Finder's Remove from Dock not working on Catalina

ZZ

14 Oct, 2019 07:09 AM

Although I disabled SIP (csrutil disable) and rebooted, I've checked "Enable Finder's Remove from Dock menu option", it's not working on Catalina. That menu item is not there so I can't hide Finder's icon.

I also tried with Trash Bin with same result.

Any ideas?

1. 1 Posted by X. Chen on 16 Oct, 2019 03:40 PM

same issue

2. 2 Posted by Kasper on 17 Oct, 2019 04:29 PM

I have the same problem using 8.6

3. 3 Posted by Max Ocklind on 20 Oct, 2019 10:25 AM

Can confirm this problem with version 8.6.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2019 01:50 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Oct, 2019 01:52 PM

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Oct, 2019 01:52 PM

Hi All,

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2019 01:52 PM.

8. ZZ re-opened this discussion on 21 Oct, 2019 08:44 AM

9. 5 Posted by ZZ on 21 Oct, 2019 08:44 AM

Is this a joke? What do you want to replicate on this? Just simply try to remove it and will see it's not working.

10. 6 Posted by Stefaan on 22 Oct, 2019 11:58 AM

Same here.
    With version 8.6 and csrutil disable I cannot remove finder from dock (applies to 2 different MacBook Pro models)

11. 7 Posted by Dispulse on 26 Oct, 2019 09:14 AM

I'm facing the same annoying issue. The "Enable Finder's Remove from Dock menu option" and "Enable Trash's Remove from Dock menu option" are there. But when clicking them (with SIP being disabled) they check, restart the Dock and immediately uncheck again. So no possibility to hide Finder and Trash from the Dock anymore...

Please investigate on this and release an update.

macOS Catalina 10.15
    Path Finder 8.6

12. 8 Posted by Scott on 03 Nov, 2019 04:02 PM

I have the same issue. Please resolve.

macOS Catalina 10.15.1
    Path Finder 8.6 (1977)

13. 9 Posted by jackson.alexand... on 05 Nov, 2019 01:22 PM

I have the same issue how can you replicate the problem, you press hide but it does not go

14. 10 Posted by Dispulse on 05 Nov, 2019 01:54 PM

Same issue here. Version 9 (paid upgrade) even removes those two options completely! WTF?

15. 11 Posted by ZZ on 05 Nov, 2019 02:12 PM

Confirmed. Ver9 removed both options. That's amazing way how to solve problems. Does anyone have idea how to remove Finder's icon in other way?

16. 12 Posted by rick.baumhauer on 06 Nov, 2019 06:50 PM

I'm pretty sure that this is out of Cocoatech's hands, and that's why it has been removed in v9. Apple has increasingly protected core OS files, and with Catalina, has put the OS on it's own separate, read-only volume. Getting rid of those icons relies on modifying core OS files or folders, and is simply no longer possible.

17. 13 Posted by Scott on 06 Nov, 2019 08:07 PM

OK. Was finally able to get this to work.

macOS Catalina 10.15.1
    Path Finder 8.6 (1977)

1. Disable SIP
    2. After logging back in, open terminal and type "sudo mount -uw /". Enter your password.
    3. Now you can use the Pathfinder checkboxes in the app's preferences to add the menu item Remove From Dock to both the Trash and the Finder.

Still need to test if it's persistent after restart and also if SIP is re-enabled.

Hope this helps.

18. 14 Posted by Scott on 06 Nov, 2019 08:31 PM

Tested both restart and re-enabling SIP. The change is persistent. All works like it did before Catalina now. Don't upgrade to 9! Or those checkboxes won't be there to use!

CocoaTech - if the checkboxes aren't added back to v9, can you at least post the how to add remove from dock so we can do it ourselves?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac