How to run PathFinder on Catalina [FIXED]

Prado

27 Jun, 2019 10:19 AM

Downgrade to version 8.2.4
It works like a charm on Catalina Beta 2!!

PS: ONLY FOR DARK MODE: If you are using dark mode you will need to customize 6 colours under:
Show View Options -> Colours to let the path bar and background dark.
Preferences ->Appearance -> Colour (check "Draw Controls for Dark Backgound")

If any module is showing white background after those color changes, goto module property and select "show translucent background" to fix the module colours.

If you are not using dark mode: no need to modify those colors. Just downgrade and enjoy.

Every feature and function of PathFinder 8.2.4 is working perfectly under Catalina (at least the features I already tested on the last 30 minutes since downgrading. And I'm still testing all other features...)

PathFinder v8.2.4 application is VERY stable under Catalina, low memory consumption, no memory leaks yet and Faster than recent versions (faster than 8.3 and above). [Since version 8.3 and above: none works under Catalina)

v 8.2.4 is working very well!

1. 1 Posted by Prado on 27 Jun, 2019 11:11 AM

All modules tested and are working !

Main window resizing is better on v8.2.4 than on v8.5 because it "remembers" the columns layout and modules layout settings when we do window resizing bigger and resizing small again after it. (this was an annoying bug on v8.5 that disorganises the layout, but this bug does not exists on v8.2.4 and your organisation keeps the way you determined it)

I'm loving v8.2.4 on Catalina

2. 2 Posted by Prado on 27 Jun, 2019 11:45 AM

*Issues: *

1) iCloud drive on Left Sidebar [under Favorites] is not working, but it can be easily fixed:
    Go to ~/Library/CloudStorage/iCloud Drive and drop it again to Favorites on the left Sidebar.

This is the iCloud Drive and will work after creating this new favorite item on left sidebar.

2) If you use OneDrive, Go to ~/OneDrive and drop it to the left Sidebar. It will also work.

3) Right-clicking and selecting "Email.." is not working. Fix it by using my e-mail Plugin (get it here: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/129962-functiona... )

4) Tags and Ratings are working, but you will need to press Refresh to see it correctly [after changing tag color or ratings].

5) Path Finder Desktop is buggy if your desktop is on iCloud. Fix: Disable it under PathFinder Preferences -> Features -> Desktop
    uncheck "Show Path Finder desktop"

3. 3 Posted by Prado on 27 Jun, 2019 11:58 AM

Plugins:
    AirDrop Share Plugin is working perfectly with PF 8.2.4 on Catalina

4. 4 Posted by Prado on 27 Jun, 2019 12:13 PM

Screen Capture via Path Finder is working. Since Catalina has Screen Capture privacy settings, the first time you try to capture the screen using Path Finder the system will show a popup asking for your permission. Give the requested permission to Path Finder under System Preferences -> Screen Capture.

It works !

5. 5 Posted by Prado on 27 Jun, 2019 12:30 PM

Running PF on Catalina for about 2 hours. I did a lot of tests, and used various features and modules, repeatedly.

No memory leaks on Path Finder.
    No crashes.
    Total PathFinder memory usage now is about 100MB, and it increases and decreases after doing some tasks, returning back to normal.

It really is super stable on Catalina.

6. 6 Posted by Sirius on 27 Jun, 2019 07:01 PM

PF 8.2.4 runs stable under Catalina but moving files to a network share isn't possible, you only can copy them.

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2019 08:29 PM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 27 Jun, 2019 08:29 PM

9. 7 Posted by Prado on 27 Jun, 2019 11:52 PM

Hi Sirius,
    I am able to move files normally. Tried now moving a file to a Windows10 SMB share, it was moved from my MacOS desktop to the Windows share.

But you need to refresh PathFinder view after moving the file (because it wrongly appears on the Desktop on the file listing but it is not anymore on my Desktop. It is just a refresh issue, but not a problem with moving the file. Moving works, just press Refresh on Path Finder after it to refresh the PathFinder view)

10. 8 Posted by Sirius on 28 Jun, 2019 05:23 PM

Hi rcprador,

When I try to move a file from my iMac to my NAS (SMB3) Pathfinder 8.2.4 makes a copy job out of it. In the progress windows appears "copying" instead of "moving". On local drives everything is okay.

11. 9 Posted by ryoichi on 28 Jun, 2019 08:06 PM

Nope. 8.2.4 still doesn't work for me. :-(

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2019 10:49 AM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2019 10:50 AM

14. 10 Posted by Stuart on 30 Jun, 2019 04:00 AM

How/where do I download v8.2.4? I'm running (or, more accurately "not running") the latest 8.5.x on Catalina public beta 1.

15. 11 Posted by seymourp on 01 Jul, 2019 07:01 AM

https://cocoatech.com/#/support has the download links

16. 12 Posted by seymourp on 01 Jul, 2019 07:10 AM

This is great thanks. When using Dark mode "Show View Options -> Colours to let the path bar and background dark." what do I need to change for the path bar please ? Cannot seem to find it.

17. 13 Posted by yufasa on 01 Jul, 2019 01:01 PM

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Support team:
    I tell you what the fn captcha sh!t has to go. Trying to post a comment and putting someone through that stupid thing is cruel and inhuman. I have logged in with a verified account. Don't go stupid on us.
    And that was me being nice. And in Fn did it again because I took too long to comment after it cleared. (Typing this message) bloody hell man!

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jul, 2019 07:05 AM.

19. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jul, 2019 07:06 AM

20. 14 Posted by jorgemariani on 05 Jul, 2019 03:32 AM

Dude. You rock!

21. 15 Posted by dflachbart on 06 Jul, 2019 02:33 PM

Thanks for posting this, overall 8.2.4 runs fine! One very annoying issue though - if you copy / move / rename files in the current file tab, the view does not show the added files or changes... You have to manually hit 'Reload' on the 'View' menu.

22. 16 Posted by dflachbart on 06 Jul, 2019 02:44 PM

Support team: I tell you what the fn captcha sh!t has to go. Trying to post a comment and putting someone through that stupid thing is cruel and inhuman. I have logged in with a verified account. Don't go stupid on us.

I have to agree to this, I had to click 9(!) freaking images to submit a post, and now another 4 times to reply to this.

As an authenticated, logged in forum user there is NO need to further go through this ordeal.

23. 17 Posted by fogcitynative on 08 Jul, 2019 04:49 PM

Choosing the pictures is a "feature" of Captcha V2. V3 eliminates it for more sophisticated ways of detecting human input. (CAPTCHA is a GOOGLE product).

It would seem Cocoatech is asleep at the wheel. I simply cannot believe a sharp, advanced technology company cannot stay current with Catalina Public Beta.

Shameful performance, Cocoatech.

Get a working version of Path Finder with Catalina and upgrade to Captcha 3 which only requires the user to click "I am not a robot". No more stupid pictures.

24. 18 Posted by Path Finder on 08 Jul, 2019 04:56 PM

Dear topic author! DOWNGRADE is NOT the SOLUTION of the PROBLEM START program. This is a half measure. This is a compromise. Solve with 8.5.4

25. 19 Posted by fogcitynative on 08 Jul, 2019 05:35 PM

Why is Cocoatech's response buried in this topic? They need to do a much better job of keeping customers informed.

Guess what?? 8.5.4 still CRASHES on launch. Meaning it is BUGGY and needs to be fixed ASAP. Otherwise, the poster is correct, 8.2.4 works. 8.5.4 does not.

Here's the key reason it is crashing . . .\

Application Specific Information:
    Crashing on exception: The window has been marked as needing another Display Window pass, but it has already had more Display Window passes than there are views in the window.
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSGenericException', reason: 'The window has been marked as needing another Display Window pass, but it has already had more Display Window passes than there are views in the window.' abort() called
    terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2019 04:41 PM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Jul, 2019 04:41 PM

28. Support Staff 20 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jul, 2019 04:47 PM

Hi All,

As an update, we don't have a publicly available beta version of Path Finder 8 that will work with macOS 10.15 Catalina beta.

However, our developers are looking into changes necessary for Path Finder to work with 10.15 Catalina. Once we release a version you may try out, I will make sure to let you know!

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

29. 21 Posted by Megavolt on 11 Jul, 2019 03:11 AM

Can you post when there is a version of 8.5 that works with Catalina? I am using Commander One for now, but it does not have all the features including to change file owner like Path Finder does.

30. Support Staff 22 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 11 Jul, 2019 09:21 AM

Hi,

Definitely, we will let all of you know once it's out!

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

31. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2019 09:21 AM.

32. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2019 10:37 AM

33. 23 Posted by riaangrobler on 12 Jul, 2019 06:18 AM

HI Jordan,

Why is it that PF is always behind in releasing new version updates? Other apps like commander one etc , have a stable working app already.. to be fair it is so stable they didn't have to change their app to work with 10.15. ..

People on this forum have narrowed down the errors and almost how to fix it for the developers? Am I missing something? I know 10.15 is Beta! , But there is over 2Mil people on the developers release. You missing a vital part of this market. By getting a reputation of incompatible software you are loosing clients.

Admittedly I prefer using PF as my main finder app ( when it works) but currently using commander one.

Just my 2 cents!
    Regards
    Riaan

34. 24 Posted by yufasa on 12 Jul, 2019 11:26 AM

Ja swaer, ons kan maar bitch...

1) I don’t think cocoatch really care to have us comment - so the Captcha will stay
    2) They don’t have any interest in development anymore - not a big enough market??

35. 25 Posted by fogcitynative on 12 Jul, 2019 11:51 AM

If they are not interested in development and don't care about the company, they should sell the company and retire.

The only have 100,000 because they have failed to do any kind of effective marketing to expand the user base.

36. 26 Posted by yufasa on 12 Jul, 2019 12:24 PM

Exactly, wish they would give it to someone who cares.

When I asked about Touch Bar support (yes, I love using it) I was shrugged off.
    As a developer myself I would have been all over it just because it is something new to add to my product. Not so here.

37. 27 Posted by Prado on 12 Jul, 2019 12:45 PM

yufasa,
    I tried to ask them for the developer API , they don't give access to it.
    I wrote a lot of plugins to fix PathFinder functions based on the open legacy API they have, and I could fix the whole PF application if I had access to it!

PF author is engaged on BlockChain applications, and I suppose PathFinder was given for someone else without skills to maintain it.

As a senior developer I am, with a lot of contributions on Open Source Project [Linux/Mac] softwares (check my latest contributions on iTerm for some deep, very deep troubleshooting coding) I care bout PathFinder and I am trying to help Path Finder and its users, but PF is not open source (the old API is) , but not the bugged-new API.

All bugs PF has today are EASY to fix, I can tell it by the modules I have done/writen, and by knowing very deep its functions and how PF is coded [along with the problems and the goodies of it]

It clearly looks like it is abandoned, and they don't have skilled people/developers to maintain it.

That seems to be the truth.

38. 28 Posted by User on 12 Jul, 2019 12:59 PM

The aMule program was last updated in 2011 and works great on Catalina 10.15. After upgrading to Catalina beta, most programs work fine. Leave yourself your 2 cents.

39. 29 Posted by Daron B on 12 Jul, 2019 01:29 PM

I must admit I bought Forklift and then went for PAthFinder due to the extra features it has. However these days I'm back with Forklift as there are so many issues which are just not being fixed or even investigated.

I for one am starting to lose hope of any real fixes being implemented.

40. 30 Posted by fogcitynative on 12 Jul, 2019 06:53 PM

Is Forklift 3 a viable alternative to Path Finder? I don't need FTP to Amazon S3 or Backblaze. I am not a developer and am not generally uploading files to servers. I think I'll give the Forklift Demo a try because the lack of response from Cocoatech tells me all I need to know.

Pathfinder is being almost silent on exactly what they plan to do. My fear is Cocoatech will end up like Ambrosia Software and just fade away.

Every time I talk to a tech at Applecare I ask them if they have ever heard of Pathfinder. So far, not a one ever has. The Apple Finder hasn't been improved in over 30 years.

Cocotech hasn't done a thing to better Market their software. Without a paid upgrade or new users, they have no cash flow to keep the doors open.

They need an investor with money, they need to start advertising online with PPC ads, they need to build relationships with the Mac Tech Journalist community. So articles and reviews get written.

Why are they chasing after blockchain when they're sitting on a gold mine that they have done a terrible job promoting.

If they are not interested in staying in business they should try to sell the company to Apple to be incorporated into OS 10.16 next year. Although if Apple doesn't get rid of Tim Cook, Apple will fall behind too. Cook is a bean counter, not a technologist.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac