Unable to delete files in `/Library/` (Path Finder limitations?)

sven

12 Jun, 2019 10:40 PM

I have a util that is depreciated but very ingrained into my system (in /Library/Application Support/), and I need to remove it, but Path Finder is having issues with this (see attached logs for details). I don't know if it's a bug, or just a limitation of Path Finder, but either way I want to know more about Path Finder's capabilities. I'm comfortable removing the dir manually with the shell, so I don't need any pointers on solving my issue, just want to troubleshoot Path Finder since I love it and prefer to use it for file management.

I attempted deletion 3 times, all failing. Attached log files correspond to each attempt in order:
- CMD + DEL hotkey (File -> Move to Trash) - Commands -> Delete - Commands -> Secure Delete (level 1)

Note: I did all this after opening Path Finder using sudo open "/Applications/Path Finder.app" in an attempt to elevate the privileges of Path Finder, but no success. I assume that the utility in question has dug itself into the system since it works with low level API's and such, but I was surprised that even running Path Finder as root I could not delete the folder.

Also, I noticed that with each attempt the directory MOMENTARILY vanished, but reappeared immediately following the error.

Incidentally, the 'secure delete' attempt revealed a minor issue in Path Finder's reporting: I got a system notification reading "Items deleted successfully" which of course was false. I imagine this could be taken care of by checking to see if the operation was successful.

I'm on macOS 10.14.5, and Path Finder 8.5.4.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Jun, 2019 08:41 AM

Hi Sven,

Thanks for reporting this.

Have you allowed Full Disk Access for Path Finder? Did you quit the Asepsis app before attempting to delete this directory?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Jun, 2019 08:41 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac