Autocomplete tag names in Path Finder 8 is missing

Isthy

25 Aug, 2019 09:53 AM

Autocomplete tag names in Path Finder 8 is missing. This was available in Path Finder 7, and it is available in macOS Finder.

Why is this CRUCIAL?
Anybody who is building a large asset library (several thousand objects) will have +100-200 different tags. For a large asset library, this is normal. In Path Finder 7, I could start typing the first few letters of a tag and I was presented all the tags that started with those characters. Therefore I did not have to remember the precise name of my tags. I only had to remember vaguely how the tag started.

In Path Finder 8, this was removed. You start typing the tag name, and nothing happens (while in Finder, it still works). In Path Finder 8, I have to remember the EXACT names of all my tags.

Kind Request:
Please look at how this feature was working in PF7 and replicate the very exact mechanism.

TRAIL:
I only started using Path Finder 8 trial. After using it for a few days, I can say that most of my previous workflow is compromised.
1) Folder Sync does not work on some of my external hard drives
2) Favourites bar is inferior to the previous version. For example, I cannot put ALIAS into it.
3) Tagging - as I just explained - does not work.

I cannot pay for the upgrade until PF8 has a working tagging system.

This discussion was closed! See this FAQ for more information:

1. My license starts with PF6: and Path Finder 7 won't accept my license code!

Path Finder licenses are version specific. If you own a PF6 license and would like to use PF7, please purchase an upgrade license.

See more..
  1. 1 Posted by Isthy on 25 Aug, 2019 09:58 AM

Can you please:
    - confirm that someone from the team saw this bug report? - and if possible: what is the estimated time required to fix this tagging issue?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Isthy on 25 Aug, 2019 10:24 AM

CLARIFICATION / FURTHER QUESTION:

I just read in your documentation that:
    "when a new tag is added to Apple Finder's tags database, it will not be added into Path Finder's tags database immediately. However, as soon as Path Finder encounters a file with that new tag, the tag will be added into Path Finder's tags database."

So maybe this is the reason why I do not see auto-complete. I just reinstalled my entire system and there is a 100% fresh new Path Finder, there is no database yet. However, on my previous system, all tags were created with Path Finder 7. I never used Apple's Finder for this job.

THEREFORE THE QUESTION IS THIS:
    - Can I migrate the Path Finder 7 tags database from my previous system? I still have a backup of that system. If yes, what folders need to be copied and where?

Thank you!

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 Aug, 2019 01:11 PM.

4. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 28 Aug, 2019 01:12 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 28 Aug, 2019 01:12 PM

Hi Istvan,

Thanks for reaching out!

We are really sorry about this not working anymore. The API for that functionality (syncing "Favorites" and Tags database with Finder) was deprecated and abandoned a long time ago. In each new version of PF it worked worse. We tried having that as long as possible, but we cross the point at which it became a liability and not feature. It became a real pain, both in customer support and code maintenance. We don't want to make any kind of excuses here, but in this case, it's really Apple to blame. As far as we know, no other 3rd party application offers that sort of synchronization, even if they did they gave up a long time ago. We kept it as long as possible, but the burden of supporting it became just too overwhelming for the benefits it provides.

Tags created in Path Finder 8 can be autocompleted. If you have encountered a file with a tag or tagged the tag, this new tag should also appear in Path Finder and be available for autocomplete. If you experience any issues with the "Tags and Ratings..." in Context menu, please try usign the Tags and Ratings module from Window -> Modules.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 Aug, 2019 01:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac