Pathfinder crashes every day and sometimes ties up my machine for up to 5 minutes! Please FIX!

msatterwhite

06 Jun, 2019 12:47 PM

Like clockwork, Pathfinder crashes on a daily basis... sometimes several times a day. Then I give it another try when an update comes out and I get the same thing. This has happened since version 8.0 and I can't believe I paid for this! Please help me get this fixed! I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. It's the same error every time.

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Couldn't posix_spawn: error 13' abort() called terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Process: Path Finder [79661]
Path: /Applications/Path Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Path Finder
Identifier: Path Finder
Version: 8.5.1 (1964)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Path Finder [79661]
User ID: 1132379581

Date/Time: 2019-06-05 20:18:08.069 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y901)
Anonymous UUID: 2934C258-3354-80DC-7EA8-76B26CC8195D

Sleep/Wake UUID: E328BF44-FAC9-49D6-BF24-44A4EF1C2355

Time Awake Since Boot: 95000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 25 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 7 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Couldn't posix_spawn: error 13' abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

1. 1 Posted by msatterwhite on 06 Jun, 2019 02:58 PM

Twice today. Same error when starting PathFinder to automatically open a downloaded file.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Jun, 2019 12:11 PM

Hi Michael,

Does this still happen if you update to Path Finder 8.5.3?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Jun, 2019 12:11 PM.

4. msatterwhite re-opened this discussion on 01 Jul, 2019 02:24 PM

5. 3 Posted by msatterwhite on 01 Jul, 2019 02:25 PM

I'm using the current version and it still crashes all the time and locks up my laptop for minutes when it crashes. AARGH.

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2019 05:00 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 Jul, 2019 05:01 PM

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 Jul, 2019 05:01 PM

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

The forum is integrated with our CRM system and it automatically closes tickets after each reply.
    Every new reply reopens it, so other users should be able to comment and subscribe to your thread regardless of its status. Besides, closing the discussion does not mean the issue was resolved or ignored. We are still working on it.

Could you please attach the latest crash reports as files so we can look into this issue further?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2019 05:01 PM.

10. msatterwhite re-opened this discussion on 02 Jul, 2019 06:18 PM

11. 5 Posted by msatterwhite on 02 Jul, 2019 06:18 PM

I've attached a copy of today's crash log. Thanks for your assistance.

12. 6 Posted by msatterwhite on 03 Jul, 2019 03:06 PM

After sleeping overnight and being disconnected, it crashed again today.

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 04 Jul, 2019 10:02 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the crash logs!

May I ask if you have administrator privileges on this user? If not, could you please see if the issue persists for users with administrator privileges?

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jul, 2019 10:02 AM.

15. msatterwhite re-opened this discussion on 04 Jul, 2019 08:00 PM

16. 8 Posted by msatterwhite on 04 Jul, 2019 08:00 PM

It has crashed with every version of 8 since it came out. It continues to
    crash with 8.5.4.

[image: Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 3.57.03 PM.png]

Also, it crashed today when I opened up the laptop from a sleep.

17. 9 Posted by msatterwhite on 04 Jul, 2019 08:01 PM

Yes. I have admin privileges on the computer.

18. Support Staff 10 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Jul, 2019 12:01 PM

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for reporting this issue!

We've submitted it to our developers, sorry for the inconvenience. It may take some time to investigate it.

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2019 12:01 PM.

20. msatterwhite re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2019 12:51 PM

21. 11 Posted by msatterwhite on 31 Jul, 2019 12:51 PM

Any word on when this will be fixed?

I haven't been able to use PathFinder since v7!! I've paid, quite a bit, for a product that I'm unable to use. In fact, using the software slows down my day each time it crashes. The crash process takes minutes to complete and locks up my computer!

PLEASE TELL ME WHEN I'LL BE ABLE TO USE PATH FINDER

22. Support Staff 12 Posted by Dragan on 31 Jul, 2019 01:20 PM

Hi msatterwhite,

I'm just not able to reproduce this crash, no matter how hard I try. Hence, I'd like to ask you for small help. I can prepare a special build for you to use. It's completely safe, it's like regular version ,it just adds some more debugging info. If it crashes and you send crash report, the report will contain additional information, which should help me realise where exactly the application crashes and why.

If you're willing to help me with this and want to try this special build, please let me know (here) and I'll prepare it for you and send you the download link.

Thanks for you understanding and patience.

23. 13 Posted by Malte on 31 Jul, 2019 08:53 PM

Is your computer bound to an active directory?
    It only happens to my computers within an active directory. Still not solved...

24. 14 Posted by msatterwhite on 04 Aug, 2019 04:02 PM

Yes.  My computer is bound to active directory.

--
    Michael

25. 15 Posted by msatterwhite on 04 Aug, 2019 04:04 PM

Yes. I’d be happy to help.

--
    Michael

26. Support Staff 16 Posted by Dragan on 07 Aug, 2019 12:05 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your willingness to help. I prepared a special build for you, version 8.6sy1 (build 1975). You can download it here. But you can also update your current copy to it using built-in app updater; just hold the shift button pressed while checking for updates and follow the standard update procedure from then on.

Once this version crashes on you, just provide the crash report, like you used to. That crash report should contain some additional info, which will (hopefully) help me to trace the cause of this the crash.

On a related note… Currently I don't have access to any Win server with Active Directory. Would it be possible for you to somehow provide and enable such access for me, just for testing purposes. Once bounded to it, I'd probably be able to reproduce the crash myself and fix it.

Thanks for your time, patience and support.

27. Support Staff 17 Posted by Dragan on 07 Aug, 2019 02:55 PM

Michael and Malte,
    I'll try to do some testing myself with Win Server installed in the virtual machine. Can you please tell me which version of Win Server are you connected to and when logging to Active Directory, do you login immediately into a domain when logging on a Mac, or later on, when you want to access Win Server network domain?

28. 18 Posted by Malte Mürköster on 07 Aug, 2019 09:18 PM

Hello,

great that you are trying to fix this annoying problem!
    I am connected to a Windows 2008 R2 server. I am bound to this server immediately with startup and am logging in to an AD account (which is a mobile account).

I hope this helps a bit.

I also downloaded the beta app and wanted to help with a crashlog, but (un)fortunately, this time it didn't happen. Did you already change anything on this version? I try it again tomorrow. It used to reproduce the error every day, but today, very strange.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Dr. Malte Mürköster

___
    Facharzt f. Innere Medizin
    Notfallmedizin
    Reisemedizin(CRM)
    Professor-Dessauer-Weg 2
    40225 Düsseldorf
    mobil: +49.151.25360476
    Email: [email blocked]

> Am 07.08.2019 um 16:55 schrieb Dragan <[email blocked]>:
    >
    > From: Dragan (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Pathfinder crashes every day and sometimes ties up my machine for up to 5 minutes! Please FIX!
    >
    > Michael and Malte,
    > I'll try to do some testing myself with Win Server installed in the virtual machine. Can you please tell me which version of Win Server are you connected to and when logging to Active Directory, do you login immediately into a domain when logging on a Mac, or later on, when you want to access Win Server network domain?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/142509-pathfinder-crashes-every-day-and-sometimes-ties-up-my-machine-for-up-to-5-minutes-please-fix
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

29. Support Staff 19 Posted by Dragan on 07 Aug, 2019 11:53 PM

Hi Malte,

No, I haven't changed anything, just added some debugging info. Please keep trying with this special version. It's completely safe, it just adds some debugging info, it doesn't contain any untested code, nor it should affect normal usage and performance.

Thanks.

30. 20 Posted by Malte Mürköster on 08 Aug, 2019 01:37 PM

Hi,

after everything worked surprisingly great, I tried to reproduce the error. It finally worked after I reenabled the global finder function in the preferences and started in column view. Now, every first time I click on the items in column view or right click information the system hangs as usual for ca. 5 minutes.
    No crash report is produced unfortunately.

After I unselected the global finder option, however i couldn’t get Pathfinder to work again…

Since it worked after unselecting and installing a new version I try a reinstall and get back to you.

> Am 08.08.2019 um 01:53 schrieb Dragan <[email blocked]>:
    >
    > Subject: Pathfinder crashes every day and sometimes ties up my machine for up to 5 minutes! Please FIX!
    >
    > Hi Malte,
    >
    > No, I haven't changed anything, just added some debugging info. Please keep trying with this special version. It's completely safe, it just adds some debugging info, it doesn't contain any untested code, nor it should affect normal usage and performance.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/142509-pathfinder-crashes-every-day-and-sometimes-ties-up-my-machine-for-up-to-5-minutes-please-fix <https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/142509-pathfinder-crashes-every-day-and-sometimes-ties-up-my-machine-for-up-to-5-minutes-please-fix>
    >
    > ---
    >

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Dr. Malte Mürköster

--
    Dr. med. Malte Mürköster
    Arzt für Innere Medizin, Notfallmedizin
    Psychotherapie
    Professor-Dessauer-Weg 2
    40225 Düsseldorf
    Tel: +49.211.16012326

31. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Aug, 2019 01:09 PM.

32. Dragan re-opened this discussion on 25 Sep, 2019 01:31 PM

33. Support Staff 21 Posted by Dragan on 25 Sep, 2019 01:31 PM

Hi everyone!

No matter how hard I try to reproduce issues with Path Finder when running on a Mac bound to Active Directory, I haven't succeeded yet. Besides hangs, some users experience crashes as well when bound to AD.

We don't have access to any Window Server with AD. I tried creating similar environment running multiple virtual machines (one running Window Server 2008 R2 with various services configurations, others running bound Macs), but I haven't had any problems with Path Finder running in such configurations.

Hence, I'd like to ask if it would be possible for any of you having these issues to provide an access (with appropriate permissions) to the server you're bound to, so I can login and try to reproduce the issue that way? Because, trying to do so with different virtual machine configurations seems like a dead end.

Thank you in advance for eventual help with this.

34. 22 Posted by Malte Mürköster on 25 Sep, 2019 03:28 PM

Hi,

I am sorry to tell you that I am not using Pathfinder with an ActiveDirectory Binding anymore, hence I am afraid to tell you that I cannot help you.
    I wish you good luck in finding the cause of the issue.

Best regards

> Am 25.09.2019 um 15:31 schrieb Dragan <[email blocked]>:
    >
    >
    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > No matter how hard I try to reproduce issues with Path Finder when running on a Mac bound to Active Directory, I haven't succeeded yet. Besides hangs, some users experience crashes as well when bound to AD.
    >
    > We don't have access to any Window Server with AD. I tried creating similar environment running multiple virtual machines (one running Window Server 2008 R2 with various services configurations, others running bound Macs), but I haven't had any problems with Path Finder running in such configurations.
    >
    > Hence, I'd like to ask if it would be possible for any of you having these issues to provide an access (with appropriate permissions) to the server you're bound to, so I can login and try to reproduce the issue that way? Because, trying to do so with different virtual machine configurations seems like a dead end.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for eventual help with this.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/142509-pathfinder-crashes-every-day-and-sometimes-ties-up-my-machine-for-up-to-5-minutes-please-fix <https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/142509-pathfinder-crashes-every-day-and-sometimes-ties-up-my-machine-for-up-to-5-minutes-please-fix>
    >
    > ---
    >

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Dr. Malte Mürköster

--
    Dr. med. Malte Mürköster
    Arzt für Innere Medizin, Notfallmedizin
    Psychotherapie
    Professor-Dessauer-Weg 2
    40225 Düsseldorf
    Tel: +49.211.16012326

35. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Oct, 2019 10:46 AM.

36. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Oct, 2019 11:06 AM

37. 23 Posted by Olivier Saudan on 24 Oct, 2019 06:57 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Path Finder 8.6 crashes often

Same issue here. Crashes +/- everyday since I upgraded to v8. I'm admin user, I don't bind to an A/D. Attached is my latest crash report.

38. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 08:31 AM.

39. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 08:31 AM

40. 24 Posted by Olivier Saudan on 25 Oct, 2019 10:06 AM

Replying here since the split discussion is closed.
    For me, crashes always happen when waking up the MacBook. I believe this is caused by a network share having disappeared in between, when moving from one network to another.
    Indeed, at home I use a Synology NAS a lot (folders mapped using AFP). Inevitably, at some point the Macbook will be awoken and find it has lost connection with the NAS, typically when I'm at work.

41. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Oct, 2019 01:57 PM.

42. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 25 Oct, 2019 01:58 PM

43. 25 Posted by msatterwhite on 22 Nov, 2019 02:42 PM

Does anyone know if this issue is fixed in PF9? I don't want to go through this again.

44. Support Staff 26 Posted by Dragan on 26 Nov, 2019 06:31 PM

I fixed it (I hope) in version 9.0.4 (build 2021). Nobody has reported such crash anymore using that version. Please try it now and let me know if it still crashes for you.

45. 27 Posted by msatterwhite on 26 Nov, 2019 08:32 PM

That’s great news! I’ve been trying it out and have had great success with
    it so far.

Thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac