Info Window is Blank Fix

morelli

17 Sep, 2019 03:08 AM

I'm running PF 8.3.9 (because of the AirDrop Share bug in 8.6) and OS X 10.14.6.

I've seen several previous discussions of this problem and I recently experienced it. I stumbled on an easy fix, so I thought I'd share.
Cocoatech support advised completely uninstalling PF and then reinstalling. That would be painful for people with a lot of customization. The procedure I did solved the problem in a couple of minutes without losing any settings. If someone knows a reason why this procedure might have a bad consequence, chime in.

Here's the procedure:
1. Move the files
~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist.xxxxxx to another location outside the Preferences directory.

1. Open PathFinder. It will behave as if it were the first launch, no customisations were present, etc.

2. Close PathFinder.

3. Delete the preference files
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist.xxxxx

4. Move the old preference files back to the directory ~/Library/Preferences

5. Launch PathFinder. (It still looks like its in the first launch.) Then close it. Then open it again.

The second time you launch it, all your customisations are back and the Info window now works.

1. morelli closed this discussion on 17 Sep, 2019 03:08 AM.

2. morelli re-opened this discussion on 17 Sep, 2019 03:24 AM

3. 1 Posted by morelli on 17 Sep, 2019 03:24 AM

A few comments.

First, for anyone who is new here, the extraordinarily annoying, pointless messages, that the discussion was closed, then re-opened, then closed, then ... are apparently automatically generated by the bug tracking software. I could speculate on the IQ of whoever decided to make that a feature, or whoever configured the software that way, but I'll refrain.

Second, the post about Windows SMB has nothing to do with anything. That was automatically posted by the bug tracking system.

Third, the strange formatting and numbering (with two number 1's) is also being an artifact of the bug tracking system. If you want to see the post in its uncorrupted form, copy the text of my post and paste it into a text window on your own computer. You will see it formatted as it was originally intended.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Sep, 2019 12:19 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Sep, 2019 12:20 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac