Clicking Name/Kind/Size etc. ↑ or ↓ renders GLOBAL PERMANENT CHANGE... and more!

christian210

14 May, 2019 05:08 PM

I will only mention one of several problems because my post it "too long," so this has been edited from original...

... as mentioned in the subject line, any time I attempt to TEMPORARILY modify the groupings in a browser window, the change becomes permanent for some indeterminate length of time (a matter of weeks, not hours). For instance, all my files in the browser are grouped alphabetically by name be default... but if I want to list them according to size for just a moment and I click the "size" column header (in the browser, of course, not the drop down menu), all my browser views are now permanently grouped according to size, no matter how many times I go back and manually override that setting. It will temporarily reset it when I click the "name" column again, but everywhere else on the computer it has now become a global change. It should be as simple as clicking the "name" column again, but even attempting to correct it through various preference and "view options" settings never produces the permanent change. The only remedy I've found is to manually click "name" and manually put it in the alphabetical order I prefer, but I have to do that at every folder level, no matter how deep, which is tedious and there is no guarantee the change will stick (if it's on an external drive, I don't think it keeps the change).

As a result, what should be a "temporary" setting becomes permanent by default. Ironically, the setting remains permanent for several weeks; even if it were a bug that accidentally caused the temporary change to be permanent, then it should be easily reversed upon clicking the original preferred column view.

This single issue, which has persisted for years across various versions, now has me on the verge of uninstalling even though I had to purchase yet another license upgrade when I moved to Mac OS Mojave. Strangely, the app behaved fine for the first several weeks in Mojave, so I assumed the bug had been fixed. At first I toggled views as a last resort in case the bug was simply going unnoticed, but around the time I felt assured the bug had been fixed, it has once again literally turned my file browsing preferences upside down.

I have other problems, but this is the one I can no longer tolerate.

1. christian210 closed this discussion on 14 May, 2019 05:14 PM.

2. christian210 re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2019 05:20 PM

3. 1 Posted by christian210 on 14 May, 2019 05:20 PM

I was unable to find this topic beforehand, but kudos to cocoatech's support system for generating this suggestion which seems to have worked. I'll leave the post up in case someone else doesn't find the OP.

I'm unable to get a unique link, but the "subject" that helped me is below. Just search for some of the terms:
    "Performance → "All windows/This window only" view options settings"

All hail Cocoatech and our beloved Path Finder!

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 May, 2019 03:00 PM

Hi,

I'm glad you were able to resolve this!

I believe this is the article you've mentioned: "All windows/This window only" view options settings :)

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 May, 2019 03:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac