Too many windows

Andrew

19 Aug, 2019 07:08 AM

Good morning! Something has gone crazy. When I open Path Finder, I'm getting a huge number of browsers. They seem to be limitless, and the rest of the UI is accessible while they load and load. My only option seems to be a Force Quit. If I restart, even after a reboot, the process begins again. Attached is a screenshot after waiting about 10 minutes on a 2016 iMac. The two "normal" windows have been squeezed into the narrow left-hand columns, as new columns continue to be added on the right. What can I do to stop this and get back to a normal 2-window view? Note: As mentioned above, I've repeatedly tried to attach a screenshot, but when I do your system always rejects my message as too big (though the screenshot is a JPG at just 1.1 MB).

1. 1 Posted by Andrew on 19 Aug, 2019 07:11 AM

PS Here's a link to my screenshot: https://ibb.co/VtH9y6h

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Aug, 2019 08:28 AM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 19 Aug, 2019 08:30 AM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 19 Aug, 2019 08:30 AM

Hi Andrew,

Which version of macOS and Path Finder do you have installed?

Could you please try deleting the following folder:
    /Users/<username>/Library/Saved Application State/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.savedState?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Aug, 2019 08:30 AM.

6. Andrew Glassner re-opened this discussion on 19 Aug, 2019 04:34 PM

7. 3 Posted by Andrew Glassner on 19 Aug, 2019 04:34 PM

Hi Jordan,

I'd have sent you the version number, but I can't - when PF opens, all the
    UI elements are grayed out, and then the endless window-adding begins. So I
    pulled up an info pane on the app from the Finder - it says it's version
    8.6. My Mac is using OS 10.14.6 - it's a late 2014 iMac, with a 3.5 GHz
    Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, and an AMD Radeon R9 M296X 4 GB
    graphics chip.

This started just yesterday - I don't know what triggered the problem. PF
    has been working just fine for me for years.

I don't have a file by the name you gave - I found the "Saved Application
    State" folder, but there's nothing in there from cocoatech or with
    PathFinder in the name.

If there's a way to completely uninstall PF and then re-install, I'd be
    happy to try that. Actually, I'll be happy to try anything!

-Andrew

8. 4 Posted by Andrew on 19 Aug, 2019 09:31 PM

Hi Jordan,

I'd have sent you the version number, but I can't - when PF opens, all the UI elements are grayed out, and then the endless window-adding begins. So I pulled up an info pane on the app from the Finder - it says it's version 8.6. My Mac is using OS 10.14.6 - it's a late 2014 iMac, with a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, and an AMD Radeon R9 M296X 4 GB graphics chip.

This started just yesterday - I don't know what triggered the problem. PF has been working just fine for me for years.

I don't have a file by the name you gave - I found the "Saved Application State" folder, but there's nothing in there from cocoatech or with PathFinder in the name.

If there's a way to completely uninstall PF and then re-install, I'd be happy to try that. Actually, I'll be happy to try anything!

9. 5 Posted by Andrew on 21 Aug, 2019 12:13 AM

I haven't heard back, so I decided to try an uninstall/reinstall. I followed the instructions at https://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how... but of course I couldn't go into PF's preferences window, since the UI is locked up. I did everything else. Then I downloaded a fresh version of PF8. I ran it, and the Mac correctly asked me about opening an app from the web for the first time. PF8 opened, showing just two windows, but the far left pane is unpopulated, all the menu items are grayed out, and the buttons are all unresponsive (so I can't even check if it found my password correctly). The UI is completely unresponsive - I can move the window, and choose Quit from the dock icon (not the PF8 menu), but that's all. How can I get this working again?

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Aug, 2019 07:46 AM.

11. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Aug, 2019 07:47 AM

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Aug, 2019 07:47 AM

Hi Andrew,

Could you please attach a screenshot of the issue?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Aug, 2019 07:47 AM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Aug, 2019 08:53 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac