version 6

akidd

22 Apr, 2012 03:19 AM

I have really anticipated v6 for a long time. Not for anything cocoatech ever revealed, but for features I would use. I have to say this does not seem like a .0 release. It is minor feature changes that appeal to a limited audience.

The Drop Stack has been the tool of the greatest promise in the product since its introduction. When I read it allowed "other file operations" I assumed it finally did what you'd expect - from the dropstack menu have Copy, Delete, Rename, etc. Seriously how often do you use this for CD Burning? It is nice that I can now drag out of it into an open folder view. Why not let me put ANY applicable file operation into its menu? Let me use this feature the way I want to, not the way you want me to.

No full screen support for Lion? Really? Sometimes filemanagement is a job that I want to have my full attention. For years I've had to maximize the PF window into its most maximized state. I was certain this would make it. Again, don't decide how I want to use it, and follow window and OS established usage metaphors.

There are lots of small disappointments: no new compression formats supported, no viewing of internal contents of archives, source control integration is nice but is it really something most users will benefit? Watching file operation progress in a queue? This seems like a feature added because you could - I can't think of a single use case it makes sense.

I've watched every single new video posted now and the best stuff I use and love PF for was in PF5. There isn't really even a What's New section - just little, green "NEW" labels on 5 features: File Transfer Queue (this one will make you more productive), ACL editor (nice, minor feature - lots of freeware to do the same thing), File Tagging, Batch Rename and Hex Editor all nice additions but still not worth a new version number and an upgrade cost.

I love your product. Please consider my comments. I'll start looking forward to v7. Next time I will fully exercise the demo before buying it.

1. Dragan closed this discussion on 23 Apr, 2012 03:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac