DOCS module.

The two wishes are that I would want Recent Files to have tool-tip info display upon hover so I can see what's there without distracting text. Second, even though they are "Recent Docs", I nevertheless would like to be able to SORT them by "Date Modified". I found that the most current items (Folders or files) are not always at the top of the list, which is unusual.) Thanks!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• 1__Pathfinder_"New_Browser"_Menu.png 110 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac