PF8 Saved Browsers Not Maintaining Browser State

ncosta

02 Jun, 2019 01:36 PM

Running the most recent version of PathFinder (PF 8.5.1). The Saved Browser feature simply doesn't work. I can set up a browser as I like it, save the browser, and then modify it, and when I create a new one from the New Browser... command, my original configuration is gone.

I've made a screen capture, attached, which details the issue. We start with the default browser, which opens in list view with one pane and two modules on the side. I first create a browser with dual panes open and save it as a preset. I then close the second pane and move the Preview module to a second left sidebar, and save this as another preset. Then I close the window and start opening presets. When I open the "Dual-Pane" preset, it opens the last configuration opened -- that which was supposedly saved as "Previewer." The same occurs when I open "Previewer." Now, when I open "Default Browser", it opens the last configuration, but with dual panes open! This makes no sense whatsoever.

In looking through the forums, it seems that this issue has been posted multiple times, but it does not seem to be getting fixed. Can we get a QA review of this feature to get it working properly?

ADDENDUM: It seems the Cocoatech Forums have some bugs of their own... I attempted to attach the video file (4.2 MB compressed, .mp4) to this post, as the "Attach File" function below states that I can attach files up to 10MB. When I submit, though, I am greeted with a 413 error -- Request Entity Too Large. Put it on your fix list!

1. 1 Posted by ncosta on 02 Jun, 2019 01:40 PM

Compressed the video extra-small for the Cocoatech forums. See above.

2. 2 Posted by Daron B on 02 Jun, 2019 04:38 PM

This is the same issue I reported last week. I had thought it was fixed but alas the problem is now back. The only 'fix' is to quit PF8, re-load it and then open the saved browser which then opens correctly - not ideal at all.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Jun, 2019 10:35 AM

Hi Nicholas and Daron, 

Thanks for your feedback!

Currently, this is the expected behavior. Saved Browser is supposed to save your current view of tabs only.

That being said, your feedback is always appreciated and we are open to updating this behavior. I have forwarded your messages to our developers as a feature request for consideration. 

We appreciate your continued support of Path Finder!
    Make sure to let us know should any further questions/ideas arise. 

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2019 10:35 AM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2019 01:05 PM

6. 4 Posted by ncosta on 03 Jun, 2019 11:56 PM

Jordan,

Thanks for your response. I do appreciate you forwarding this to your development team, as the way you describe this behavior as expected does not make sense to me. At present, there is already an existing feature to save a tab set -- File > Tabs > Save Set... should perform this function. Why then would the Save Browser feature only save tabs? It would make more sense to customize the entire setup of a browser and then save that configuration with this command. I hope we can get this in PathFinder!

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jun, 2019 07:35 AM

Hi Nicholas,

This is the historical behavior of Save Browser. As we further update Path Finder and develop modules concept, we will reconsider these options to make sure they work well with the newest features.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jun, 2019 07:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac