PathFinder 8.5.4 hijacking my desktop

Andrew

25 Jun, 2019 06:52 PM

I've just started experiencing a strange problem with PathFinder 8.5.4 (running on macOS 10.14.5).

The "Hide Finder desktop"option seems to have turned itself on without any action from me (I'm quite certain that I've never set it). When I go into the application preferences to turn it off manually, I get "phantom" icons left on my desktop -- icons that appear to be there, but aren't selectable in any way. The real Finder icons work normally, it's just those created by Path Finder that don't do anything

If I quit Path Finder the phantom icons do go away, but when I relaunch it the "Hide Finder desktop" option has once again switched itself on. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to turn if off.

1. 1 Posted by James Dwyer on 26 Jun, 2019 10:27 PM

I quit using Pathfinder 8.5 because of similar problems. I keep hoping for obvious incremental update to resolve ghosting and phantom open folder issues (which reminds me of Windows machines I have used).

I reinstalled an earlier version for a while, but I accidentally let the auto update feature bring me back to a newer version with similar problems.

Apologies for my imprecision. I came looking for word that bugs had been squashed!

Jim

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Jun, 2019 10:28 PM

Hi Andrew and Jim, 

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of PathFinder process in a separate file - this will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2019 10:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac