Folder size not recalculated after change by other app, no way to force refresh of size either

Jerry Krinock

27 Jun, 2019 01:06 PM

An annoying bug in Path Finder, which has been there for maybe ten years (and I think I've reported before), is this:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

• File > Get Info on a folder. • In the Info area, hit the "Calculate" button. A size is shown. • Using a different app, delete or reduce the size of large files in that folder. • Activate Path Finder.

EXPECTED RESULT

The new, smaller size should be shown, or at least be shown after you View > Reload, or the "Calculate" button should reappear.

ACTUAL RESULT

The only way to get the correct, new size is to quit and relaunch Path Finder, then Get Info, then Calculate again.

NOTES

For example, I use Arq (arqbackup.com). The size of ~/Library/Arq grows to several GB after a few weeks. There is a function in Arq > Preferencs to Clear Cache. After a Clear Cache, the size of ~/Library/Arq reduces to several hundred KB. But I cannot see the reduction unless I relaunch Path Finder or use Finder. Although I have not tried lately, I think you can also reproduce the problem by deleting files in Terminal with rm. I currently have Path Finder 8.5.4, macOS 10.14.6 beta.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 28 Jun, 2019 01:27 PM

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for reporting this!

May I ask you to check if Size Browser (Window -> Size browser) is also not refreshed?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 Jun, 2019 01:27 PM.

3. Jerome Krinock re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2019 12:53 AM

4. 2 Posted by Jerome Krinock on 29 Jun, 2019 12:53 AM

OK, I just retested this for you. I found that Size Browser does not always refresh either. I made two changes to the folder. After the first change, Get Info refreshed but Size Browser did not. After the second change, Size Browser refreshed but Get Info did not.

This is easy to reproduce, Jordan. Please create a folder and some junk files. I used files of size 100 MB+, but I do not know if that matters. Open a Get Info window, and if you want, a Size Browser on the folder. Move junk files in and out of the folder. After a few such moves you should see failure(s) to refresh. I thought this only happened if you used another app such as Terminal to do the moving, but just now I saw one fail to refresh when I moved a file in Path Finder. There are many ways to reproduce.

5. 3 Posted by Jerome Krinock on 29 Jun, 2019 12:56 AM

Oh, also try growing or shinking the sizes of the files in the folder.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Jun, 2019 02:46 PM

Hi Jerome,

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this yet, it updates within 5-15 seconds on macOS 10.14.5. Would you mind providing a bit more info to debug this?

Is this on your system drive? Is it APFS or HFS+? Does Path Finder have full disk access?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2019 02:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac