Is it safe to go to PF8?

tcris52

16 May, 2019 07:20 AM

Early- to mid-last year there was a lot of discontent with PF8. There were several threads in this forum about rolling back. I was not happy with PF8 (I can't even tell you why at this point) so I was one of the people that went back to PF7. I'm just wondering what the thoughts are several months later. Any problems that are a red flag for updating?

I've got a Mac Mini that's stopped at High Sierra and a MacBook that's got Mojave.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dhnyny on 17 May, 2019 04:12 AM

Cocoatech could help users like you and me by providing detailed release notes for each update so we can see what's been changed/fixed/added/subtracted/etc. This isn't exactly a rare thing for software developers to do.

Update: I stand corrected; release notes are available.

2. 2 Posted by Nigel on 17 May, 2019 03:30 PM

Yes, I rolled back too. Waiting for positive reports before I upgrade. I agree that release notes would help.

3. 3 Posted by japchap on 18 May, 2019 05:53 AM

I've stuck with PF8, and many of the usability issues in previous versions seem to have been resolved. The new modules feature wasn't too appealing to me at first, but now I've come to appreciate the flexibility of being able to reposition panes anywhere in the window, customize their appearance and so on. (I miss not being able to quickly hide the sidebar using a menu command, though—with PF8, you have to remove the module altogether if you don't want it, and then re-add it when you need it.)

Also, the tags are still not too easy to use in PF8, IMHO. Finder is easier and more intuitive. I do like how PF8 retains the method of displaying tagged files by coloring the entire filename and its details, rather than just adding a tiny colored dot like Finder (still) does (see attached example).

Aside from the modules and better stability (at least in my use case), PF hasn't changed a great deal since PF7, but it still remains as a very capable alternative to Finder with many more options (as well as a few missing). Stability of PF8 has gotten better since its initial release.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 May, 2019 06:50 AM

Hi,

Release notes for Path Finder 8 can be found on our main site in the Support section.

japchap,

What seems to not work for you in terms of tags management? We'd love to have your feedback.
    As for hiding the sidebar/side modules, it's a bit different now that the modules can be added to all 4 edges, without limits, in various positions. 
    I will forward your feedback to our developers as a feature request!

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 May, 2019 06:50 AM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 May, 2019 06:52 AM

7. 5 Posted by tcris52 on 18 May, 2019 12:17 PM

Well, I'll give it another go. I've uninstalled PF7 with AppDelete, sending it to an archive. I've installed PF8 and will, see how it goes.

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 May, 2019 05:00 PM.

9. tcris52 re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2019 05:43 AM

10. 6 Posted by tcris52 on 28 May, 2019 05:43 AM

I've gone with PF8 since my May 18 post, above. It seems to be stable and OK, but I am not happy with the inability to close the shelves. I find it very annoying to have them always there, even when they are not needed. Why can't Path Finder 8 use the technology that PF7 had and offer a menubar item to open and close them as desired?

11. 7 Posted by webregnet on 28 May, 2019 09:26 AM

+1 @tcris52

Until this feature will be re implemented, I will keep going on with PF7.

12. 8 Posted by joel.h.anderson on 28 May, 2019 10:12 AM

PathFinder support asked about what, specifically, is problematic about tagging in PF8.5 (which I just installed)

I'm attaching below, a previous help forum discussion with Dragan from PathFinder support, with my response.

These problems have not improved. It's still the case that PF fails to find many, many of the tags in use on my Mac. It's too bad, but this is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe if macOS 10.15 sorts out its issues with metadata, I'll be able to return to Pathfinder – or if Cocoatech shifts its focus from tag groups (does anyone actually use that?) to addressing fundamental issues with tagging.

Posted by Dragan on Mar 30, 2015 @ 02:19 PM Yeah, we're also not completely happy with this implementation, but there's nothing we can do as long as Finder's tags database is not available, or at least there is some kind of notification system to notify 3rd party apps when the database changes. The only way we can keep Path Finder tags database in sync is to check for tags not in Path Finder database every time Path Finder touches a tagged file.

But the the recognition of tags is erratic. For some tags, even if I have used PF to open a file with that tag – indeed, even if I have added the tag for a file (by typing it out), it is still not included in the list of tags visible under “Manage tag groups,” and it doesn’t autocomplete the tag. This makes PF unusable for tagging, and thus unusable for me. It’s just too much work and too confusing to try to keep track of hundreds of tags (and get it exactly right each time). I don’t have this problem with HoudahSpot, so it doesn’t seem to be unsurmountable.

13. 9 Posted by tcris52 on 28 May, 2019 10:20 AM

@webregent I am going to roll back to PF7 very soon. These shelves make it too unwieldy for use. I don't see anything in PF8 that makes it a significant upgrade from PF7.

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 May, 2019 11:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac