Favorites disappeared

Robert Houze

21 May, 2019 04:42 PM

I have built my favorites list over many years, and they all just disappeared. How do I get them back?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 May, 2019 03:00 PM

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reaching us!

When have they disappeared? Was it after Path Finder or macOS update, perhaps?
    Could you please try a reboot and see if they come back?

If not, do you have any backups?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 May, 2019 03:00 PM.

3. Robert Houze re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2019 03:57 PM

4. 2 Posted by Robert Houze on 28 May, 2019 03:57 PM

I am still having major difficulties. My favorites disappear every time
    that I close and re-open path finder. I have tried everything I can think
    of. I've restarted numerous times. I tried updating to path finder 8.5.1.
    The problem still existed. I finally deleted all previous versions of the
    path finder app and downloaded the trial version of 8.5.1. It still does
    the same thing. Whenever I quit path finder and reopen it the favorites
    that I dragged and dropped into the favorites stack have disappeared. Can
    you help. I've used path finder for many years with no problem and now this
    has started and is completely messing up my file navigation. My macbook pro
    is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. Please HELP!!!

Robert Houze
      Professor Emeritus, Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
      Laboratory Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (ret.)
      524 ATG Bldg., Box 351640
      Seattle, Washington 98195-1640 USA
      206 498 5930
      Publications: www.atmos.washington.edu/~houze/pubs
    <http://www.atmos.washington.edu/%7Ehouze/pubs>
      Other info: www.atmos.washington.edu/~houze/
    <http://www.atmos.washington.edu/%7Ehouze/>

5. 3 Posted by Jan Baumann on 12 Jun, 2019 11:20 AM

I have the same problem and have basically stopped using favourites because of this bug. Sad that the source hasn't been found and fixed yet. Favourites were an important shortcut for me, and I would really appreciate if they would work again. I am running MacOS 10.14 and the latest Path Finder 8 version. I have had this issue since updating to Path Finder 8.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jun, 2019 06:47 AM

Hi Robert,

Do you see the same issue with Path Finder 8.5.4?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2019 06:47 AM.

8. Robert Houze re-opened this discussion on 20 Jun, 2019 06:35 PM

9. 5 Posted by Robert Houze on 20 Jun, 2019 06:35 PM

So far 8.54 has been stable.

Robert Houze
      Professor Emeritus, Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
      Laboratory Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (ret.)
      524 ATG Bldg., Box 351640
      Seattle, Washington 98195-1640 USA
      206 498 5930
      Publications: www.atmos.washington.edu/~houze/pubs
    <http://www.atmos.washington.edu/%7Ehouze/pubs>
      Other info: www.atmos.washington.edu/~houze/
    <http://www.atmos.washington.edu/%7Ehouze/>

10. 6 Posted by gds on 20 Jun, 2019 07:16 PM

I am also seeing this problem. Favourites disappear often, and always when there is a Pathfinder crash (alas this is most days).
    Path Finder 8.5.4
    macOS 10.14.5

Cheers,

Geoff

11. 7 Posted by gds on 20 Jun, 2019 07:24 PM

BTW- it might help to tell us which file or folder to back up, then we may be able to manually restore favourites as a work-around. TIA

12. 8 Posted by Jerry Hendon on 20 Jun, 2019 07:46 PM

As of sometime yesterday, I no longer can see my favorites, devices, shared, recent documents, recent folders, Search for, and Tags.

Compared my settings to another Mac with the same version, 8.5.4 which is wording fine. Can't find anyway to change settings, etc, to be able to see them.

Any help appreciated.

13. 9 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 21 Jun, 2019 08:06 AM

@ gds on Jun 20, 2019 @ 12:24 PM BTW- it might help to tell us which file or folder to back up, then we may be able to manually restore favourites as a work-around. TIA

Hi, I'm just a user like you, but here are the two locations I have found where Path Finder stores sessions data. Because of Path Finder's pretty much daily crashes (8.5.4), I routinely back up these two locations. SEE SCREENSHOTS BELOW.

1. PREFERENCES — USER ACCOUNT

/Volumes/YourStartupDrive/YourHomeFolder/Library/Preferences

2. APPLICATION SUPPORT — PATH FINDER — SETTINGS

/Volumes/YourStartupDrive/YourHomeFolder/Library/Application Support/Pathfinder/Settings

See next post for suggested way to easily keep a current backup of these 2 files/folders

14. 10 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 21 Jun, 2019 08:31 AM

Here is my suggestion for how you can easily make and keep backups of your current Path Finder settings, so you can then easily restore things how they last were. Everything typed below is illustrated in screenshots that follow at the end of this post.

DISCLAIMER! I AM JUST A USER, I AM NOT AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH PATH FINDER SUPPORT. So user discretion advised. However, this method works perfectly. I originally discovered this method googling last year.

1. Essentially, you just highlight the given backup file/folder, right-click, then select COMPRESS, let it create a zipped file, then go rename that file to append today's date at the end of the file name. And then just let that file be exactly where it is. They are pretty small files, so as far as I have experienced, the esistence of a zipped file in any of the given Mac system level folders does nothing at all to the normal performance of your computer.

2. And then the good news is, should you want to restore to your saved settings file, you just go to that PREFERENCES or APPLICATION SUPPORT folder, rename the CURRENT Path Finder file to xxxxxxx_OLD, then double click your zip file, it extracts right in the correct folder, then rename that extracted folder, removing the _date that you added when creating the zipped backup file. It's all very clean and easy, and you are not likely to ever get mixed up.

3. And if for whatever reason your use of the backed-up file doesn't give you the result you wanted, you then can easily revert back by deleting the just-extracted backup folder, then double click on what was your default Path Finder zipped backup file, then rename the extracted folder, removing the appended _date.

4. What I also do is drag the actual system-level Preferences and Application Support folders into my sidebar, thus creating instant shortcuts to where my Pathfinder backup data lives.

This is actually very quick and easy, takes a matter of seconds, vs the time it takes to read this post!

15. 11 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 21 Jun, 2019 08:33 AM

16. 12 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 21 Jun, 2019 09:48 AM

One more thing I wanted to share here. I do not know if this is what happened to anyone else, but if we are talking about FAVORITES in your Sidebar in Path Finder, then maybe it is worth checking this out next time it happens to see if you experience something similar to what I experience all the time.

SUMMARY: This happens sometimes when I quit the Pathfinder app. When I reopen Pathfinder sometimes my Favorites appear to be gone, but in my case, what I have discovered is that they have all changed in icon size from the way I had set them, and the Favorites are actually there, but they just slid out of view in the sidebar module.

The remedy, in this situation, is to open the cog-wheel in the HEADER for the Sidebar module and re-adjust the icon sizes, and every time, after I do this the Favorites reappear correctly. If this is not what is happening in your cases mentioned in this thread, I apologize if I am giving anyone any false hope.

SEE SCREENSHOTS 1-5 BELOW THIS POST:

17. 13 Posted by Hendon Jerry on 21 Jun, 2019 02:44 PM

Richard,

Thanks for the helpful info.

My real issue I no longer see the sidebar and haven’t yet figured out how to updates settings to see it.

Regards,

Hendon Jerry
    [email blocked]

18. 14 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 21 Jun, 2019 06:52 PM

Jerry, I'm on my phone, not in front of my Mac, but let me throw this out. Look under the menu bar for Pathfinder under VIEW or TOOLS or WINDOWS or any other menus. In one of them is the item "Modules". Select this. You will get a pop up matrix of icons and labels. These modules enable drag & drop adding of features and interface elements to the Pathfinder browser. Look for SIDEBAR. Then drag & drop this to snap into your browser. "FAVORITES" is a subset of SIDEBAR.

try this

19. 15 Posted by Hendon Jerry on 22 Jun, 2019 09:38 PM

Richard, your suggestions worked. I now can see my Sidebar and all its entries.

Thank you very much. I had seen the Modules, but never used them. May have to do some more time looking at how to use them.

Regards,

Hendon Jerry
    [email blocked]

20. 16 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 23 Jun, 2019 02:01 AM

Hendon Jerry, I am so happy that worked for you. "MODULES" is absolutely terrible nomenclature or naming for a Mac-based mainstream product like Pathfinder. It's completely unintuitive and more belongs in complex component products like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro. so why would anyone using a Mac Finder replacement think "My favorites aren't showing up! Oh I know! I'll just look for them under the WINDOW menu, then select and activate "MODULES" Then I'll just drag a module as a snap-on to the main finder window."

If I were the UX Architect on the Path Finder product team, I would use a term more like "Finder Add-Ons", and place it under the VIEW menu, where people are used to in other software finding where you TURN ON and TURN OFF various toolbars like Bookmarks, Status Bar, Path Bar etc.

While I greatly appreciate the excellent product support offered in these forums from people like Jordan on the Path Finder support team, I have such disrespect for the Product Team members themselves, who almost never listen to product feedback, and arrogantly just work on features they want vs listening to users. It's a level of arrogance that you would more typically find at Google. (Sorry but that's my editorial comment. )

21. Support Staff 17 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Jun, 2019 07:32 PM

Hi All,

Besides, if you experience any issues with favorites retention on Path Finder 8.5.4, we would really appreciate if you report when this usually happens, or better if you are able to reproduce this issue.

Please do write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

22. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Jun, 2019 07:32 PM.

23. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Jun, 2019 07:35 PM

24. 18 Posted by Curt on 26 Jun, 2019 04:25 PM

I also see this daily. Each time I close and re-open Pathfinder 8.5.4 my favorites are gone.

25. 19 Posted by cocoatech on 01 Jul, 2019 05:16 PM

I note the 8.5.4 my Favorites are now the default ones and I cannot edit them.

Also my Time Machine backups show frequent updates of the plist up to end of January and then none until 20/5 (the loss of favorites could be end of May)

26. 20 Posted by cocoatech on 12 Jul, 2019 06:40 PM

I nite that Path Finder support have not responded after receivbing info re 8.6.4 but to make it clear.

I cannot delete from Favorites.

Adding a folder does not stay

It all reverts to the original and has deleted all my favorites set up since PF3.

Would support please explicitly answer including which is the file that holds the favorites

27. Support Staff 21 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Jul, 2019 11:30 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply.

Unfortunately, in your case it's hard to come up with a good way to test this scenario or investigate it without trying to see what went wrong with favorites or preferences in general. Our developers are working on a better and more robust preferences storage system.

Currently, your preferences are stored in the following items:
    /Library/Application Support/Path Finder/ (directory)
    /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (file)
    /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Path Finder (directory)

You may backup those items in order to restore them later should any issues occur. Richard made a nice how-to instruction above.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

28. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2019 11:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac