The files stored only in iCloud (not downloaded the full version to local macOS) can't find in Path Finder

LeYi Zhang

27 Sep, 2019 07:03 AM

As the topic said, I stored almost all the files in iCloud, a lot of docs, pics ... there are some of them were only stored in iCloud, I can see them in the Apple Finder, but with a little "Cloud logo" beside them. All these files do NOT appear in PathFinder, version 8.6.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by tacitus99 on 28 Sep, 2019 12:41 PM

I have a similar problem with V8.6 - files appear in iCloud drive in the Finder but I cannot see them with PF8.6

If I try to add iCloud Drive to my favorites I can navigate to iCloud drive: ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs but PF8 displays something entirely different to what I see in the Finder.

2. 2 Posted by tacitus99 on 29 Sep, 2019 09:05 AM

Managed to sort my own problem with PF not displaying iCloud files correctly. Surprisingly I found the solution from another post which had details of how to recover the sidebar.

Having closed the sidebar I then recovered it by using: Window -> modules and then dragging the sidebar icon into the relevant window in PF. Then quit and reopen PF. iCloud Drive was now in the sidebar with all the relevant files displayed.

Why this fixed the problem I have no idea, although possibly it flushed a cache somwhere and allowed it to refresh. However it may help others like the OP above who is unable to see iCloud Drive files in PF.

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Sep, 2019 09:46 AM.

4. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Sep, 2019 09:46 AM

5. 3 Posted by LeYi Zhang on 29 Sep, 2019 04:32 PM

@tacitus99 Thank you for the reply. I did the same thing as you said, but with no luck, some files are still can't find in PF.
    I think maybe it's due to the latest macOS Catalina changed some iCloud functions? I'm not sure, but I know the files with a little cloud logo in the Finder means it not downloaded from iCloud to the local machine yet, when you try to open the file at the first time, it will be downloaded, then ... I can find this file even in the PF.
    So ... it looks like PF can't know the file exists if it only stored in iCloud but not in the local machine.

6. 4 Posted by tacitus99 on 29 Sep, 2019 05:31 PM

I'm still on Mojave so I can't really comment on what happens with the betas of Catalina.

However when I view iCloud files in Finder they all have the cloud icon by them which indicates they are being stored in the cloud. Nonetheless for me they are viewable with PF 8.6 and MacOS 10.14.6.

Since the only difference between your case and mine is that you are running Catalina - preusmably one of the latest public beta releases - then as you say, the problem appears to be something to do with PF8 and Catalina.

Sorry I can't help you further.

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Oct, 2019 08:32 AM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Oct, 2019 08:33 AM

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Oct, 2019 08:40 AM

Hi LeYi,

Do you have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled for your iCloud Drive? If so, please uncheck it and click on the cloud icons to download the files locally. Unfortunately, Path Finder can't see files that are not on your local machine. It looks like Finder can communicate with iCloud over a private API to know that there are such files, but we don't have access to such API.

You may also find additional information about iCloud Drive integration in Path Finder in this article, it was written for Path Finder 7 but remains correct for PF8 in most regards. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Oct, 2019 08:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac