Invisible file names on Desktop, NOT in Dark Mode! PF 8.3.9/Mojave 10.14.5

christian210

14 May, 2019 06:38 PM

I have browsed older threads, and I understand PF had limited support for Dark Mode, at least at first (all posts I saw were from 2018). I'm having the same problem mentioned in those threads, except everyone says their file names become invisible (against a dark background) in Dark Mode. My problem is the exact opposite: having no interest in Dark Mode, my file names disappeared in Light Mode. The only workaround I could find was to use Dark Mode against my will when I need to see file names on the desktop (for instance, in order to rename a hard drive on the Desktop).

I already had Mojave 10.14 installed without issue; it was only AFTER upgrading my SSD and using Migration Assistant to bring my apps and data over to a fresh copy of Mojave 10.14.4 (which automatically updated to 10.14.15; I didn't knowingly facilitate it) that my Desktop items' names became invisible (over the same desktop background as before). Photo is not attached as example because somehow the 1MB file is too large for the 10MB limit.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 May, 2019 12:27 PM

Hi Christian,

Thanks for contacting us!

Could you please try disabling "Use system colors" in Path Finder -> Preferences -> Appearance tab? 

Would you mind attaching a screenshot as a direct download link from Dropbox, for example?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 May, 2019 12:27 PM.

3. christian210 re-opened this discussion on 15 May, 2019 02:46 PM

4. 2 Posted by christian210 on 15 May, 2019 02:46 PM

Hi Jordan,

That did the trick! Much to my chagrin, I overlooked that simple option several times as I perused PF's preferences. I wanted to reply here in case someone else also couldn't find the answer elsewhere. I will add that I was a bit confused at first because the changes didn't take effect immediately; it seems a restart of Path Finder is required for the changes to take effect.

And for what it's worth, I found some Terminal commands that supposedly turn off Dark Mode support on a per app basis. Interestingly, it did not work for Path Finder, but in case someone wants to try it for other apps, here's a link to instructions.
    https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/exclude-app-dark-mode-macos-mojave/

Thanks!

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 May, 2019 02:57 PM

Hi,

We are glad to assist! Please make sure to write us back should any further questions arise.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 May, 2019 02:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac