beware moving files from iCloud to Dropbox

geoff

17 Jun, 2019 04:52 PM

BEWARE if you move files from iCloud to Dropbox. iCloud files may have a .icloud extension which means they are NOT really be on your hard drive (any more), but "up in the iCloud." Moving files/folders with such "links only" does not move those files to Dropbox. Make sure any files in iCloud with little cloud ("need to download") symbols are downloaded onto your hard drive, and then COPY (not MOVE) the folder/files(s) to Dropbox so you can verify they actually exist on Dropbox before you delete them from iCloud. Dropbox warned me about this this morning when it detected little .icloud dribblings in my Dropbox, but it was too late for the folder I moved over the weekend. Only some of the files made it from iCloud to Dropbox. Dropbox refers you to Apple instructions, which are that you should be able to go to iCloud and restore "Recently Deleted" files, but the problem is that iCloud claims nothing was recently deleted, so effectively those files are lost. Fortunately the files lost were not a big deal, but they could have been. If iCloud were smart, as opposed to not (dumb or devious), if you referenced a file in a copy operation, it would restore the file to your computer FIRST before the copy took place, but it appears it does the dumb or devious thing and only copies the .icloud link, which is useless outside of iCloud. It's also possible this was the fault of PathFinder, a "better Finder" I use, so I'll let them know, but so far I think this is an Apple/iCloud issue.

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2019 12:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac