Seriously. Is this even usable? Screen Updates WTF

Tony Diaz

16 Sep, 2019 12:47 AM

I 'upgraded' to 8.6.whatever because of the touted improvements to copying.

I can't tell actually, other than the little drop down dialog thing that nearly doesn't give you enough time to tick that little box to make it not show up anymore.

What I can tell is - I have several windows open and when I move files from one to the other? LOL. I see them in both places sometimes for several minutes.

Using the non-Spotlight search to find files and move them, it's like they NEVER go away. Ever. It also does not seem to actually even find them all as if I go use Finder to move them, I shouldn't see any more results when I run the search again?

Well, I do. It must not have found them all the first time around.

I'm searching this specifically for occurrences of 'WANS' in file names.
/Volumes/KMET/Audio_Library/iTunes/Music It shows "Music" in the Path Finder header, and that is all that is select in the "Other" tickbox of pathnames.

I am then taking what I find there and dragging it to another window, or a sidebar alias, whatever, to:

/Volumes/KMET/Audio_Library/iTunes/WANS

Yeah, okay. I'm giving it a workout, I'm selecting 600 files, doing a clipboard copy,
Because dragging and waiting just takes too long, so I do the Open-Apple-C Copy and wait until the disc of doom stops spinning, then I go over to the other window and click in there to bring it to the front.. Paste. Another session of Disc of Doom, eventually the dialog box comes up and asks me what I want to do with dupes/directories ... merge, replace, whatever. Fine. I tell it what I want and go find something else to do. When I come back I see see the same files still listed in the search results even though they have now been -MOVED- not copied out. Okay, so maybe the non-spotlight search is 'dumb', I can handle that. But if I have the a window open of "Music" I should see the files disappear from there too.

Nope. Maybe it will in 10 minutes, an hour, maybe seemingly 'never'. I assigned F5 to the "Refresh" menu option. It's like screaming at a wall. It does -nothing-

That directory is below /Music. yet I get -some- search returns with that path in the search I just did. Why?

Three screenshots: (4K desktop size)
1: 5 minutes after I moved the file it still shows in the source window, not in the target.
2: 6 minutes after I moved it, after hitting Refresh, it shows in the target window -and- the source window.

8 minutes later, it's finally gone from the source.

The empty "Get Info" window tells me the file is no longer at the source location because I get a blank window when selecting that entry.

I also tell it to stay within an embedded sub directory. It does, mostly. Except as you see in #3.
The third one is showing search results outside of the specified scope.

Yes, you can see from my screen that I'm probably giving it a workout,. So I expect some delayed action. It's nearly as bad as Finder was in the PPC era where as Finder now just totally runs circles around Path Finder.

Yes, I've reinstalled from removing all traces of preferences.
This particular Mac is an oddball setup, but I get the same results on a 2018 top line MacBook Pro.

You all need to start over. One feature at a time. A simple finder replacement is what most people are buying this for. You all had that -NAILED- back when. All these 'trays' 'plates' 'modules' are nothing but a 'pane' in the arse. Your feature set for just working with files/folders is to die for. Merging, options on replacing, keeping both,.

If I start adding modules like I had in PF6, just forget it. As it is I need to quit PF every 2-30 minutes or so because it just becomes worse.

It's the best and pretty much only thing in it's class that can claim to be a full on Finder replacement. That part you've got nailed down. Now if it only actually acted like Finder.

Where should I email the screen shots since together they are more than 10MB?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 Sep, 2019 10:11 AM

Hi Tony,

You may undo with a Command + Z, and disable this panel in Path Finder -> Preferences -> Show Undo Panel.

Could you please provide us with more info regarding the Search troubles, or perhaps an instruction on how to replicate it?

As for copy performance, do you have "queue file operations" and/or "verify on copy" enabled by any chance?

Do you see an entirely blank (i.e. no modules or anything, just the outline) Get Info window if the file was moved and view wasn't updated?

As for screenshots, may I ask you to put them in a dropbox temporarily so we can download them? We are looking into allowing larger attachments.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Sep, 2019 10:11 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac